Anyone able to provide some legal advice? Traffic Offence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone able to provide some legal advice? Traffic Offence

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me what to expect here.

Before I explain what happened I already understand what happened was completely my fault and I take full responsibility for my actions. I know what I did was silly and I'm merely trying to come to terms with it and decide what to do.

Without going into great detail about my family history etc I'll begin by saying I lost a parent when I was a child, and that parent left me a dog tag with a message from her engraved on it. As you can expect this is my prize possession and I always have it with me no matter where I am. The necklace attached to the dog tag snapped the other day so I took a trip to my local shopping centre to see if their jewellers had a suitable replacement. They had nothing to suit, so I left, however half way home I realised I didn't have it with me. I began to panic and turned around, and drove back to the shopping centre rather fast, I was clocked at 55 in a 30 zone by a policeman standing at the roadside with a speed gun. I was flagged down and told I was being charged and would receive a court summons. He claims I am being charged with reckless driving, which I suppose it was. I did not explain the circumstances to him at the time as I was still in a hurry to get back to the shopping centre. I answered all of his questions politely and went on my way.

Now I'm stuck in the position of having been driving for 8 months, just bought a new ds3, with a very high chance of my license being taken from me. Not to mention the astronomical insurance increase I'll no doubt be hit with next year (It's already on the expensive side being 18 and having a thp).

I was recently let go from my job due to budget cuts and I am currently looking for employment. So the thought of a hefty fine is also worrying me.

I've never been in any sort of trouble with the police before so I have absolutely no idea what to do, can someone please give me a few pointers on where to start or how to deal with the situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys

unless you had a serious accident, I cant see them taking your licence away just yet, though this is dependant on the Judge on the day. is this a first time driving offence? have you points already on your license?

I would seek legal advise, as going to court you may need so advise on what NOT to say, and how to the plead your ignorance or a very good reason to the Judge.

good luck!
    Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

I was worried that I'd receive 6 points, as that would mean losing my license. Not been in any sort of trouble before, no points or other offences.

I plan to make an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow and explain my situation. But once again the costs are worrying me due to currently being unemployed. I realise explaining myself the way I have on here wont get me anywhere in court, so I'm not sure how to explain to them that it was a one off and that it is not how I drive normally.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Firstly, what Toxic said - If you do receive a summons get legal support, even if it's just a call to citizens advice to see if there's any help you'd be eligible for.

Whilst not in an identical situation we've all done something silly and later come to regret it - I was lucky in the sense I received a Section 59 rather than the points.

The fact you've not been given a producer (to take your licence to a station) at the side of the road means you'll be expecting something in the post. What that is, we can't be sure of andf until that time comes I imagine you'll just need to live in dread

Out of the back of this may come a silver lining though Kieran, I can't promise anything but drop me a PM with your CV if you'd like and I'll forward it on to our Glasgow office and see if we can get you back on track.
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Appreciate your help. I'll give citizens advice a ring tomorrow morning and explain the situation.

I dont have access to my laptop at the moment but as soon as I do (hopefully tomorrow) I'll PM you my cv. Thank you!

Comment

Some solicitors do a first initial 30 minute consultation. It's worth giving a couple a ring. I went down this route many years ago (I saw 3 to be exact) it also gave me piece of mind I was opting for the better solicitor and who I felt was going to defend my corner so to speak.

I just typed in free initial consultation solicitors in Glasgow

This was the first one that came up, there were quite a few to go at though.

http://www.theglasgowlawpractice.co....s-glasgow.html

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you! I'll get in contact with a few tomorrow and see where I stand with the situation. Much appreciated

Comment

Have a look at this website, which seems to have quite a lot of useful information. http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk
                "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Up to 25 mph over the limit is the standard fine & 3 points on your licence if they try to say other wise I would say you're being treated un fairly

Comment

If you want a list of solicitors have a look on the Law Society's website. That lists everyou solicitor. Www.lawscot.org.uk

Go speak to CAB for some free advice.
                    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

It may be something you've looked at already but it's worth having a read of your motor insurance policy to see whether it includes legal aid. If not check with your insurer whether they'll allow you to add it to your policy mid-term and claim immediately. Also careful if they say claiming legal aid will affect your NCD, it may not be worth it but again it depends on your insurer.

Comment

Working...
                      X