Replacing rear light units.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rear light units.

Hi, I am going to be replacing my DS3 rear lights with the new 3D ones soon (well hopefully soon - as I only have one at the moment, but I am working on finding the second one!) Before I do start, can anyone tell me if Citroen use 'non sticky' water seals to seal lights to the body?. The reason I ask is I recall many years ago (and I do mean many! over 20 years ago) I was trying to remove a rear light from an old Citroen and it was sealed to the body with a semi- setting black mastic, which made a super seal but the lights were an absolute pig to unstick. Would be great if someone has already taken a rear light off could tell me if the seal is a bit more civilised than it used to be?? PS - anyone know where I can get a (used) Drivers side rear 3D light??.

Originally posted by Brainscanner01 View Post
    Hi, I am going to be replacing my DS3 rear lights with the new 3D ones soon (well hopefully soon - as I only have one at the moment, but I am working on finding the second one!) Before I do start, can anyone tell me if Citroen use 'non sticky' water seals to seal lights to the body?. The reason I ask is I recall many years ago (and I do mean many! over 20 years ago) I was trying to remove a rear light from an old Citroen and it was sealed to the body with a semi- setting black mastic, which made a super seal but the lights were an absolute pig to unstick. Would be great if someone has already taken a rear light off could tell me if the seal is a bit more civilised than it used to be?? PS - anyone know where I can get a (used) Drivers side rear 3D light??.
    Really easy to do. Remove the cover from inside your boot and reach around until you can find the knob to turn (it's shaped like an old tap).

Once that's been fully unscrewed unclip the cable plugged into the lights and you should simply be able to lift out the rear cluster
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The seal is basically a strip of black foam like material (not sticky). Just make sure it's correctly seated when you screw the light back in (it has a groove to seat in) and you'll be fine.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Perfect! Thanks - Now I know it is a simple task. Very helpful - Cheers!

Comment

I presume the used one you have already has the seal still attached ?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
            I presume the used one you have already has the seal still attached ?
            IIRC the seal is attached to the actual light cluster. I might be mistaken though.

If anybody's weary about doing it come find me at FCS and I'll give you a hand.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

That would make sense, nice offer of help too !
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, seals come on the lamps

Have you seen fish's handy work lol

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                Facebook.com/SPTuning.Ltd
                White on red THP
                Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

No Jamie, are you being mean ? Lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                    Have you seen fish's handy work lol
                    Ask him how's his NOS installation going...

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                      Ask him how's his NOS installation going...
                      Not driving it at all beats having to clean the back of my car every time I go out
                      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Touche !!
                        sigpic

Comment

how do you unclip the cable plugged into the lights? I am just trying to change my rear brake light for the first time. I have unscrewed the nut but then not sure which bit I am doing - it seems really hard to unclip

Comment

Originally posted by kukani View Post
                            how do you unclip the cable plugged into the lights? I am just trying to change my rear brake light for the first time. I have unscrewed the nut but then not sure which bit I am doing - it seems really hard to unclip
                            If I recall correctly, the light unit's cable has a small clip that just needs pushing down. Try getting a torch on it and using a flathead screwdriver to depress the clip. Buy him a drink after to cheer him up again.
                            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

You don't unclip the cable, you unclip the bulb holder unit - the diagram in your Owner's Handbook shows you how.

Comment

Working...
                              X