Engine light came on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine light came on

Past couple of days car was taking a few seconds to start. I thought it was due to the cold weather. Coming home from work this morning pulling on to motorway just over 2000 revs, engine light came on and repair needed. Crawled home and cant get a date to get it fixed until next Friday. Going through the forum I just hope it's a fault of some sort and an easy fix.

With the light on it still drove like before which is weird. Was just waiting for a big clunk and smoke to come from car.

Gutted is an understatement at the minute

Reading your previous posts, sounds like you have a DSport Diesel 110?

Sounds like it went into limp mode, DPF issue is the first thing that springs to mind.

What sort of journeys do you do?
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Yeah i have a dsport diesel. What is DPF issue? Driving to work, going out with friends. Nothing to unusual?
      Last edited by Manmadesmiith; 11-01-2016, 21:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Manmadesmiith View Post
        Yeah i have a dsport diesel. What is DPF issue? Driving to work, going out with friends. Nothing to unusual?
        I'm not an expert but from what I understand the DPF filter can get clogged if it doesn't get a chance to regenerate. It usually does a regen when the engine is warm, at a constant speed for 20+ mins. If you're doing lots of short journeys it could cause issues because it doesn't get a chance to regen.

I'd get it to your dealer to confirm though, as I said, not an expert, just what I gathered from reading the forum a lot.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Yeah I do a lot of short journeys. Don't think I'll drive my car until it's due to be seen. Dunno if I will do any more damage if I do drive it.

Comment

Mmm as Beefy said doesn't sound like ideal conditions for the diesel engine, they need the conditions above to clean the DPF, if it becomes clogged you can get this issue. Some recommend taking it onto a motorway or dual carriageway and driving it hard to force the regeneration. That does depend of course on it being a DPF problem.

Whilst driving have you noticed from time to time that the engine fan becomes v noisy ? You can normally hear it most when parking up, if you take it out of gear with the engine still on you'll see the ECO light flashing telling you that the stop start won't engage whilst the DPF clean is running.

This happens to me every now and then and I sit on the drive to let it finish with the engine running (max 10 mins). If you turn it off the car will wait for the optimum conditions again before retrying the DPF clean. If you only do short journeys this may never complete. Luckily I do 240 mile trips every other weekend so I hope mine is occuring then

I believe the dealerships can force a regen of the DPF for you, not sure if that's via the ECU or just by taking it out and driving it harder in low gears to start one off though.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've noticed the fan on sometimes.i use the motorway to get home from my gfs house. If I took my car out and drove it hard as you said could it turn the engine light off? I've also noticed the economy light flashing at times too, but that's if I forget to turn the economy off but it still works. Even if I took the car for a drive do you think it would clear?

Comment

Or even let the car run in the driveway? I just don't wanna wreck the engine :/

Comment

Get someone to do a fixed regeneration of the dpf just to be in the safe side,have seen it done normally just via the obd port,probably jamie best person to ask as that was where I seen it being done while there

Comment

Engine light came on

PSA cars usually display a specific message when the DPF is full, think it says "particle filter full" followed by "engine fault". If all you got is just "engine fault" then I would suspect something else.
                    Get it plugged in and diagnosed asap
                    White on red THP
                    Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Yeah just says engine repair needed. But car only has 57000 miles on it :/

Comment

Sadly the amount of miles doesn't guarantee immunity from any mechanical issues Given what Jamie has said above I'd get it into the dealer to look at it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah its going to citroen next Friday. Only time I could get it booked in as I'm going on holidays tomorrow. But started it today and no engine light? Should I drive it tonight and still bring it to citroen next week?

Comment

Yes because they can still see what caused it to come on in the first place and you want to know that for when/if it happens again.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

It was fuel that caused the light to come on. I always get my fuel from a topaz garage but when they took the fuel out it was pure yellow :/

Comment

Working...
                              X