Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing back my own compilation album creations/Playback of MPEG 4 audio file issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing back my own compilation album creations/Playback of MPEG 4 audio file issue

Thanks to previous posts here I have decided the best way forward to play back my music files is to copy them onto a flashpen and use that in the car. As some have said it's much tidier as opposed to having to remember to pick the ipod up every time(!) and then hard wiring it via the USB (messy as we all know).

Unfortunately though this has brought its own problems.

Pre-recorded albums by one single artist - no problem. Both album and individual tracks can be located easily on the dash screen using the lever stick and appropriate dash buttons. But the situation is not so straightforward when I try to play my own compilation album which I have created made up of individual tracks from individual artists ie a Now hrdirector 1 compilation album (if you like!). There are 2 issues here.

1. I have found that the only way to view all the individual tracks on my Now hrdirector 1 Compilation Album at one time is to create and name a folder within a folder on my PC and copy the tracks into the second sub folder and then copy onto a flash pen. Then all the indivdual tracks need to be prefixed so they are collated in numerical order ie. Track 1 becomes 1_Track 1, Track 2 becomes 2_Track 2 etc etc ie. exactly the same way that a precorded album is listed when it is viewed on the dash display. If anyone can tell me an easier way please feel free to do so!

2. The second issue relates to the DS3 music system's ability to playback MP3s and MPEG 4 audio files. When I tried playing back my Now hrdirector 1 compilation album I noticed there were several tracks missing. Then I realised that the missing ones (not showing up on the dash screen) were in fact MPEG 4 audio files. It would appear that the DS3 music system can only recognise and playback MP3s, not MPEG 4s. Does anyone know if there's an easy way of converting a MPEG 4 file into a MP3 (doubtful)? If not then I guess the only way forward (if I still want to playback my MPEG 4 audio files) is to buy the equivalent MP3 track?

Try using the "list" button on the radio to view files on the flash pen, works for me as i have a mixed tracks and albums on mine. I use only one level though for the files structure.

Another way to maybe help when you make an album mix is to use mp3tag. Copy the files you want into a single folder, then use mp3tag to label these tracks as your Now hrdirector 1 album. You will be able to quickly number the tracks as well.

Also best program to use is sharpod if you use an ipod and copy what you want as it converts straight to MP3. Otherwise use this http://www.maniactools.com/soft/m4a-to-mp3-converter/ Used it for ages and it's easy peesy use!! Hope that helps
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
      Try using the "list" button on the radio to view files on the flash pen, works for me as i have a mixed tracks and albums on mine. I use only one level though for the files structure.

Another way to maybe help when you make an album mix is to use mp3tag. Copy the files you want into a single folder, then use mp3tag to label these tracks as your Now hrdirector 1 album. You will be able to quickly number the tracks as well.

Also best program to use is sharpod if you use an ipod and copy what you want as it converts straight to MP3. Otherwise use this http://www.maniactools.com/soft/m4a-to-mp3-converter/ Used it for ages and it's easy peesy use!! Hope that helps
      Thanks Bigfeet76, much appreciated. I'll give it a go. So will sharpod actually convert Mpeg 4s to MP3s?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post

Hey Bigfeet76 - Tried the MP4 to MP3 converter and it worked like a dream so a big thank you for that.

Haven't tried Sharepod yet but have downloaded it in readiness. Can't quite work out how that does like wise yet so if you have any tips please let me know.

Again many thanks. I had nightmares thinking I'd have to download all the MP4 tracks again but thanks to you, not. You're a Top Man!

Comment

Sharepod basicaly lets you rip music from any ipod! It will convert MP4 or ACC to MP3 while it does it, i use at home to share music between me and the wife's ipod because Apples stupid policy.

Plug in your ipod, run sharepod and it should auto detect yu ipod. Select the tunes you want and where to put the files. Sharepod uses MP3 by default so all you need to do is hit copy to pc and your done! You can select files or playlists whatever you prefer.

It's a good program to use if you just want what's on your ipod. Glad to have be of help!
          Last edited by Bigfeet; 07-09-2010, 09:02.
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
          X