Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip

I'm back home soon and will be driving around a few countries in Europe from the 7th November, I thought id make a post about it. Il add pics and video as the preparation and trip unfolds.
    Cant do too much now as I'm out of the UK until Wednesday but have a mancave full of mods and accessories awaiting my arrival .

Having visited both Dublin and Barcelona so far this tax year, I thought my next stint in the UK should involve a bit more driving than scootering. Being a frequent visitor to France I thought id combine both and add in a wee trip around a few other European countries. Il be spending the first week in France on my own (without my trusted hounds Booth and Bauer, unfortunately) before being joined by the current Mrs SFG. Then its off to Bruges, Luxembourg, Cologne and finally Amsterdam before back to France and home. This isn't the first time ive driven around the continent but the first time since I have had the car significantly modded, it is only the second time ive been joined by a two as opposed to four legged passengers .

The Plan

So my first week will be in a converted barn about 35 miles South of Calais, it is remote, I like remote in France. Although my French isn't as good as my Dari it is good enough to order coffee, buy wine, cheese and bread and make sexy chit chat whilst out running. Once I pick up the current Mrs SFG from the Eurostar terminal and assuming I'm not beating off migrants, we will head straight to Bruges, after an overnight sample of what it has to offer we will move onto Luxembourg, again another overnight then off to Cologne. Two nights in Western Germany and after absorbing the gothic atmosphere we are off to Amsterdam for another two nights before an early morning sprint down the coast to Calais.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Road trip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	367789

Prep
    Our backgrounds dictate who does what during this phase, no pink or blue jobs (is that sexist?), rather she looks after G1 (Administration) and G4 (Logistics) whilst I take care of G2 (Intelligence) and G3 (Operations), She sorts booking the hotels, Ferry, Train etc whilst I plan the routes, prep the car and do some background on the locations we intend to visit. I have all the kit required to drive legally in France already so that will sit within the spacesaver tyre. Also our insurance covers us for breakdown cover etc on the continent.

The Car
    So relatively recently, ive had the car walnut blasted, the HPFP replaced (with the latest variant), a Milltech exhaust and cat installed and a Sachs racing clutch plus a few cosmetic touch ups. New wheels and tyres (225/18") will be on for the trip to cover my drilled and grooved disks plus the most cost effective investment , an SP Tuning remap, oh a new boot liner and mats (which I'm just about to order) plus Osram Ultimates for the main and dipped lights plus brighter side lights.

UPDATE
    1 - So all cross channel transport is now booked and we have managed to find a hotel in Amsterdam that doesn't have a shared bathroom, the cheek of it, I'm an en suite kind of chap. Its about 2 km outside the centre but the tram is close by and direct into town. I love Holland, been many many times and my dad has some very good Dutch friends in the Arnhem area.

2 - Hotel in Amsterdam booked now, been busy since getting back to the UK, offered a job i couldn't take and a house i did. Looking to book an apartment in Cologne today leaving just Luxembourg and Bruggs to sort out. The new wheels are on and il be changing the oil tomorrow morning so looking at putting in a car + Mods update Thursday.

3 - All hotels booked
    Last edited by Superfly Guy; 10-11-2015, 13:18.

Sorted....Good luck with your trip,enjoy putting your DS3 through it`s paces!
    LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like it will be a good trip, looking forward to updates
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
        Sounds like it will be a good trip, looking forward to updates
        Me too, will be a busy couple of days when I get home. Think the wheels are arriving Thu so il get those on over the weekend if the weather is ok for me to touch up the callipers and apply the decals.
        Ive a charity do to go too Friday night and the weekend is filled with dog walking and 2 PCs I need to upgrade.

Comment

Sounds great, can't wait for updates , remember no sexy chit chat when the missus is around

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperkev View Post
            Sounds great, can't wait for updates , remember no sexy chit chat when the missus is around
            More likely to be a fair bit of this.....
            http://vid1357.photobucket.com/album...pspjzquzzc.mp4

Comment

Can't wait to read more about this! Sounds awesome!
              @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Have fun mate, will get those pics up over the next couple of days
                DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                  Have fun mate, will get those pics up over the next couple of days
                  Thanks Gaz.

Comment

Bit of an update, that's all the hotels booked, just as well as I'm off for phase 1 in the morning.
                    Just playing around with my new camcorder and charging up the batteries for my Nikon.
                    As soon as it stops raining il do my best to clean the car, got the inside nice and spankers yesterday but looks like il be snowfoaming in the drizzle today.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2079.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	359941
                      Ok, day 1 of the pre-roadtrip has gone well. No traffic on the motorway allowed me to get to Dover with so much time to spare, I got to sit in my car and watch a family work their way through two packets of cigarettes without leaving the comfort of their Vauxhall Astra. I normally use the tunnel to make this trip so was unpleasantly surprised at just how much P&O try to rip off its passengers, wanting £3 for internet and £8 for two sorry looking sausages and a dollop of crusty mash, jog on Captain, il be using the train again in the future.

Once in France, the hour long journey was as simple as its gets. No traffic or people for that matter, nothing new actually, France is generally shut on the weekends, I assume they all live underground come end of play Friday. As I left Calais behind, the roads became gradually narrower, muddier and more dangerous as I struggled to control my urge to be Loeb. Its not that I didn't trust my fat and sticky (that's what she said) 225 tyres, its just I don't trust French country roads, I think 1000's of Germans were killed during the occupation due to sliding a Panzer into a ditch whilst avoid the sudden appearance of a turnip laden trailer pulled by a 110 year old blind farmer.

So what do I have planned tonight? il drink this bottle of plonk left on the table for me plus the one of Pinot I brought along.

Comment

Nice view this morning

Comment

Glad the sun is out for you mate
                          DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                          Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                            Glad the sun is out for you mate
                            Its a nice day, looks like it will be a decent week.

Comment

An apple a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Working...
                              X