Auxilliary Socket & iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxilliary Socket & iPod

When I test drove a DS3 at my local dealership (I didn't buy the car from them) I was told by the salesman concerned that an iPod could be played through the 'AUX' socket.

I was a bit dubious about this at the time but was he in fact correct? And, if so, what do I need to be able to do it?

Cheers
    1.6 Vti White edition

You just need an ipod usb cable - the white cable you use for charging the ipod should work (the usb connector unplugs from the mains plug).

It also charges the ipod while in the car, which is nice, and works (up to a point) through the steering wheel remote controls.

There are some posts on here about the trials and tribulations of accessing playlists etc. I've only tried with an iphone, which insists on playing tracks alphabetically, but others seem to have connected their ipods OK.

Sound quality via usb is great - better than bluetooth, which suffers from interference.

Comment

Sorry To Sound Like A Twat But Mr-T You Need To Disregard Everything gar074 Just Said ^^^

What You Need Is One Of These:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/0-5M-3-5MM-JAC...item4aa4261819

Basically One End Goes Into The Headphone Jack And The Other Goes Into the AUX Socket...

The Disadvantages Of This Way Of Playing The Music Is That It Doesn't Charge Your iPod And You Cannot Use The Steering Wheel Controls To Change Track Etc...

If You Had The Connecting Box + HiFi Setup Then You Would Be Able To Plug It In Via USB As gar074 Said Above...

If You Dont Have The USB Plug And Just have The AUX Socket Then I Recommend You Getting One Of The Cables As The Music / Sound Is Crystal Clear And Alot Better Than CD...

The Cable In My Link Was Just The 1st One I Saw To Show You - They're All Over eBay - They Are Known As A 3.5mm - 3.5mm Cable Or More Commonly An AUX - AUX Cable...

Hope This Helps !

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought you had the usb connection.

As Zack says, just ignore everything I said (usually the wisest course anyway!). 3.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm jack is what you need.

Comment

Just Copy And Save Your Post For When Someone Has Trouble With Their USB lol

Comment

Cheers you two.

And Gareth, don't feel bad. There's no such thing as bad information. Just the wrong information for the situation! I'm sure it'll come in useful one day!
            1.6 Vti White edition

Comment

I've got this one, works great when i had my 99G and it looks and sounds the business.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...B62SZVJZVYFBEC
              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
              Bigfeet's File Repository
              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                I've got this one, works great when i had my 99G and it looks and sounds the business.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...B62SZVJZVYFBEC
                Looks really neat - like the retractable cable - v handy for avoiding cable spaghetti.

Some of the reviews on Amazon suggests that it won't work with the 2nd Gen iPod Touch or the iPhone 3G.

Comment

It worked with my Ipod touch which was 2nd gen. If you go for it and it doesn't work with yours then pop it back to amazon.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

So a couple of weeks ago I received my 3.5mm jack to jack and since then have tried a few times to get my iPhone and iPod to work through the 'AUX' socket with no success.

I can hear whatever is playing but it's really distorted, with both devices. It sounds like whoever is singing is at the back of a cave whilst certain parts of the band are close and others far away.

Is this a settings problem? Any ideas?
                    1.6 Vti White edition

Comment

Have a look at your equalizer settings on your iPod. I know from experience using this with my nano the volume you have set on there will directly affect the sound you hear through your speakers.
                      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

+ Have A Look At The Sound Settings On Your DS3 In Your Menu...

Comment

anyway it will sound very poor comparing even with radio. Use your ipod usb cable - and it will sound almonst flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by mafioZi View Post
                            Use your ipod usb cable - and it will sound almonst flawless.
                            DeJa Vu ? :L

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                              Have a look at your equalizer settings on your iPod. I know from experience using this with my nano the volume you have set on there will directly affect the sound you hear through your speakers.
                              Disco!

EQ was 'off' so put it to one of the settings and tried it briefly and it's much better.

Will have a play with the other settings when I get more time.

Cheers DF!
                              1.6 Vti White edition

Comment

Working...
                              X