This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting subwoofer & amplifier guide

I've written a tutorial on "how to fit a subwoofer"....Been after a post from Remus for a while now but he's been a little busy.

After discussing route for 12 volt power supply for the amplifier from engine bay i've now successfully fitted my subwoofer

Big thanks to Dangerousfish for the information knowing how to find the route & Remus for "how to fit Aftermarket head unit"

Appologies for no images but feel free to pm if help needed...I will do my best to answer your questions.

IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS IT WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK...I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE !!!!::eek:

Power Cable
    Remove 3 clips from light footwell trim drivers side to remove it...Pull out rubber grommet drivers side which holds washer wipe piping (top right hand corner).
    Split the washer wipe piping at the connection link to remove rubber grommet.
    Feed cable from inside car threw bulk head (I Used lighting cable to assist, taping the 12 volt power supply to it)...Run this under the grill which houses wiper blades to the battery.

CONNECT INLINE FUSE TO BATTERY TERMINAL LEAVING FUSE OUT FOR NOW !!!!!

Punch outer hole threw grommet & feed power supply cable threw grommet
    (I used 8 AWG cable 8.3mm diameter was tight getting it threw grommet but possible using washing up liquid).
    Also feed washer wipe piping back threw centre of grommet (hardest part i found had to recut piping to get it threw grommet) rejoin washer pipeing & refit grommet in it's designated place.
    Tuck powersupply under door sill trims (no need to remove any plastic) then under back seat into boot.

Refit light footwell trim.

REMOVE EXISTING HEADUNIT

RCA Leads & Remote Cable
    Remove 3 clips from light footwell trim passenger side to remove it.....
    Feed RCA leads & Remote wire for sub (Shine a torch to find easiest access i found best route was threw hole with existing cables level with glove box.)
    Tape remote wire & RCA leads using lighting cable to assist & push threw into head unit bay passenger side.
    Tuck RCA leads & Remote wire under door sill trims (no need to remove any plastic) then under back seat into boot.

Refit light footwell trim.

Earth/Ground Cable
    Connect Earth/Ground Cable onto seatbelt fixing (The one with torx stud) you may have to fit a 10mm eye connecter)

Connect all wires to your amplifier (I used a fast plug for easy removal of my Subwoofer & Amplifier).

CONNECT INLINE FUSE

AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT
    Fit headunit mounting sleeve (bend tabs in to fix it)

Fit your new headunit with correct wiring harnesses for adaption of your head unit & connect all wires (Bit of a squeeze but can be done)....See" How to fit Aftermarket head unit tutorial" by Remus.http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...ead-Unit-Guide

Hope this guide helps Clarky.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Clarky; 01-01-2012, 17:19. Reason: Picture's of my sound system

Top marks Clarky!
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Good guide Clarky, any pics available?

Comment

Originally posted by SiM22 View Post
        Good guide Clarky, any pics available?
        You shouldn't need pics Sim you got me to ask lol.

Comment

haha but you will charge me X money for each question :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
            Split the washer wipe piping at the connection link to remove rubber grommet.

Have a towel under when you do this.. as if drains most of your windscreen water.
            sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
            Third time around.
            Work in Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Rickzayne View Post
              Have a towel under when you do this.. as if drains most of your windscreen water.
              Dont if you plug it with your finger Rick lol....Cant recall my windsreen water draining to be honest....Good point though.

Did the guide help Rick ??.

Comment

Exactly what i was looking for thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by xtimox View Post
                  Exactly what i was looking for thanks!
                  Your welcome glad to help

Comment

Hello guys. Been gone for a long time. Went back to cyprus again for 6 months. Back again lol. Anyways came across this thread. Just wanted to say that there is another way to get the power lead from the battery to the rear of the car without drilling any holes in the chassis. Removed my sub and headunit from my car before leaving but going to put it all back in pretty soon, so i will take pictures of the process and post the new guide here for future reference.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Remus View Post
                      Hello guys. Been gone for a long time. Went back to cyprus again for 6 months. Back again lol. Anyways came across this thread. Just wanted to say that there is another way to get the power lead from the battery to the rear of the car without drilling any holes in the chassis. Removed my sub and headunit from my car before leaving but going to put it all back in pretty soon, so i will take pictures of the process and post the new guide here for future reference.

Thanks.
                      Hello Remus,
                      Can you give me any tip on how to get the power lead from the battery? Mine is a left hand drive and I cannot find a way of doing it. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Yes I'm in the same case as zoio... with the Clarky's indications I try this afternoon to find the route but I don't succeed to split the washer wipe piping...I try to lift the grill, trying to see the famous rubber grommet but unsucessfully. the only that I see it's one above the mudguard. So I wonder if someone succeed in this task, could take some pictures of this rubber grommet or a kind of tutorial, I will be eternally grateful to him

Comment

From my right hand drive car, it is easy to find all you do is take off the crappy cover under the steering column and shine a torch up, you should see a clear tube to the top right(to the outside of the car) which should have a coupling on it to split it. the grommet is a bit stiff to come out but it will do.

As for left hand car I don't know if it is build the same eg. the opposite side or if its in the passenger side instead
                          sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
                          Third time around.
                          Work in Progress

Comment

Thank you for takin time to reply Rickzayne, as we've got the glove box at the place of the steerin column, I already pass my hand behind it but I don't find any way, I will try to shine with a torch maybe I will see the light from the engine
                            thanks again

Comment

I did not find a way. I ended up drilling a hole. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X