tomtom or garmin...but which type ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomtom or garmin...but which type ???

I'm gonna get tomtom of garmin, 100-250 (ones with traffic)
    BUT, there's several types of traffic ??:-
    Tomtom with sim card in like 1005/6000
    Tomtom with phone connection 400/500/600 (3g?)
    Tomtom with rds power cable (fm signal ?)
    Garmin with rds power cable
    Garmin with digital power cable (digital fm ?)
    Garmin with phone connection
    ???????????????
    Any GOOD reports / BAD reports of these types ?

I'm buying it mainly for traffic info so quite important.

FatS.
    :cool: YELLOWS :cool:

I have a "TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with World Maps (66 Countries)" and can't fault it really. Does what it says on the tin. Traffic works great and even covers France (used it for Normandy trip with the club).

Only thing I had to buy is a memory card to allow the download of the updated maps (due to them being slightly bigger than the available free space).

They're also doing a free lifetime maps promotion atm.

It's not the newest model now though, they've just released the new generation.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

So it's got the SIM card, and the traffic worked in FRANCE too ?
      mmmmm that IS one of the ones I'm looking at !

Comment

Get TomTom not Garmin

After using TomTom equipment for years I decided to give Garmin a try after hearing some positive reviews. Big mistake - slow boot up, slow menus, poor software, crap routing decisions at times etc etc. I'm going back to TomTom next time that's for sure - unless I decide to try using my phone instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Markm49uk View Post
          After using TomTom equipment for years I decided to give Garmin a try after hearing some positive reviews. Big mistake - slow boot up, slow menus, poor software, crap routing decisions at times etc etc. I'm going back to TomTom next time that's for sure - unless I decide to try using my phone instead.
          i found the opposite went from a tom tom to a garmin and find it much faster and better in almost every way. all sat navs seem to pock routes no local would use but the worst i tried was google maps on my android that was terrible and nokia maps dosent seem to let you say that a road ahead is closed

Comment

Fight fight fight !!
            But seriously, I can see good and bad points
            for Garmin and Tomtom, but it's the various
            traffic connection types that I'm worried about.
            FM ...longevity
            DIGITAL ...coverage
            SIM ...coverage and VODAFONE contract with Tomtom
            MOBILE CONNECTION. ..blutooth (I want blutooth on car
            at same time ?)
            Last edited by FatS; 14-08-2013, 06:32.

Comment

i've used both in the past and prefered Garmin SatNavs to be honest. btw anyone needs maps for any please use the following link:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/
              Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Had a Tom Tom since they first started- but the Europe card doesn't do the Canary Islands which I thought a bit naff
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

I have the model like Beefy's although I didn't buy the European maps, I have been really impressed with the TomTom GoLive 1000, traffic on it is brilliant and saves long delays.... Map updates are quite expensive so if you can get free lifetime updates I'd get those in a shot.

Most telling was when my almost 2 year old model developed a fault, after trying various steps with TomTom support they arranged a replacement with no charge (I know I'm buying maps/traffic each year ) and I was impressed with that
                  sigpic

Comment

To be honest with both have their good points and both have their bad points. For me the map on the TomTom is a bit too messy compared to the Garmin but the TomTom does offer more in the way of custom icons and voices.

As for route planning I find the Garmin offers better route choices compared to the TomTom, I like the fact I can tell it whether I am a truck or a bike! But the TomTom does calculate faster.

But to be honest it's apples and oranges or xBox and PS3!

Try them both out and see which one works best for you.
                    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                    Bigfeet's File Repository
                    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I dont use a standalone satnav i use navigon on my android phone and its brilliant and if im not mistaken thats powered by garmin . I used tomtom before but wouldnt go back after trying this best of all it was free

Comment

Working...
                      X