New owner battling with the information about Apple CarPlay in a DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner battling with the information about Apple CarPlay in a DS3

I'm picking up an October 2015 DS DS3 tomorrow with a dashboard display that looks like a SMEG+iv2 unit, based on looking at images on the GPSforum. It has Dab, doesn't have Nav and doesn't offer CarPlay or MirrorLink as options. So my question is what exactly do I need to do to get CarPlay on it?

As of yet I don't know the firmware version, but will tomorrow.

I have read many threads on the GPS forum and from I can understand, a firmware update is required and an enabling of the CarPlay function is needed using a DIGIBOX.

Can anyone confirm what is the minimum or best firmware to enable CarPlay?

And also explain how to get the CarPlay enabled. There appears to be a lot of old information that was updated when DS added CarPly.

I also found this somewhat confusing site to show what features are available for some firmware versions - https://ds.nextgen-technology.net

I also found this list of features referenced to serial number which may be useful:

List of SMEG +iv2 models with dab+ and without dab+

SMEG + IV2 (GPS)
    98 177 046 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 177 047 80, No WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 177 048 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 177 056 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 176 980 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 141 972 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 605DR8)
    98 153 561 80, WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 153 567 80, WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 153 569 80, WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 153 554 80, WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)

SMEG + IV2 (NO GPS)
    98 153 566 80, No WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 153 550 80, WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 153 553 80, WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 61DR8)
    98 177 044 80, No WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 63CR11)
    98 141 971 80, No WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 605ER6)
    98 141 965 80, No WiFi, DAB+ (SW: 60ER6)
    98 141 964 80, No WiFi, No DAB+ (SW: 60DR8)

Car is very impressive and IMHO the Bluetooth streaming for Spotify on an iPhone is actually better than CarPly. However, I would still prefer to use CarPlay for navigation.

My SW version is 6.1.D.R20

Comment

Anyone know what a main dealer would charge for enabling CarPlay in a compatible head unit?

I assume my unit is compatible because as the SW version is 6.1.D.R20, then it must be a SMEG+iv2 until and it has DAB but no WiFi or NAV.

Comment

I don't have that unit nor display in mine, so can't help you any further unfortunately. Only way to find out is to give the dealership a call and find out if its possible and how much. Couldn't even give you a ballpark figure I'm afraid either.

I've had trawl through the forum and there are plenty of threads about it, but none say anything about cost.
        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks. I used to have a Mini and BMW before that and had the Software tools to do this sort of stuff and there were a few very useful sites with plenty of information. What I remember was that the dealer would charge a great deal of money and often did not understand the issues. I'm hoping to find this information for the DS3 somewhere. the GPSforum has useful information but over time tings have changed and the information is difficult to follow. E.g. Citroen stated that they would not support CarPlay on try device but others have enabled it and working. Others say that a 're-calibration" is needed after a firmware update from 6.1 to 6.3, but then the dealer has no idea about the re-calibration. All too confusing to proceed at this stage.

I suspect that there is no calibration required after a firmware update but the dealer does need to enter a modified VIN into the car to allow the CarPlay to work, and they need a Diagbox and some sort of paid "token" to access the Citroen web portal.

Comment

Based on clear information on the 208 forums and matching up dates of posts on the GPS forums, it looks like Smeg+iv2 v6.1.D.R20 does support CarPlay and does not need a firmware update for CarPlay to work. According to posts on the 208 forum in late 2015 and early 2016, 208 owners with the exact same Smeg head unit and firmware as mine, have successfully taken their cars to Peugeot dealers to have CarPlay enabled and CarPlay worked as it should. This service has ranged from a free update service to being charged £120 to enable it. I should also say that plenty of reports from Peugeot dealers either refusing to do it or claiming it is impossible.

Comment

Hi all
              Soon to be purchasing a DS3, maybe a 2016.
              Is there not a list of DS dealers that are prepared to do the update to enable carplay?
              It might be useful if I end up with a DS3 without CarPlay enabled.

Comment

I never found such a list, but a list like that, would be very useful. I'm still searching for accurate information but I am struggling to find anything new to add to the puzzle.

Comment

I finally got this sorted today at my main dealer - Evan Halshaw. They quoted 1 hours labour to do it but when I went to pick it it was not done because the 1 guy who could do it, was apparently away on a course. I complained and one of the service front desk guys, said that he could do it and it would only take 20 minutes. Sure enough he did it in about 20 minutes, so they charged me accordingly. It is working really well.

Comment

Happy Days spidercrab2. Glad it's sorted and thanks for sharing.
                    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

A BS club is formulated for the signatures and all methods for the citizens. The route of the bestessay.com review is inflicted on the names. The title is worked out for the club for the happiness of the kids and partly processed and elements for the tips in the mid of the issues for humans.

Comment

Working...
                      X