Speakers wired backwards from the factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers wired backwards from the factory

Hi, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I've read through a few of the threads but don't seem to be able to find an answer to this specific problem. Apologies if this is a repeat post.

Basically I just found out today by running a few 'speaker test' tracks via my iPhone into the CarPlay system that the left channel is coming out of the right speaker and vice versa. Since I can't see how the iPhone and its connection could be backwards (tested with a set of headphones) I'm guessing that the speaker connectors are wired incorrectly in the car. Unfortunately I can't test with a CD since there's no CD player.

My question is; how hard would it be for someone with not much technical knowhow to get into the wiring and move some connections. I know a bit about home hi-fi but not really a car audio expert and I'm certainly not a mechanic. Generally past experience has taught me that whenever I try to fix something on my car I end up making it worse. So am I looking at a quick relatively simple fix or is a day trip to dealers in order?

Welcome to the club

I'd say if it bothers you that much and you're still in warranty, get the dealer to sort it. No point messing with the electrics if you don't have to.

Saying that, will you really ever notice? Personally, most stuff I listen to doesn't really utilise the two channels to any extent so it's unlikely I'd even know if they were the wrong way round.

How did you discover that it wasn't right?
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

At minimum you're going to need to remove both door cards and the majority of the dash to split and re-run your wires to the correct sides.

Citroen may be able to change the channels but you would need to query that with a dealership unfortunately.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
        Welcome to the club

I'd say if it bothers you that much and you're still in warranty, get the dealer to sort it. No point messing with the electrics if you don't have to.

Saying that, will you really ever notice? Personally, most stuff I listen to doesn't really utilise the two channels to any extent so it's unlikely I'd even know if they were the wrong way round.

How did you discover that it wasn't right?
        It's funny, but for 18 months I had no idea and it didn't bother me at all! Now I know about it it's going to bug the hell out of me because I know that all the audio I'm listening to in the car is 'out of phase'. Yes, most people wouldn't be able to tell, but if someone plays you speakers that are out of phase and then in phase, you would notice a huge difference. It would be like having the image on your TV mirrored, not a problem for most people, until someone pointed it out.

How I found out is I ripped some mp3 files from a hi-fi test CD and put them on my phone. The left-right channel check puts sound through one speaker at a time so you can hear which side it's coming out.

Dangerousfish I have no idea how it's actually wired but usually with speakers all you need to do is change the wires at one end. At home I'd just pull the wires out of the stereo and switch them, but looking at the guides on this forum it seems that everything is integrated into a plug style socket, so yeah maybe the wires will need to be completely redone through to the doors.

Conclusion: I'll give the dealership a ring on Monday and look forward to spending 30 minutes explaining what 'in-phase' audio means!

Cheers guys!

Comment

Working...
        X