Any electricians on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any electricians on here?

Found something odd when changing a light switch in a new (under 10 years) build house.

Thanks
    sigpic

5 year time served indentured app, then moved into Telecommunications
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Ok, thats 5 year time served indentured app more than me. So replacing a double light switch, one switch turned on and off an outside light, the other turns on and off a hall light.
      That hall light can be turned on and off by a second double switch that can also turn on and off a landing light.
      Behind the door double switch there are two bundles of wires,
      One bundle has 2 x Brown, 1 x Blue and 1 x Black
      Second bundle has 2 x Brown
      There was also a short piece of Brown wire that had bridge some part of the set up.
      The landing light is fine in all of this and turn on and off fine by the second double switch.
      Whatever way around i try i cant get it all to work properly, either outside light and no hall light or hall light from the first double but not the second, and pretty much every permutation in between.

Before you ask, no i didnt see how they came of the old light as they all sort of popped off and i couldn't be 100% certain of how they went back on.
      The new switch is a normal two way with COM, L1 and L2 on both sides.
      sigpic

Comment

Dont do sparking any more

The colours dont signify much TBH
        You may well need an intermediate switch, which is one positioned between 2 x 2 way switches

2 way switching can be a nightmare, you have to be there to prove the wires ie see what does what
        2 of the wires on a 2 way system are strappers

Should be a feed wire, and a return switch wire, then strappers, can be any colour but must be synced other end
        Last edited by Chris_Blue; 03-02-2017, 17:09. Reason: spelling was awful- now corrected :-)
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

I've put the new switch on the wall with 50% functionality. I think IL pop into an electrical shop next week when I'm off. Cheers Chris.
          sigpic

Comment

if you were more local, would come have a look.
            mind you , the dogs look painful

If you keep playing around you will get there in the end- its just a pain
            Just dont short the live out with a neutral, but you shouldnt have a neutral there (Usually black or blue)
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

No, it's just 2x COM, 2 x L1 and 2 x L2
              sigpic

Comment

Yes- 2 x COM (Common to both switches) should be the strappers- 2 wires which go between the 2 switches, identified by colour

Then one L1 will be the permanent live to the switch, then the other switch L2 will be the wire that goes to the light. The light will then have its own neutral which normally shouldnt go via the switch
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  Yes- 2 x COM (Common to both switches) should be the strappers- 2 wires which go between the 2 switches, identified by colour

Then one L1 will be the permanent live to the switch, then the other switch L2 will be the wire that goes to the light. The light will then have its own neutral which normally shouldnt go via the switch
                  Im not at home at the mo but will upload a pic tomoz.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drummond Base View Post
                    Im not at home at the mo but will upload a pic tomoz.
                    OK, But if the switch is faulty, then it could be wired up correct and still not work
                    The switch that works, you could swap for the wiring that goes to the switch that doesnt work and see if it works...if you get my drift
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thats the point, i tried the switch that did work but cant remember exactly what wires went where and with the colours not making sense it doesnt help
                      sigpic

Comment

Youve mixed up the strappers (Commons) which are the 2 wires that go between the 2 switches.
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                        X