MP3/USB FM transmitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3/USB FM transmitter

I know I could go for the old plug it in the wee input hole route but just looking at options.

Ideally I would love to just shove tunes from my pc on a memory stick and ram that into the car to play them . . I do have an iphone but I tend to make calls with that . .rather than having it plugged into the stero for tunes.

So a cheapo mp3 player on a transmitter? is the quality good. Do they do an fm transmitter you can simply plug a usb key into?

Ive googled it but it just keeps brinign up ipod stuffs.

The citroen fitted box is pricy according to the internet (around £200 fitted??)
    Red / Black DStyle+ . . a petrol cause its rude not too.

Perhaps something like this? but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't want to use your iPhone with the AUX connection...your best bet is just to buy a cheap MP3 player, and use the AUX with that.

FM Transmitters are really only used when there are no input options other than Radio/CD. They're not ideal, mostly low quality and you get interference.

Comment

Originally posted by x6411 View Post
      Perhaps something like this? but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't want to use your iPhone with the AUX connection...your best bet is just to buy a cheap MP3 player, and use the AUX with that.

FM Transmitters are really only used when there are no input options other than Radio/CD. They're not ideal, mostly low quality and you get interference.
      Ordered one of those from Amazon yesterday.

If it doesn't work I'll bin it .

OP If you're willing to wait I'll give you my opinions on it next week (assuming it arrives )

Comment

Wouldnt bother ordering one... they are shockingly bad
        White & Black DS3 Sport Plus 150THP

Comment

Just Get A Cheapy MP3 Player Off eBay...

Comment

Used the aux unput at the weekend, 1m lead for 1.99 of ebay. Its rather good sound for what it is.

Im gonna go down the cheapo mp3 player that I can also charge off the lighter socket, route

Sill intrigued to how the cheapo card reading radio fm thingy goes, dont forget to post up!
            Red / Black DStyle+ . . a petrol cause its rude not too.

Comment

Right.

Got the USB FM Transmitter thing yesterday. Horsed in a 4gb USB stick - tuned into 107 FM and pressed play.

Sounds alright - about what I was expecting.

Controls for navigating through the folders / tracks are best described as pish.

Had it in for 4 journeys and it seems to start up OK - pretty quick from engine start to music being played.

Changed the frequency as the first one got a bit of intereference but it's alright now.

If it were any more than a tenner it wouldn't be worth the punt.

I don't expect it will last too long - but I usually use the radio and only switch to my own music if there's an annoying tw@t on the radio !

Comment

I always thought that these transmitters were technically not legal because what you are doing is becoming a 'pirate' radio station.
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

They were in theory illegal once, but the laws were changed at the end of 2006 so they are perfectly fine now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_tran...y_developments

It's annoying driving past people with these things though when you have them tuned into the same frequency, or they choose to use similar frequencies to normal radio stations and you get a random mix of your music and theirs.
                  Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Tried to use one before when I was travelling to Blackpool.. had to change the frequency a lot as you'd soon end up near an area where a radio station that was using that frequency.. so you'd get a lot of interference

AUX is definitely the best option if you don't have USB

Comment

Originally posted by x6411 View Post
                      Tried to use one before when I was travelling to Blackpool.. had to change the frequency a lot as you'd soon end up near an area where a radio station that was using that frequency.. so you'd get a lot of interference

AUX is definitely the best option if you don't have USB
                      Why bother with an FM modulator when you have an aux input? In big cities such as London or Birmingham there are so many bedroom pirate radio stations that finding a free frequency is nigh on impossible. I used to find my diet of hard rock interspersed with bhangra and rap!

Comment

Originally posted by Déesse trois View Post
                        Why bother with an FM modulator when you have an aux input?
                        I agree, this was our last car when we didn't have AUX.

In the DS3 we use USB

Comment

Working...
                        X