Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance requesting lots of documents

Hi guys,

Took out a policy with A-choice insurance around a month ago, due to their price being the only competitive one I could find!

Beginning to regret the decision as each week I've received an email from them requesting yet more documents.

It started with a copy of my driving record, followed by the driving records of the named drivers, then came the proof of no claims, then a full copy of the cars v5 logbook.

Each time I've sent a document I've received confirmation that it's been validated. However today I received another email asking me to provide further proof of no claims.

Apparently they contacted my previous insurer to validate my proof of no claims, however the previous insurer would not provide said information due to the data protection act.

Sounds a bit off to me, especially since there was no problem with the original proof of no claims that I sent off 2/3 weeks ago.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I should do? Each time I've been told I have 7 days to produce the documents before risking further action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by KieranHamilton View Post
    Hi guys,

Took out a policy with A-choice insurance around a month ago, due to their price being the only competitive one I could find!

Beginning to regret the decision as each week I've received an email from them requesting yet more documents.

It started with a copy of my driving record, followed by the driving records of the named drivers, then came the proof of no claims, then a full copy of the cars v5 logbook.

Each time I've sent a document I've received confirmation that it's been validated. However today I received another email asking me to provide further proof of no claims.

Apparently they contacted my previous insurer to validate my proof of no claims, however the previous insurer would not provide said information due to the data protection act.

Sounds a bit off to me, especially since there was no problem with the original proof of no claims that I sent off 2/3 weeks ago.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I should do? Each time I've been told I have 7 days to produce the documents before risking further action.

Some insurers are just plain dodgy it might be worth checking your t&c's because it sounds like they might be building up a profile to sell your information to other insurers, telemarketers etc.
    If the stuff they are requesting isn't included in the t&c's confront them and I'd suggest going elsewhere, most insurers will compete if you can show them a lower price
    DStort
    DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

This is coming from a fellow young driver (second car) who pays £1050 for their insurance :P
      DStort
      DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Moonhead View Post
        Some insurers are just plain dodgy it might be worth checking your t&c's because it sounds like they might be building up a profile to sell your information to other insurers, telemarketers etc.
        If the stuff they are requesting isn't included in the t&c's confront them and I'd suggest going elsewhere, most insurers will compete if you can show them a lower price
        I'll dig out the terms and conditions and have a read through, my initial thought was that they were hoping I wouldnt be able to produce the documents and that they'd be able to cancel, keeping my deposit.

I'll see what I can do, cheers!

Comment

That data protection is quite correct. Get your previous insurer to send you proof of no claims, and then forward it to you new insurer.

Comment

^ This - I had to do that for my insurance change this year. Althought it's a PITA the requests so far don't look unreasonable. Just be careful if you decide to walk away and they cancel the policy you will need to declare that at renewal Well I'm always asked if I've ever had a policy cancelled anyway - I can't think saying yes will reduce the premium.
            sigpic

Comment

Its worrying that they didnt ask for these documents at one time, surely these circumstances are far from rare so there should be familiar protocols in place. ie you want service X therefore please supply Docs A, B, C, and F.

Comment

Certain policies may be subject to extra checks either at random or if certain things about your risk flag it as at high risk of fraud.

Some companies won't discuss proof of bonus even on cancelled policies so they may well have phoned your previous insurer.
                Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                  ^ This - I had to do that for my insurance change this year. Althought it's a PITA the requests so far don't look unreasonable. Just be careful if you decide to walk away and they cancel the policy you will need to declare that at renewal Well I'm always asked if I've ever had a policy cancelled anyway - I can't think saying yes will reduce the premium.
                  You don't have to declare it if you cancel, only if they do. You're well within your rights to cancel (within 14 days I believe) but if they cancel it for you, it's usually because you've done something very bad.
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                    You don't have to declare it if you cancel, only if they do. You're well within your rights to cancel (within 14 days I believe) but if they cancel it for you, it's usually because you've done something very bad.
                    This.. The "Have you ever had insurance cancelled" isn't questioning you. It's questioning if an insurance company has revoked your insurance due to fraud, ineligibility, etc..

Think about what happens when you sell a car mid-policy.
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

To be honest with you it sounds like your insurance company is just cutting costs by having you provide all the information rather than paying to use the DVLA database.

In your shoes I would be on the phone asking why all these documents are required, as pointed out it most likely is just the insurance company making background checks.
                      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                      Bigfeet's File Repository
                      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                        This.. The "Have you ever had insurance cancelled" isn't questioning you. It's questioning if an insurance company has revoked your insurance due to fraud, ineligibility, etc..

Think about what happens when you sell a car mid-policy.
                        Are you sure ? I was told that if a policy is cancelled by the insurer (as per my original post) that it has to be declared no matter for what reason......

I'm pretty sure that when I last used insurance comparison sites that was one of the questions, it didn't specify for what reason

You cancelling a policy is of course fine providing you notify the insurer accordingly.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've thought about cancelling already, however I'm paying monthly and being a young driver my deposit was quite big.

Just to clarify, I've sent them my renewal from my previous insurer a few weeks ago. They are now saying they need further proof or I'll risk losing my cover.

Contacted my previous insurer and they have told me the document I provided already is adequate proof, so all they could do is forward me another copy of the renewal.

Going to phone the new company today and complain, was told my proof of no claims had already been 'validated' by them 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X