Helping those less fortunate this winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping those less fortunate this winter

I'm not going to force feed you stats and copy and pasted information from various websites, but if you can - just think of others this winter.

I saw an old boy wandering the car park in Sainsburys yesterday asking for change. He had gone before I could give him a few £'s. Made me quite sad to see him so cold and desperate he had to ask strangers for a few coppers.

Initially we're too quick to judge, 'it's his own fault' 'why should I help' 'he'll just waste the money I give him'

On my shopping list was a bottle of vodka... if I was going to spend my money on alcohol, why should I judge someone else?

There are homeless people everywhere.
    This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
    I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
    And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
    Why am I judging this poor bastard.
    People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
    Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit?
    Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.

At most supermarkets there are food donation points on the way out, you might not miss that 60p on an extra packet of biscuits, but to someone else it could mean great deal.

The Trussell Trust is a 400-strong network of foodbanks provides a minimum of three days’ emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis in the UK

You can find a food bank HERE

If you are in London, then Wrap Up London need the coats in the back of your wardrobe that you don’t fancy wearing, that have gotten a little snug, or simply just your old coats.
    Coat collections begin on 7th, 8th and 9th November at 7am-11am.
    The locations for Wrap up London 2016 are:
    Kings Cross
    Victoria
    Waterloo
    Canary Wharf
    London Bridge
    Highbury & Islington
    Euston
    Liverpool Street
    They are also collecting, just by Liverpool Street station at the Broadgate Centre

If you are outside of London you can still use this service for free via Collect Plus

I won't go on and on, just ask as a human being with a compassion for others (not as a forum owner) to think of less fortunate people this winter
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Well deserved causes,reminds me about homeless people that have to ride on night buses in London just to keep warm and sleep!
    LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Just remember everyone that it's not just organisations in London that do this but most likely in your local community too. There will more likely than not be a band of helpers who go out at night and find people on the streets to feed and clothe.

Have a google, I'm sure you'll find one.

There's one in Manchester for example: http://www.woodstreetmission.org.uk/...g-project.aspx and I know the guys at Polish and Glow in Manchester get involved and spend their nights taking food and warm clothing around to people on the streets.
      @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
        Well deserved causes,reminds me about homeless people that have to ride on night buses in London just to keep warm and sleep!
        Have we not all done this?!

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
        Just remember everyone that it's not just organisations in London that do this but most likely in your local community too. There will more likely than not be a band of helpers who go out at night and find people on the streets to feed and clothe.

Have a google, I'm sure you'll find one.

There's one in Manchester for example: http://www.woodstreetmission.org.uk/...g-project.aspx and I know the guys at Polish and Glow in Manchester get involved and spend their nights taking food and warm clothing around to people on the streets.
        Thanks Mike I might get in touch with them and see if they need a hand this year.
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Working...
        X