e-HDI (120bhp) versus THI (150 bhp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-HDI (120bhp) versus THI (150 bhp)

Having finally decided the time is right to replace my car, I have narrowed down my search to the hottest diesel or 150bhp petrol DS3 cabriolet. The diesel burner appears to manage an astonishing MPG whereas the petrol model is quicker (0-60). I am looking for owners views on these two models to help me decide..... Have your say!

Welcome to the club

It entirely depends of your driving style (relaxed / spirited), the type of driving you do (city / motorway / country roads) and how many miles you do in a year. Give us a bit more info and we'll be able to advise.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Petrol may be quicker 0 - 60 but a diesel (especially if re-mapped) will pull 30 - 70 like a train!!!
      Depends which is more important to you.
      Diesels are also more reliable.

JB

Comment

I do like the relaxed style of diesels at low revs with the big kick when you hit the mid-range sweet spot. I guess one aspect of my question was whether the diesel feel slow in comparison to the petrol engine. There is a significant reduction in 0-60 stats for the petrol. My mileage is in the region of 10k per year, with mainly country road and long motorway hauls.
        I am interested in the reliability comment - does that mean the diesel is particularly reliable or the petrol relatively unreliable? Are there any particular technincal 'quirks' between the two models?

Comment

Reliability - diesels seem particularly reliable. Had mine for over 4 years and over 75000 miles without a hitch. Mine is a 90 re-mapped and does not feel slow at all so a more powerful diesel model would be superb!

JB

ps where are you based? We might be able to find you a member for a run.
          Last edited by Jimbob; 05-11-2014, 12:01.

Comment

I owned a THP that underwent a few modifications taking it into the 200BHP range.

I've since driven the DSport Diesel and honestly have no qualms with it.

Obviously, the petrol engine sounds and feels a lot quicker but following the reliability of my THP I would never own one again. Ever.

The Diesel is still very quick off the mark and has no trouble keeping up with THP's from the line in real life scenarios.

I could average ~31-41mpg in the THP with "spirited" driving but the diesel obviously pisses all over this.

Personal preference is going to be your ultimate decider. Why not see if your dealer will let you take both models out for a test drive?
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

If you are after mileage economy Supershred, diesel. No doubt.
              If you are after performance, its THP. No doubt

Reliabilty, diesels appear bullet proof, except for the DPF which does seem to cause problems, even on a town/ motorway mix. But if you do more than 50% motorway, should be fine. New DPF £1000 +
              Reliabilty with current THPs a bit more delicate, the main issue (Thoroughly covered on here) is Carbonised inlet valves. (There have been issues with earlier models such as timing chain issues, not so much recently) Within warranty its not a problem, outside warranty guessing treatment costs £250 every 20,000 miles, for walnut blasting.

Have driven both unmodified, and modified (Remapped) the THP for driving experience is more exciting, and the diesel doesnt lag far behind, especially the remapped Diesel. One can argue the THP is more fragile an engine to tolerate remaps.

As a petrolhead, I would rather have an unmodified THP, than a modified Diesel. And fuel cost/ economy doesnt worry me. Lifes' too short :-)
              But the diesel is a good unit, for those that costs are to be monitored

Take your choice
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thanks guys for some interesting comments. I am edging towards the diesel - I think. Perhaps the question is now whether to shell out the additional 2k or so for the 120 unit or to remap the smaller diesel (and accept a lower spec) I will review some of the remapping threads on here I think...

Comment

If you want to remap a DS3 speak to forum member Jamie at SP Tuning, he's done loads of the DS3 for owners on here, owns one himself and I wouldn't trust my remap to anyone else !

I'd echo the comments above as well, I love my eHDI 115 DSport+ and know that once the warranty is up Jamie will work his magic on it and make it even more fun to drive
                  sigpic

Comment

Loving my diesel certainly has enough poke. when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Supershred View Post
                      Thanks guys for some interesting comments. I am edging towards the diesel - I think. Perhaps the question is now whether to shell out the additional 2k or so for the 120 unit or to remap the smaller diesel (and accept a lower spec) I will review some of the remapping threads on here I think...
                      Whether you choose Petrol or Diesel I definitely recommend going for the higher spec, regardless of engine, you get a lot more nice toys with the DSports (especially in the DSport Plus).
                      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

I have the DSport diesel and must say it's one hell of a machine. I have a friend in a 59 plate Type R and when we had a bit of a 'drive' I could see his surprised face in his rear view mirror when I was keeping up on the straights and corners. Plus had the tax reminder through today... don't know how i'm going to afford it I really don't
                        DS3 DSport 1.6 Airdream e-Hdi 110 - Pealescent Red: White Roof, Mirrors, Alloys - Light Bulb Modifications so far... Mwah Ha Ha Haa

Comment

OK I'm sold -DSport Diesel it is! Now time to enjoy reviewing the numerous colour comnbinations before I place an order. Will time it to get delivery in the spring; once the heavily salted Aberdeenshire roads are in less corrosive mode. Will give me something to look forward to over the winter! Thanks again for your valued thoughts.
                          Last edited by Supershred; 07-11-2014, 13:21.

Comment

Nice one, stay in touch and we'll need pictures in the spring next year
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X