Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphone/iPod or USB stck?

Hi,

For those who are lucky enough to have their cars, which is the more convenient? playing music from an iPhone/iPod or putting your favorites onto a USB stick and playing from there?
    Is there any difference in how the music is displayed (is, artist/album etc).

If there is no difference I'll be tempted just to get a cheap memory stick to leave in the car full time.

Cheers
    Rich

ps. I will have the connection pack
    Last edited by Richtea; 20-06-2010, 13:14.

I have my iPod connected via the USB socket and to be honest, works a treat. Just plays albums though, not playlists - all from the right entertainment stalk, however, nowt to stop you creating an 'album' of your fav tracks and using that as a playlist I suppose.

Haven't tried using a USB stick as such, can't really see the point when all my stuff sits happily on my iPod.

Comment

After some experimentation I've managed at last to get my iPhone to play music via bluetooth - it seems to work very well too - but strangely if I try to connect the iPhone via the USB port while bluetooth is enabled, it won't play (or rather, no sound comes out - the car's display indicates that the track is playing!). In order to get the iPhone to play music via the USB I have to turn off bluetooth, which then b*ggers up the mobile phone connectivity!

Then why bother with the USB connection? Because it also charges the phone, and streaming music via bluetooth is quite power hungry and runs the iPhone batteries down quickly.

So, my best solution so far is to listen to music via bluetooth while connecting the iPhone via the USB cable in order to charge it up!

Maybe I'm missing something - does anyone have a better solution for using an iPhone while on the move?

Comment

For short journeys I tend to play the music from my Iphone via the bluetooth so the phone is still working, and the charge the Iphone if needed via the 12v power socket. On long trips its the Ipod via USB. It just gets a bit messy with all the cables around the handbrake though

Comment

Originally posted by smill141 View Post
          For short journeys I tend to play the music from my Iphone via the bluetooth so the phone is still working, and the charge the Iphone if needed via the 12v power socket. On long trips its the Ipod via USB. It just gets a bit messy with all the cables around the handbrake though
          buy a memory stick i have a 4gb memory stick and have all my music on there no need for wires.

Comment

Originally posted by smill141 View Post
            Do you have to turn bluetooth off for it to play through the USB?

Comment

Cheers for all the replies, very helpful.

Originally posted by alcaz1wolf View Post
              buy a memory stick i have a 4gb memory stick and have all my music on there no need for wires.
              Does it still list Album/artist etc from the USB stick?

Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtea View Post
                Cheers for all the replies, very helpful.
                lps

Does it still list Album/artist etc from the USB stick?

Rich.
                Yeh Rich Lists Album/artist from usb stick....I use a Micro SD card with a card reader...Hope this helps Clarky.

Comment

Originally posted by gar074 View Post
                  Do you have to turn bluetooth off for it to play through the USB?
                  No, when using the ipod via the USB the bluetooth is still active for the Iphone for the mobile phone and I can still play the music from the iphone if I want to.

Comment

you could also try usind a usb hub so you can connect more than one item eg iphone and a memory stick .should run like on your computer.

Comment

I really want to have the sleekest option really. I hate having wires stretching all over the cabin so I'll probably go for a small memory stick in the USB port and my iPhone connected via Bluetooth for calls.

Cheers guys,
                      Rich

Comment

So why can you not use your iphone for the music aswell as the mobile phone, mine works perfectly well like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Richtea View Post
                          I really want to have the sleekest option really. I hate having wires stretching all over the cabin so I'll probably go for a small memory stick in the USB port and my iPhone connected via Bluetooth for calls.

Cheers guys,
                          Rich
                          That's the one bummer about it really, having that big ass cable connected to the iPod, in fact, they've could've done with putting those sockets in a better place altogether, I initially started leaving my pod in the hole under the handbrake, until I kept catching or thumbing the iPod when releasing it and dislodging the fecking cable! Cack!

Comment

I bought a 16 GB usb flash drive put about 6 gig worth of music on it, putting it in the car could only find some of the albums in the directory so it looks like there is a size limit on flash drives, by the way the best format is FAT32 dont try and format your flash drive with NTFS it wont like it.
                            Has anybody out there used an ipod nano? as i'm thinking of hard wiring one in by jumping the the usb in parrallel to the glovebox

Comment

Originally posted by floydy View Post
                              I bought a 16 GB usb flash drive put about 6 gig worth of music on it, putting it in the car could only find some of the albums in the directory so it looks like there is a size limit on flash drives, by the way the best format is FAT32 dont try and format your flash drive with NTFS it wont like it.
                              Has anybody out there used an ipod nano? as i'm thinking of hard wiring one in by jumping the the usb in parrallel to the glovebox
                              Could it have anything to do the problem I've come up against - Mpeg 4 files are not recognised - see my separate thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X