Ultimate PCV thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate PCV thread.

So, I recently had a walnut blast carried out and part of some preventative maintenance, im going to install an oil catch can.

Problem is though, do I mount it to the front pcv nearest the turbo or the rear one??

Also, I snapped the rear pcv hose as it was brittle and sucks quite a lot, now its not connected. if I continue to run the car without this attached am I going to break something?

Before anyone screams at me, i've trawled the forums and every single feed goes off topic chatting shite about dealerships or stupid stuff.

Basically, what i would love, is someone to talk through the rear pcv, how to 'delete' it, what to do with remaining hoses as they truly disappear under the intake manifold and anything else that would help.

Thank you for reading.
    Phyliss

Spreader of rumors, taker of lives, leader of men

1st fix that rear pvc hose! you have a major boost leak when the turbo is making pressure.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Just make this a catch can installation tutorial too, as there is none on here yet. (and I want to install one this year.. )

Comment

Ideally you would have 2 catch cans 1 for each hose. Most people install just the one for the side (the one before the turbo) PVC line. Blocking the rear PVC is kind of a bad idea as it causes increased crankcase pressure and you may(most likely) will start to blow oil past the seals in the turbo and have smokey exhaust from burning oil.

The other end of that rear PVC line is connected to the bottom of the intake manifold with the same type of connector as the valve cover end. It is a bitch to get off. If you decide to put a can on the back you will need to make sure the can, lines, and connections are all sealed and can withstand the boost pressure that the turbo makes as all of this is under the same pressure as the intake manifold as the shutoff valve that keeps the crankcase from being pressurized is in the valve cover.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
          Ideally you would have 2 catch cans 1 for each hose. Most people install just the one for the side (the one before the turbo) PVC line. Blocking the rear PVC is kind of a bad idea as it causes increased crankcase pressure and you may(most likely) will start to blow oil past the seals in the turbo and have smokey exhaust from burning oil.

The other end of that rear PVC line is connected to the bottom of the intake manifold with the same type of connector as the valve cover end. It is a bitch to get off. If you decide to put a can on the back you will need to make sure the can, lines, and connections are all sealed and can withstand the boost pressure that the turbo makes as all of this is under the same pressure as the intake manifold as the shutoff valve that keeps the crankcase from being pressurized is in the valve cover.
          What he said [emoji1303]
          White on red THP
          Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

If I was to get just one catch can which one is the most important, the front or the rear PCV, in getting rid of carbon buildup in the intake?
            Last edited by notrix; 23-06-2016, 12:41.
            2012 DS3 Racing black & orange

Comment

Originally posted by notrix View Post
              If I was to get just one catch can which one is the most important, the front or the rear PCV, in getting rid of carbon buildup in the intake?
              Rear.
              White on red THP
              Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Won't stop it all but every little helps I guess depending on quality of the can.

Has anyone made the forge one into a rear pcv set up??

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a nice Saikou michi front catch can pn, caught loads crap, lots condensation

Car still went into Citroen under warranty for an inlet valve clean at 19k miles

Would still put them on tho, but rear pcv pipie needs to be reinforced as its about -1bar pressure i think (vacuum)
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

I also recommend mounting the catch can lower than the PCV connections. But this can make the installation a little more complex.
                    White on red THP

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                      I also recommend mounting the catch can lower than the PCV connections. But this can make the installation a little more complex.
                      Certainly with the forge can lol but hoses for it wouldn't be a problem

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

This week my car will get a walnut blast. So to slow down the process of carbonized valves I would like to add a catchcan.
                        Where can I add it best?

On my old Peugeot 207 1.6 THP 150PK I had installed a Saikou Mitchi on the rear PCV
                        but somehow the can always stayed empty xD.

Comment

As above - rear

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....l=1#post223957

If your question is more to do with where to seat the catch can sorry I can't help, my diesel eHDi never needed one
                          sigpic

Comment

as James will underline, the rear pcv needs pipe that will bear up to -1.0psi i think (vacuum) and you could fit it around the dipstick area with a bespoke bracket from what i recall.
                            Just about enough room. I didnt fit in the end as was goona go WMI
                            Front PCV, which does collect some oily gunk as seen by my video on here, can be located RHS of engine bay on some spare bolts front of wing area behind radiator, again, with a bespoke bracket
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

What kind of can do you use or suggest for the rear PCV?
                              I thought I bought a nice one from 42drafts the STEALTH OIL CATCH
                              but it seems kinda Big and I can't really find a good place to fit it.

Comment

Working...
                              X