Double penalties for motorists using mobiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double penalties for motorists using mobiles

No notification is that important on your phone that it can't wait until you have reached your destination or pulled over safely to respond.

Personally I think this is a good thing, here is some info about these new legislations:

New drivers face losing their licence if they use their phones at the wheel under tough measures coming into force today (1 March 2017), warned Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

Motorists using a phone while driving will receive 6 points on their licence and a £200 fine – up from the previous 3 points and £100 penalty.

Motorists caught using their mobile twice or accruing 12 points on their licence will face magistrates’ court, being disqualified and fines of up to £1,000. New drivers, within 2 years of passing their test, risk having their licence revoked and lorry or bus drivers can be suspended if caught.

Can I check social media or texts if I'm queuing in traffic or stopped at traffic lights?
    No - a hand held phone cannot be used, even if stopped at lights. Texting and scrolling social media (even if the phone is mounted on a hands-free holder) is distracting and dangerous. It doesn't come under the handheld mobile phone law but the police may decide to charge you with a number of other offences.

Can I use my phone to listen to music, play podcasts or watch video clips?
    You can't watch video clips - not even if your phone is mounted in a hands-free holder.
    You can use your phone to listen to music and podcasts but only if your phone is in a hands-free holder or connected by Bluetooth.
    However, just as you can be distracted by the noise of a car radio, if it affects your ability to drive safely, you could still be prosecuted by the police.

Can I use my phone's sat nav?
    Yes - as long as the phone is mounted in a hands-free holder. If it's in your hands, it's illegal.
    However, if you are distracted by the sat nav and it affects your ability to drive safely, you could still be prosecuted by the police.

Can I pull over to check my phone?
    Yes, providing you are safely parked with the engine switched off, you can pull into a lay-by or pull up on a single yellow line (providing there are no road markings showing restrictions at that time).

What counts as hands-free?
    A dashboard holder or cradle, earphones or a Bluetooth connection. It is illegal to use hand-held microphones or to hold your phone out on loudspeaker.
    Smart watches and voice-activated software are legal, but again can be a distraction, and the driver may be liable for other offences.

So what can I do on my phone?
    You can only use your phone in your hands if you are safely parked. The only exception is if you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it is unsafe or impractical to stop.

What about learner drivers?
    The same rules apply, and it is also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or motorcycle rider.

Department for Transport
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

I'm so happy about this. Countless times I've wished I had a horn that shouts "GIT OFF YER DAMN PHONE".

I do wonder about my iPod though - iPod classic so not touchscreen, plugged into aux, sat on the passenger seat. If I want to skip a song, am I able to reach over and press the button, or would I have to mount it in a handsfree holder? I don't actually go and select new music, I just have it on shuffle and skip anything I don't want to listen to. All done by ear and feel, no actual looking away from the road.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Probably this would apply then Bens : "However, if you are distracted by the iPod and it affects your ability to drive safely, you could still be prosecuted by the police."

Comment

Too right .. 2 things in driving that are inexcusable using a mobile phone and drink driving.
        Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
        E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

Liam still shakes his head at people that are on their phones whilst driving, doesn't have the same effect inside an MX5 as it did when he was on the back of his motorbike
          My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
            Liam still shakes his head at people that are on their phones whilst driving, doesn't have the same effect inside an MX5 as it did when he was on the back of his motorbike
            I still shout at them too.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

i cant recall ever having a conversation on the mobile when driving, if not in a cradle

However, i have been guilty of viewing, and rarely, sending the odd text to the other half when moving on slow traffic
              Also when its lying on the seat next to me, looking seeing who is calling
              All madness- i suppose ive been lucky

I also shout at people (Under my breath) when people weaving over the road, going really slowly, wont move from fast lane and all are on the mobile

I have readdressed my actions, and the phone will remain firmly in my pocket when I am driving, and have told the wife not to expect instant responses. Surprisingly difficult to do today.

This law is only a good thing.

I am also 21yrs old, tall dark and handsome, to boot a multi millionaire.

DISCLAIMER: Various aspects of this thread are not accurate
              Last edited by Chris_Blue; 02-03-2017, 20:07.
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Definitely a good thing, seeing people not paying any attention at all because they are looking down glued to their screens makes me shout, even today some young woman was on her phone in slow moving traffic and almost took a motorcyclist off his bike because she was looking at her phone and then had the cheek to shout at him like it was his fault, the guy was pretty chilled, although I imagine he'd of been more angry if he had realised she was on the phone.

On the way home early this morning I noticed a few police officers stopping people by the local petrol station, I imagine catching people on phones and other things while they were there like seat belts etc.

Comment

I'm on the road all day, use as Ear piece in my wagon, and blue tooth in the car see so many it's unbelievable.

Comment

Damn I better set up my bluetooth.

Comment

What brand is the phone holder that a bunch of people here use which clips into the vents?
                      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

always hear good stuff about brodit mounts, don't use any mount myself.
                        Originally posted by cyclone
                        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                        Originally posted by Broda
                        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I have this for my phone. I like it, especially as it's just a magnetic one so I won't need to buy another mount when I change my handset next year.
                          Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
                          Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

Working...
                          X