Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phonebook Query

Hi everyone,

I have the HTC desire which syncs the phonebook to my car, however all the names are sorted by last name first. This might not seem that annoying at first, but when i have a hundred or so phonebook entries, some listed as company names, or Joe Bloggs mobile, its a bit awkward.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sort contacts in the directory by first name? Do i need to do anything with my phone?

Any help much appreciated!

I think Biggie mentioned a way you can change the way music is listed in folders by holding the "List" button for a few seconds, maybe it's the same for the phone book

Comment

Guessing phone?

My directory is like for like as it appears on my phone, I have Nokia and syncs as I have set it up as Name > Surname.

On your phone, by going - People > Menu > View. But you may have done that!! If no one has cleared this up tonight I'll check my car tomorrow and see what the settings are there.
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Yes this annoyed me today to. I also have a Nokia and on the phone have it arranged First Name, Last Name so probably not related. Will try this List button thing tomorrow though.
        DSport HDi 110 in Belle Ile Blue/Onyx Black

Comment

The Phonebook list is dependent on how your mobile shares the information with the car, but check to see what setting your mobile has for phonebook listings.
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Ive tried holding list down and it doesnt work. Also, on the HTC desire you have to go into edit contact to change how a persons name is displayed, and all of mine are set up as first name first.

Can anyone confirm that their directory on the car shows up as first name first - if not, maybe the car automatically sorts them by surname first....?

Comment

When my HTC is connected it shows first names first on the list.
              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
              Bigfeet's File Repository
              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

hmm.... Any idea how i would change my phone settings?!

Comment

Ok . . . .

So went here:

Then:

Selected two people who have Name & Surname data, not silly nickname.

Checked my Nokia N8 to see what they were saved as, when I exported the data over from my other Nokia, it has combined names so they where Name: (blank) Surname: Alex Muzgrave/John Hadley.

So I changed them on my phone so each had a seperate Name & Surname and then changed my phone to display Name>Surname on my phone but still did:

Every setting for name display I selected on my phone had no effect on the display on my car if they person saved had a name & surname saved seperately . . . . .

Thats my input!
                  My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Thanks Joni for taking the time to do that in depth investigation!!

For how much it annoys me i think i might actually spend arf an our one day to put all name info on my phone into the surname box, and leave the first name box blank.

Its a shame you cant adjust the settings on the car, but its seems a work-around has been found.

Everyone's comments and help much appreciated as always.

Comment

hmm.. well now im really stumped... just tested this out by deleting the phone pairing, then changing some of the contacts in my phone to surname only (blank first name), paired the phone again and still no change! It has still somehow rearranged the contacts to show surname first!

Joni, could you please clarify what arrangement you had when the contacts displayed first name, then surname. ie. how did it show up on your phone when you paired it to your car?

Comment

Originally posted by qwijibo View Post
                        Joni, could you please clarify what arrangement you had when the contacts displayed first name, then surname. ie. how did it show up on your phone when you paired it to your car?
                        On my phone both names are saved in one field. So where as it should be:
                        Name: John
                        Surname: Hadley

It is
                        Name:
                        Surname: John Hadley
                        My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

I'd also prefer to sort by first name (like my iPhone does) but haven't been able to.
                          What would be even more useful is to be able to just scroll down a recent calls list as although I've got over 300 no's in the phone, I prob only regularly need to call about 10.
                          I believe you can do this in a C5, anyone figure out if the DS3 (without sat nav) can display call list?
                          Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by PFree View Post
                            I'd also prefer to sort by first name (like my iPhone does) but haven't been able to.
                            What would be even more useful is to be able to just scroll down a recent calls list as although I've got over 300 no's in the phone, I prob only regularly need to call about 10.
                            I believe you can do this in a C5, anyone figure out if the DS3 (without sat nav) can display call list?
                            Thanks...
                            If you hold down the button at the end of the radio stalk, this displays the phone menu, which should allow you to select between 'Directory' or 'Call List'.

Will have to have a fiddle with my phone to see if i can sort this - anyone have the HTC Desire and has managed to sort by first name???

Comment

Thanks qwijibo but I only get the option of directory without call list. Thought I'd try to add a space to my most called numbers surnames to get them up front but when I gp to consult device nothing happens....
                              How do I get car to refresh directory from phone? Anyone know...

Comment

Working...
                              X