Computer says NO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer says NO.

Computer says no, generation, VS good old fashioned common sense based on time served experience and knowledge.

BMW MINI developed a coolant leak only when hot, the coolant was collecting on top of the gearbox, directly above the gearbox is the two stage electro thermostat, upon a visual it was blindingly obvious the thermostat housing was the culprit, a hairline crack had developed over the many heat cycles over the years, expanding enough when hot to allow a small leak whilst under normal pressurised operating condition, once cooled the hairline crack self sealed.

My self diagnosis was confirmed at my local MINI dealership, a new electro thermostat was fitted, coolant topped up and presumably the workshop technician bled all air from the coolant system, ran the engine to operating temperature, waited for the electro thermostat to open to fully circulate the coolant, whilst triggering the coolant fan on, and continue to run the engine until the coolant fan switched to off, triggered by the closing of the electro thermostat, all basic procedure when dealing with any coolant system.

It transpired that this basic of basic procedures was not done, as less than a week later, the coolant expansion bottle was empty, this visual of the coolant expansion bottle was triggered by the lack of heat in the heating system in the car, there was no coolant leak evident, the coolant was topped up, the heating system was still hit and miss, heat some days, no heat on other days.

Further visuals of the coolant system after every journey indicated absolutely no external coolant leak or indeed any loss of coolant from the expansion bottle, hmmm intriguing, I hear lots of you saying head gasket, again there was no evidence to indicate head gasket failure, no over pressurisation of the coolant system, no coolant loss, no emulsification of the oil system, no emulsified odour either in the coolant or oil, to indicate signs of compression contamination, hmmm intriguing.

Sometimes being technically minded goes against you, I was now over thinking, I had just about every possibility racing through my mind, maybe a hairline crack in either the cylinder head coolant jacket, maybe a hairline crack in the block coolant jacket, maybe the new thermostat was faulty, not opening at all, maybe the water pump impeller shaft shaft had broken, and although the external water pump drive pulley was spinning, the impeller could be stationary due to a broken shaft !!

At this stage, without wanting to continue any further self diagnosis, strip down of components etc etc, I stepped back, stopped over thinking, or tried to, and went back to basics, we had no external coolant leak, there was no obvious internal engine leak, no heating system leak into the car, no coolant over pressurisation, I then had the engine idle waiting for the coolant fan to be triggered by the opening of the coolant electro thermostat, after what was way too long, the thermostat should have opened and the coolant fan should have triggered on and off, completing a normal coolant operating cycle.

Everyone still following this, good, I then touched the coolant top hose, which fed from the electro thermostat to the radiator inlet, this was very hot to the touch, quite normal, I reached in to the radiator itself, and to my surprise, the radiator at the top was only just about tepid to the touch, but only at the very top, first two or three rows, then cold all the way to the bottom of the radiator, hmmm this should have been as hot as the top hose itself, I then reached under the car, touched the bottom coolant hose, this was full of coolant yet absolutely cold, no heat whatsoever, hmmm.

This to me and many others would now indicate a failure of the coolant radiator from internal Aluminium corrosion, blockage etc etc, yet the coolant showed no sign of corrosion debris, what next, coffee break and head scratching, back to overthinking, I know exactly how the coolant system operates on the BMW MINI's and coolant systems in general, I now start processing how any of the coolant systems electrical sensors could be the cause for what is now looking like an internal flow issue, the heating system valve is fully operational, as is the electro thermostat sensor which triggers the coolant fan, yet the coolant fan never triggers, the coolant fan is free to rotate, I can trigger it manually, so all good, hmmmm.

During all this investigation I have noticed that the coolant overflow return does indeed have positive flow, indicating that the thought of the water pump impeller shaft being broken is not the issue, so why no flow ?

I've gone over and over the complete system in my head and physically on the MINI, my mind is made up, the coolant radiator has collapsed internally, restricting flow, the coolant flow simply recycles through the heater matrix and not the engine coolant radiator, simple as that, or so I thought, hmmm still thinking.

I then make the call to my local MINI dealer, relay the whole story from the time they fit the electro thermostat, including my self diagnosis that the coolant radiator will need replacing, furthermore, because I'm a good customer and my expertise is recognised, and I've even solved issue that their technicians can't diagnose, they agree to fault find FOC, great news for me.

Two days on, I'm still overthinking the coolant issue, it's also got the MINI dealership scratching their heads, as is usual today, the computer diagnosis showed no stored fault codes, and so that indicates to the young or less experienced technician, there can not be a fault !!

We are now at a stage where the most experienced technician/service manager is holding his hands up with the conclusion that there is NO fault, all because the computer says NO, what next ?

What next, good old fashioned stage by stage thought of just how each component operates, now modern engines require fast warm up to meet strict stringent emission figures, to allow for fast warm up, you need to close down coolant flow, this on the BMW MINI engines is done with a two stage electro thermostat, an electronic controlled water pump, this is controlled by a self heat regulating friction wheel, which is not driven from the ancillary drive belt directly by a pulley wheel, it is as the name suggests, driven by friction applied force to the outer of the drive belt, as this friction wheel is electronically controlled through the ECU, it's mechanical applied force is a constant under normal operation, which pulses in and out as demanded by the temperature parameter control in the ECU.

