Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone replaced their headunit?

Hi Guys

New to the site and really thinking about buying a DS3. Trying to decide what spec to go for, in my current car i've got a kenwood dvd player which i would take out and use again. I've read a few bits that some of the settings for the car are controlled through the standard radio. I was also thinking about the MyWay Sat Nav but from what I can gather this is all powered by the headunit provided? Any feedback i'd be grateful for.

Tom

Hi Tommy, welcome to the forum!

I've gone with the satnav and am really impressed with it. Inputting street names etc can be a tad tedious if you're on the move however the GUI is very nice.

The hifi system built into Dsport also produces a brilliant sound quality.

With the standard headunit you're able to control the satnav, radio, cd, audio player and view information on the car e.g. mpg. I'm not too sure how well a non-standard headunit would fair tbh =/
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I ran a car pc in my previous car and still have it sitting on my desk. I've contemplated putting it into the DS3 but as everythings so integrated it'd probably be crazy to do so, the only option I can see is to run it alongside the existing hardware and use the aux to input the sound.

I didnt consider the sat-nav as its too expensive, I run a standalone garmin instead as its much easier (and cheaper) to update the maps and POI.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenRR View Post
        I ran a car pc in my previous car and still have it sitting on my desk. I've contemplated putting it into the DS3 but as everythings so integrated it'd probably be crazy to do so, the only option I can see is to run it alongside the existing hardware and use the aux to input the sound.

I didnt consider the sat-nav as its too expensive, I run a standalone garmin instead as its much easier (and cheaper) to update the maps and POI.
        You'd be suprised. With the satnav there's a small port just below the radio that holds the SD card with maps, POI's etc.. Very useful IMO!

Anyone taken the radio out so far? It's be interesting to see what's possible in regards to uprating the sound and fitting a sub/amp..
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
          You'd be suprised. With the satnav there's a small port just below the radio that holds the SD card with maps, POI's etc.. Very useful IMO!

Anyone taken the radio out so far? It's be interesting to see what's possible in regards to uprating the sound and fitting a sub/amp..
          I'd also be keen to hear whether anyone's looked into upgrading the speakers, which seem to be a weak point. On the DSport it's not possible to put much welly through the subwoofer without creating annoying vibration and distortion.

Comment

It will be the same situation as the C2....If you change the headunit...you can change the time etc etc, obviously because the old unit controls this

Comment

looking at it it looks to be the same set up as the c2.
              You can buy all types of adapters to keep your steering wheel controls etc. not as hard as it used to be.
              C2 GT #2003

LIFE HAS RULES & SO DO THESE FORUMS.... DS3Club rules: Click Here

Comment

If you wanted to keep the standard HU, but also have an aftermarket audio setup, all you would need is a signal processor.

The JL Cleansweep, Audison BitOne, JBL MS-8 all do the same job - Take a signal from speaker level inputs, allow you to EQ them and then send out through RCA into an amp.

Comment

Lot of the car functions are controlled via the headunit so you would probably have problems there.

Changed the headunits in our C2s using Alpine gear and only lost the ability to program the clock, but did have all steering wheel controls etc.

In the DS3, you would also have stuff like daylight RL, dash brightness etc. all gone. Of course, if someone brings out an interface box that gives that all back, then you are laughing.

As an experiment, I removed the headunit from our DS3 (DSport) and everything continued to work just fine, but obviously cannot change anything settings wise.

So, only thing we are doing are changing the door speakers to something a bit meatier and then lots of sound deadning in the boot. The boot mounted sub is actually a good unit, but its all the trim back there that vibrates, so am going to damp that all down.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Great post Ian!

Comment

I wonder if this would do the job
                      http://www.autodvdgps.com/citroen-c4...62iivl1a9bi0v3

It looks like it would fit the ds3 with the MyWay trim. (should be available as a accessory at the local dealer).

Comment

Working...
                      X