Moved Into Our New House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved Into Our New House

First off, credit where credit is due, I have been 3500 miles away during the entire thing but luckily I have an amazing CDS (chief of domestic staff) who considers such distractions to her home and work life as mere piffle.
    Put our old house on the market, bid on the new one, all the nightmare admin in between and the entire move planned and conducted single handily, yip a keeper, hence why 28 years as team SFG.

It wasn't all smooth going, we had been looking at moving for a couple of years as our savings were earning very little in the economic climate but finding something better than we already had in the right area blah blah blah was a nightmare. Finally we found what I spose could be considered a dream house, nice and rural which is ideal for the hounds but not too far from road and rail links to London, close to the Thames but at arms lengths from those dreadful 2nd generation mockney Essex types. Mrs SFG phoned up but the property had been snapped up within hours of coming on the market, curses.

So we continued to look and bank more paydays then amazingly the house came back on the market, the previous buyer couldn't raise the funds but the seller would only take bids from somebody who already had their property on the market. Ours went up for sale that afternoon, three views that night and an offer for the asking price the following morning, we were back in the game, they accepted our offer and the ball was rolling.

Several minor dramas later, and being able to buy a house outright renders you a possible drug dealer in the eyes of most conveyancers it seems, we are in.

Whilst the hounds love the Essex countryside and farmland right outside the back door, they are not happy with the new house and seem to be growling at anything that wasn't moved from the old place, they will calm down once they become familiar with the smells and their new room (yes I have a scullery ). Cant wait until the 10th of Feb when I'm home and see the place for only the second time (looked around it in Nov when last home).

So once I'm home we will have the decorators in to square away the horrid pastel shades currently adorning most rooms, groundkeeper willy to work his magic and replace the turn with AstroTurf and il be setting up the new mancave.
    TV and sound bar are already in the online shopping basket as is a few other bits and pieces, Ms SFG being a design student will paint the walls and I will recover my PCs from their current residence of Mr SFG Snr and set them back up.

In the middle of that I'm in France for a week in the turbo roller-skate which will include purchase and carriage of supplies for the subsequent house warming party.

BOOOOOOOOOM

Congrats mate, hope you settle in quickly and as with a new car...................... PICS
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
      Congrats mate, hope you settle in quickly and as with a new car...................... PICS
      Ive got a few but some do feature a wall papered in something pretty horrid. The house is only 9 years old (old one nearly 100 years old) so it will take time to get used too a modern place, our other houses have been around 30 years old at the time so had some character to them. I loved that our old place seemed to be built out of granite, girders and kryptonite, modern houses are a little like modern cars, efficient and easy to use but can lack character. Il post pics of the mancave that I will start before France and finish soon after.

So glad we managed to land this place but scary that we have cleared out our bank accounts in doing so, money wasn't earning anything which is some consolation although my plans for the DS have been put back a good few months ha ha ha.

Comment

Must have been a difficult decision, DS or house, I know I would have had to think long and hard but my mrs wants a new house as well! might have to get her some Lego bricks
        DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
        Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
          Must have been a difficult decision, DS or house, I know I would have had to think long and hard but my mrs wants a new house as well! might have to get her some Lego bricks
          It made financial sense, current interest rates are going nowhere soon so saving are in effect dead money. Investments offer an even worse return if 2015s 15% drop is to continue into 2016. Since we agreed the buying price, properties in the immediate area have risen by 0.9% so already we are on our way to nullifying the expense of moving.
          In my 30 years of property ownership, I have constantly been given 'expert' advice from people who have themselves acquired little more than huge personal dept.

Comment

Working...
          X