So with all the mechanical components in working order, all electronic sensors sending correct signals, a radiator which has not internally collapsed allowing a blockage, there is still no coolant circulation flow observed whilst the engine idles or fast idles !!

After lots of head scratching, overthinking and discussions including testing another MINI with the same engine, specifications etc, which also resulted with the apparent lack of coolant circulation flow, cold radiator/bottom hose etc, the general consensus from my local BMW MINI dealership is, that somewhere along the road of software updates, BMW MINI have altered the engine operation temperature parameter control for emissions !!

I'm NOT convinced of this diagnosis, and will continue to give this issue further thought, that said, once my local BMW MINI dealership workshop sign off their diagnostic results, as NFF (no fault found) after exhaustive testing, the onus will be on them, should a coolant issue occur in the future, however, even with the onus on BMW MINI, I will have a hard time proving onus.

TBC.....
    Last edited by Czar; 20-04-2017, 11:49.
    Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

What a rollercoaster ride!

Hope you get it sorted Czar. Let us know if you find a satisfactory solution.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Blimey.....modern engines seem to be more hit n miss than the ones my Dad serviced himself in the 1970`s! Hope a positive conclusion is reached and soon!
      LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
        What a rollercoaster ride!

Hope you get it sorted Czar. Let us know if you find a satisfactory solution.
        Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
        Blimey.....modern engines seem to be more hit n miss than the ones my Dad serviced himself in the 1970`s! Hope a positive conclusion is reached and soon!
        Thank you Gentlemen, let's hope so, yes modern engines are way more difficult to diagnose, only because of over complex electronic control to meet current and future emission legislation, than those of yesteryear.

Back in the good old days, if your engine stopped running it was a very easy fix, it had either run out of fuel/fuel delivery lost its spark, or had a large fist sized hole in the engine block where a piston and connecting rod decided to retire to the stratosphere, lmao.

Back with the BMW MINI, my train of thought is now focused on the exhaust catalytic converter and pre/post lambda sensors, what has this got to do with coolant circulation flow, well, due to the fast warm up electronic circuitry, as all the coolant sensors are sending correct signals with no fault, the ECU (DME control unit) relies on a fuel enrichment charachteristic map which takes signals from the engine temperature charachteristic map which controls when the electronically controlled friction wheel and water pump activates, which starts the coolant circulation flow once the electro thermostat receives the open signal from the ECU (DME control unit) to allow full circuit flow for the coolant, if the exhaust lambda is reading a low oxygen situation, the ECU still thinks the engine is in its fast warm up cycle, which keeps the coolant constantly flowing around the short circuit, which is the engine block and heater matrix only, with no flow to or through the long open circuit the radiator.

So that's the next stage, trying to convince my local MINI dealership to test the pre/post exhaust catalytic converter lambda sensors, I am struggling to understand why there is no factory puma support diagnosis information from Germany on this issue, surely this can not be a solitary case !!
        Engineered Horsepower

Comment

It is a Mini after all............... German engineering ;-)
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            It is a Mini after all............... German engineering ;-)
            LOL, yes, fine quality German engineering, the same German engineering as found in the Citroen DS3 THP !!
            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

What are you getting at here?
              White on red THP
              Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

After much head scratching, lots of discussion, I was not convinced that any software update was responsible for any overwrite of the coolant two stage electro thermostat, allowing only the short circuit (engine block/heater matrix only) to be the primary coolant circularitory flow map, I simply was not believing it, I was adamant there was a very simple logical answer to this issue.

I've been at my local MINI dealerships workshop all day, my original afterthought Tuesday evening, was that the friction wheel was at fault, however, workshop discussion and the fact I could see it in full operation, showed evidence to my theory the friction wheel was or could be at fault.

That said when you get a gut feeling, and you can back that up with knowledge, sometimes it's best to stand your ground and go with your knowledgeable gut feeling, I became obsessed that this coolant flow or lack of, was in someway linked to the friction wheel, with the MINI on the lift, engine idling, I watched and patiently waited for the friction wheel to click in, similar fashion to an AC pump drive pulley system, and then click out again, one hour of engine idle later, the friction wheel had not been triggered by any of the coolant sensors to open the full flow coolant circuit, hmmm.

What I did next created much amusement in the workshop, also bemusement too, with the engine switched off I set about measuring the ancillary poly belt and marking it with a yellow marker at predetermined measured intervals, this gave me pointer locations that could be picked up with a strobe light (ignition timing light) I also marked the friction wheel to, I now how synchronised timing marks on both the friction wheel and the water pump pulley, this would determine any slip between the two, engine running, the workshop looking on, somewhat baffled, some probably thinking this guys a nutter.

