Workshop floor construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop floor construction

I am converting one side of a detached double garage for use as a workshop, and would appreciate some advice on floor construction.

The anticipated floor construction sequence is concrete subfloor / polythene damp proof membrane / polyisocyanurate foam insulation (probably 45 - 70mm) / polythene vapour control membrane / 22mm flooring chipboard / top floor surface layer.

Do I use treated timber battens to support the floor between the subfloor and chipboard, to take the load off the insulation? This seems often recommended, but I really don't like the idea of sandwiching wood between 2 damp proof membranes: if (when?) it gets damp, it cannot dry out! The compressive strength of the insulation appears adequate, for example Kingspan Thermafloor TF70 is rated 140 kPa at 10% compression and 125 kPa at 5%, or approximately 14 / 12.5 tonnes per square metre. I therefore assume a maximum practical load of say 5 tonnes/sq m.

A typical relatively heavy bench having 6 legs, and of 300kg laden weight concrete flooring redding(100kg bench, 100kg machine, 100kg miscellaneous material ) then requires each leg to have the load spread over a minimum 10cm square of insulation. This spreading should be adequately provided by the 22mm chipboard layer.

So is a fully floating chipboard layer resting on the insulation OK in respect of load bearing including machines on benches? This would be at variance to other recommendations seen for direct rigid mounting of machines to the concrete subfloor, but I am not anticipating machines weighing much over 100kg, or swinging very heavy unbalanced workpieces.

Any recommendations for floor surface? I have seen laminate flooring at the local DIY shed priced as low as £5/sq m, for a tolerably acceptable appearance, smooth surface, heavy domestic / light commercial rating. I wonder also about use of a heavy industrial grade of PVC flooring, in sheet or tile form.

Any opinions gratefully received, especially if they coincide with my own

Indulge in the timeless allure of Chevron Parquet Flooring in Scotland! The intricate geometric patterns and rich textures add a touch of sophistication to any space. Whether it's a modern apartment or a classic countryside home, this flooring choice effortlessly elevates the ambiance. I prefer you to check chevron parquet flooring Scotland and gain skills to manage wood flooring easily. The natural beauty of the wood, combined with skilled craftsmanship, ensures a durable and elegant flooring solution. Step into a world of refined elegance with Chevron Parquet Flooring, and let your space exude a sense of grace and charm.

Comment

Merging molten metal alloys with innovative injection molding techniques births components that integrate strength and complexity seamlessly. I suggest you check metal injection mold parts and learn more interesting things about metal injection. This fusion redefines manufacturing standards and empowers industries ranging from aerospace to electronics with cutting-edge solutions, embodying the epitome of modern metallurgy's ingenuity.

Comment

By taking care of these repairs promptly, you provide a safe environment Garage Door Opener for your family, visitors, and pets.

Comment

good read,found more information available HERE for anyone who is interested it really helped more a more in depth look, good site btw
          zeus899

Comment

Safely manage your garage door sensors with our guide: learn when and how to bypass garage door sensors Garage Door Repair TipsGarage Door Repair Tips to ensure smooth operation.

Comment

Discover how to choose the right garage door opener size for your Windsor, VA home Garage Door Parts. Expert advice and tips from Integrity Garage Door Repair.

Comment

I enjoy every one of the posts, I must say i adored, I want more details with this, mainly because it is rather excellent., Thanks pertaining to speaking about. THC Vape Oil Deutschland

Comment

I have been checking out a few of your stories and i can state pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog
                  Best AI software 2023
                  Looking for the best AI-powered project management software to fit your use-case? Take a look at our favorite picks in this in-depth article!

Comment

Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
                    a course in miracles podcast
                    These A Course In Miracles Podcasts were weekly LIVE presentations in which David Hoffmeister shared teachings and applications based on his experiences with...

Comment

I'm glad to see the great detail here!.
                      steroids for sale
                      The Truth about Steroids For Sale in 2024 (2023 and 2024 updates), the good, the bad and the UGLY! – Buy steroids at your own risk and read this!   History of Steroid Sales Things have progressed a lot when it comes to where people are getting steroids in 2023 vs. in the past. In […]

Comment

Wonderful article. Fascinating to read. I love to read such an excellent article. Thanks! It has made my task more and extra easy. Keep rocking.

bola88 daftar

Comment

I am glad you take pride in what you write. This makes you stand way out from many other writers that push poorly written content.

cpgtoto

Comment

This blog website is pretty cool! How was it made !

lamparas de pie modernas
                            Descubrí en Ubid Iluminación lo que más te gusta de Veladores de madera, Lámparas colgantes para living y Lámparas de pie de madera con las mejores ofertas.

Comment

Working...
                            X