Head unit in CD player gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head unit in CD player gap

Hi, I'd imagine this has been mentioned a few times on here now so sorry if it's being repeated.

My Girlfriend bought 16 plate DS3 last year and I noticed there's a weird gap where the CD player was in the older model. Does anyone know if it's possible to install an OEM CD player from the older car or an aftermarket head unit in the gap?

Alternatively has anyone found a solution to block it up? It just looks like the dash is unfinished in my opinion.

Cheers!

Oh you mean the biro storage shelf? So weird. Seems smaller than the Head Unit in there before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ds3-sbehwheel.jpg?itok=44y37EhL.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	390333

And this is what your GF has now?

Name:	citroen-ds3-3.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	390334

I'm not sure what is behind the centre console in terms of plug and play options, the facia would be easy to replace with like for like that I linked to - it clips off. So the next question is if you got an OEM HU would it plug into where it sits on previous models.

My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Yeah, biro storage shelf seems a better name for it than any, or maybe a cadburys fudge, id imagine that would fit quite nicely. But yes that's what she has now.

I guess it depends how much they actually changed with the new car to whether it would plug in or not, now I see the comparison pics the old HU does look a tad wider

Comment

Would probably require an old style centre console trim too, but not sure if they reused the old wiring or put a new loom in for the newer head units.
        ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
        Join the Facebook Group!
        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

So are people just leaving a hole in their dash then? Find it hard to believe they didn't realise how daft it looks when they made the car.

I thought that maybe it was something the higher spec models had and ours was just missing that feature

Comment

The other thing to consider if you added a HU is whether this would also plug and play into the steering wheel controls or if you would need to add a connects2 as if you were adding a whole new one. Would be interesting to see what they've hidden behind there now there's no HU in there........ It's a big gap to fill!

Another option is fit a double din - totally different centre console trim again - but might be a bit OTT with two large screens.

I think it might be easier to find items that fit in there perfectly and make this is the long term goal. If you have an armrest, lift that up and you will find that the little deep square shelf is the perfect place to store 1 egg #ds3facts

My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Originally posted by odd3sy View Post
              So are people just leaving a hole in their dash then? Find it hard to believe they didn't realise how daft it looks when they made the car.

I thought that maybe it was something the higher spec models had and ours was just missing that feature
              It was the first thing that Adam and I pointed out when he bought his 165 round to show me - we both couldn't figure it out.
              My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

I've got a Clio 172 and I you can get adaptors for that to link an aftermarket HU to the steering wheel controls. Some HUs come with them, but thats a much older car. I'd imagine it'll be a lot more complicated with the touch screen system if at all possible

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
                  If you have an armrest, lift that up and you will find that the little deep square shelf is the perfect place to store 1 egg #ds3facts
                  This is exactly what I needed all my life. How you came to know this I'd love to hear!

///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                  Join the Facebook Group!
                  Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I'm getting a new 165 in a few weeks and since test drive I've been wondering the same with the "biro storage shelf". It seems like just 1 DIN gap but no CD player in it but just a gap and an afterthought shelf. It may look better if it just had a flat cover plate.

Not that I'd need a CD player but it would be nice to have something there - like a date display

Comment

The gap is smaller than a 1 din radio and does not correspond to the unit location !

Behind it you will find the smeg unit. You can swap the panel from new to old and install a 1 din hu if you want to. I did the reverse. Installed a smeg...

Comment

There is no room to install an additional unit, the NOMAD unit which powers and runs the touch screen sits right behind that gap.  Essentially when the new screens went in all the bit and bobs were moved down to allow room.

Besides you don't need a CD player as you have the USB, best multichanger in the business!
                        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                        Bigfeet's File Repository
                        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                          This is exactly what I needed all my life. How you came to know this I'd love to hear!
                          This is DS3Club! We know eevvvverything!!

Name:	tanu8u2e.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	390422

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/forum/ds3/d...rm-rest-is-for
                          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

For my 2011 DS3 with the CD player and mono orange screen, I got a few bits and bobs and stuck a 2-Din KENWOOD unit in and it looks great.
                            The company who installed it irreversibly cannibalised the dashboard and had to install a steering control retention kit etc. - but the results are fab.
                            So additions are possible, but due to the design - smashing and cutting bits out may be unavoidable.
                            DS3 DSport 1.6 HDi - Sport Red With Perla Nera Black Roof and Mirrors

Comment

Working...
                            X