No announcement yet.

Feel the rhythm, Feel the Rhyme.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel the rhythm, Feel the Rhyme.......

Get on up, It's Bobsled time!!

The Club has donated to support the Jamaican bobsled team! We just thought it would be cool to be a part of such a feel good cause and community spirit!

Feel good factor of donating to something so iconic

Jamaica's bobsleigh team will end their 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics next month after being awarded a place at the Sochi Games.

Thanks to an outpouring of support for its online crowdfunding campaign, the Jamaican bobsled team is heading to Sochi with over $120,000 — and a dream 12 years in the making.

On Monday, the members of the underdog team from the island nation learned they had qualified for the two-man bobsled competition for their first appearance in the Winter Olympics since 2002. That elation has been followed by overwhelming gratitude from the team toward its fans, after a crowdfunding campaign exceeded their target goal of $100,000 in a matter of days.

“It’s so overwhelming that we have so many fans out there,’’ team member Winston Watts told TODAY.com. “The whole nation has come together and donated the funds to us. This shows us that people still love the Jamaican bobsled team. I just want to give thanks to all of our fans out there.”

Qualifying was the culmination of a four-year push spearheaded by Watts, 47, to put the Jamaican bobsledders back in the Olympics after a 12-year drought. While the Jamaican Bobsleigh Federation is paying for the travel costs for the team to get to Russia, Watts and his teammates appealed to the public for extra funds to help cover their training costs and upgrade their equipment.

Jamaican bobsled team members Wayne Blackwood, Marvin Dixon and coach Wayne Thomas attended the Sundance Film Festival on Monday along with teammate Winston Watts to help spread the word about their fund-raising effort.

The money will be wired directly to the Jamaican Bobsleigh Federation and go toward the cost of shipping their sled to Russia and upgrading the runners, which are the round, beveled blades that help send the bobsled down the icy track. Watts said a good set of runners can cost between $15,000 and $20,000, and the team needs multiple sets for Sochi. "The ones that I used to qualify are almost not legal because they are so old,'' Watts said.

Just over 20 years since the release of the 1993 hit film "Cool Runnings" detailed the journey of the first Jamaican bobsled team to reach the Olympics in 1988, the next generation has struck a chord with fans. Watts and his teammates were a hit when they attended the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, near their home in Evanston, Wyo., on Monday. While getting the word out about their fund-raising effort, Watts said he met actor Kurt Russell and other celebrities. It continued the good vibe that has followed the team at every venue during their qualifying competitions.

So go on, what is your favourite scene from the film good film that has spurred on the support for the team in 2014?
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Sanka... you dead?
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

This is so cool, well done
      DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
      Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Nice one, I probably shouldn't admit this but I've never seen the film !
        sigpic

Comment

Whhhaatttt!!!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 using TapaTalk
          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

I know.......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
              Nice one, I probably shouldn't admit this but I've never seen the film !
              No excuse, buy it here.
              - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Let me kiss your lucky egg!
                2015 DS3 DSport Plus 1.6 165thp - Evil Edition Mk2 - 176bhp

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                  Sanka... you dead?
                  Yeah Man !

Comment

"We must also be concerned about the potential for embarrassment."

"Oh, pardon me. I didn't realize that four black guys in a bobsled could make you blush."
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I loved this film, gonna have to watch it again lol
                      DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                      Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

"I see PRIDE, I see POWER, I see a bad ass mother who don't no crap off nobody!"

...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                        Bigfeet's File Repository
                        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Sanka mon, whatcha smoking?

I'm not smoking, I'm breeeeathing!
                          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Working...
                          X