Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Fit DRL LED in the rear light

Hi

Yet another guide from our French friends over at ds3-spirit.com.
    The DS3 first came in the concept version with LED’s in the rear light, there where sooner removed on the production car, but here is a guide how to install them back in again.

Here is the tutorial
    First, we need the ignition key is off and the key removed from contact

For 12v I chose to run it from the cigarette lighter

1) dislocation of the cigarette lighter of its location, use a small screwdriver at the small notch (see red arrow in photo) and the lift to uncouple

Here is the result

2) Now run a wire through the center console, for that I use a harder line to serve as a guide to pass the queue without removing the entire center console

Red arrows indicate the points of entry and exit
    Here is the result

To connect the cable with cigarette lighter I use the methods for connecting the daytime running lights, ie the cable clips

3) it must then pass under the seats, this is straightforward
    Between the seats and center console, there is a space under the slide of seats that allows the cable
    Then run the cable under the carpet, you'll see that for cella under the seat the carpet is in two parts which can easily pass the cable
    Finally the cable was back on the track, there's also a small space underneath
    At that moment he just have to run wire through the door sill and trim

4) Remove the door sill, it is just the die-clip, there are four clips (indicate in red on the photo)

5) De-clip the door trim to allow you to pass the cable into the trunk
    You are not obliged to remove it completely (you can just snap the die-in part and then use the same methods I use at the center console, ie the file harder to serve guide
    We must first de-clipped at a red arrow, and then at the red arrow 2, then lower the seat by pressing the button under the red arrow 3, and finally de-clipped at red arrow 4

6) Remove the carpet in the trunk passenger site
    We begin to remove the gate G and the small pin P by gently pulling it to the gate and the pin-clip above all the middle and pull gently. Finally remove the two screws slightly hidden in holes just above

7) Run the cable below the door, then behind the trim and finally behind the carpet
    you get this result

8) once the cable you have some opportunities to pass
    either come solder new cable for each light
    be put in pair (see photo above)

9) Pass then a second cable that goes from the first traffic lights to the second
    To do this loosen the two screws that hold the trunk liner and come spend the queue behind

10) pass the cable through the hole in the body for passage of light bulbs

11) Now we will have to prepare rear LEDs (LED connected in parallel)
    Bring it to your working table.

We need a soldering iron, tin, LEDs (preferably pre-wired LEDs that are easier to use), and a cable

a screwdriver and a drill adjust the size of the LEDs

12) Then drill the holes for positioning LEDs
    For my part I is not disassemble the window, I came from behind drill
    I'll put my methods, some are expected to try to remove the glass so sure it happens correctly, for guide how to do the see this site:
    http://www.ds3spirit.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2352
    Behind the lights can be seen as a small groove, I rely on it to position my holes
    I advise everybody to come and place a template on the first lights and reused on the second
    I myself use a sheet of paper that I came on the drill when I made my holes and I reposition the second
    Be careful while drilling the fire from behind, do want to go too fast and not to go too hard or you risk the worst of the glass and through the lesser evil to leave a trace on the glass
    You really have to go slowly and gently
    Here is the result

Once holes are drilled, you have now to implement the LEDs connect them to cable and reseal with glue a windshield to avoid this end up with condensation in the lights
    Photo of LED on.

Now you need to do is get the lights in places and connect the cables you go inside the car, why use one of three methods explained in the Phase 8

And voila you have finished
    Some pictures of the result

Thanks to DS3sport at http://www.ds3spirit.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2344

Comment

Thast looks amazing, i wish i had the guts to do that. Thanks Eiken for posting the guide up

Comment

Awesome!!
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

It should actualy be possible to get the power from the Subwoofer in the trunk instead, i wil try to check the possibility when i get home, it should be PIN 16 that has the +12v supply .

Comment

This looks sweet!

If you hook it up to the subwoofer, will that also make the leds dim to the beat of the music/subwoofer?

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
              This looks sweet!

If you hook it up to the subwoofer, will that also make the leds dim to the beat of the music/subwoofer?
              Haha, maybe af good idea for the brake light

Comment

As you see on this picture it should be able to get the 12v from the sub/amp plug:
                "b" Black 16-pin plug

Number of Poles use of pins for connector
                1 Input: - right backdoor speaker
                2 Input: + right backdoor speaker
                3 Input: - right front tweeter / - Woofer Speaker front (Right Door)
                4 Input: + right front tweeter / woofer + front speaker (Right door)
                5 Not Used
                6 + output: Midrange front in the middle
                7 + CAN
                8 Frames
                9 Input: - left rear door speaker
                10 Input: + backdoor left speaker
                11 Input: - Speaker front left tweeter / - Woofer Speaker front (left door)
                12 Input: + Speaker front left tweeter / woofer speakers + front (left door)
                13 Not used
                14 - output: Midrange front in the middle
                15 Not used
                16 + battery

Comment

i use to have 206 that i use to do light mods on ... but i think the only thing ill be doing like this on mine is just to have DRL's on constantly ... maybe when its 5 years old i might do these ...

Comment

Hmm... Got 400 super bright white LED's... Might be doing this.

10 LED's use 15volt's total, so im not going to burn 'em if im not using any resistors (right)?

Comment

LED's are usually connected in a parallel circuit and still need a resistor..............At least that's my understanding of the electronics of a light emitting diode.

I guess you could try connecting 10 in a series circuit and hooking it up to a car battery and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
                        I guess you could try connecting 10 in a series circuit and hooking it up to a car battery and see what happens
                        something like this?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	work.5260406.1.flat,550x550,075,f.car-blown-up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	353467
                        Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Or this

Click image for larger version

Name:	20080925131238!Explosion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	353469
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

or i suppose another alternative is that it might just work!
                            Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

just put it behind a fuse and it should be ok... You can hook up atleast 15 LED's without burning them up, atleast when the voltage is right and constant. Not sure tho, since im only messing with em and haven't studied electronics since school.

Comment

Working...
                              X