The marks showed up very clearly under the strobe light, and yes, yes I could not only see the slip, it could be measured too, all the proof I needed, the friction wheel was allowing slippage resulting in a reduction of applied friction to the ancillary poly belt, wich in turn resulted in the water pump pulley not being driven at crankshaft pulley rotational speed, insufficent coolant flow, to trigger any of the coolant sensors to open up the full coolant circulatariry flow, just one more issue lay ahead, was it the friction wheel itself at fault or the actual poly belt itself.

The workshop still looking on, said it must be the friction wheel, I then educated them that it may just be as simple as the ancillary poly belt, lots of eh how can that be ?

Let me explain gentleman and show you how, we have a friction pulley which is a constant, same applied friction force, we also have a ancillary poly belt which stretches over time and is subject to heat cycles, not only that, as a poly belt stretches, and elongates due to stretch, it also becomes thinner too, the working tension range of the friction wheel has a stop limit, when the ancillary poly belt stretches from the pre tensioner applied force, and elongation reduces the poly belt thickness, we end up with a situation where the applied friction force of the friction wheel has not enough working travel to take up the now overstretched elongated ancillary poly belt, resulting in the issue of poor friction applied contact rotation.

With a trip to the parts department a new ancillary poly belt was sourced, upon returning to the workshop, I set about measuring in relation to the old tired ancillary poly belt, whilst educating the workshop too, some of the technicians were very sceptical, and no matter what I said to prove my point, only a practical demonstration would settle their disbelieving minds, I marked the new ancillary belt in the same way as the old ancillary belt, remarked the friction wheel pulley, installed the new ancillary poly belt, and with the engine idling once again, the strobe light did its job, no more slippage was detected, with the MINI down on the floor, engine still idling, the coolant fan kicked in on stage one, we now had full coolant flow, a few minutes later the coolant fan kicked in on stage two, we now had a hot radiator and bottom radiator hose, which at the start of this saga, were stone cold.

All in all, you can have all the computing power available, the computer says no, yet good old fashioned knowledgeable experience with full understanding of how components operate, and what happens to components during their working life, will always pay dividends over the computer says NO.
                Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Fascinating post, I can't believe how unwilling the garage mechanics were to take some free education from someone obviously more skilled than they were. I hope they all learnt from that experience and now have a better mindset when it comes to approaching abstract issues, rather than using technology over brainpower.

Are you satisfied now the fault has been fixed (almost entirely by yourself I might add)?
                  ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                  Join the Facebook Group!
                  Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I have to say Czar, I have read this post with extreme interest and I'm very impressed with not only your technical expertise, but your drive and determination to get to the bottom of the problem. Like Ben said it's been a fascinating read and I find it really interesting that your local Mini/BMW garage allow you to be so heavily involved in troubleshooting. They obviously have alot of time and respect for you and your knowledge, as I don't know of any other person, that's allowed into a garage and physically and mentally assist trained technicians.
                    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                      Fascinating post, I can't believe how unwilling the garage mechanics were to take some free education from someone obviously more skilled than they were. I hope they all learnt from that experience and now have a better mindset when it comes to approaching abstract issues, rather than using technology over brainpower.

Are you satisfied now the fault has been fixed (almost entirely by yourself I might add)?
                      It's not so much unwillingness, more a case of they obviously believe they know best, as they work full time in the MINI workshop, have been on numerous training courses, which do not teach them anything other than how to plug into the diagnostics port, note any fault codes, refer to the factory system which will give them the component part linked to the particular fault code, the particular component is replaced the fault codes cleared and hey presto the vehicle is repaired, more often than not, the same or another fault code appears, and the technician looks bemused, back to the factory computer system for another answer, a very simple process of the computer telling the technician the answer, this method is not teaching any technician the fundamental basics of mechanical engineering, how any vehicle component operates, why any component fails in the first instance, how a component could be prevented from failure, why replacing what may seem to be a faulty component seems to repair the initial fault, when in actual fact the initial fault, is the result of a chain link failure process, which can be traced back to the actual component which is the initial trigger of component failure, sadly today technicians are not mechanical engineers, they do nothing but remove and replace components with factory backed computer based answers.

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                      I have to say Czar, I have read this post with extreme interest and I'm very impressed with not only your technical expertise, but your drive and determination to get to the bottom of the problem. Like Ben said it's been a fascinating read and I find it really interesting that your local Mini/BMW garage allow you to be so heavily involved in troubleshooting. They obviously have alot of time and respect for you and your knowledge, as I don't know of any other person, that's allowed into a garage and physically and mentally assist trained technicians.
                      Thank you so very much.

I have a fantastic working relationship with my local MINI dealership, and a few other MINI dealerships countrywide and have had for almost 10 years, I have a great deal of time for these guys, as they have for me too, as i have mentioned numerous times before, when things go wrong either in or out of warranty, and you the customer, gets upset when what you think your case has a valid reason for a warranty claim, do not get angry with your dealership, you need to be as understanding with them as possible, as they the dealership have their hands tied by their franchised contract with the factory, try working with your dealership as they can be very helpful in fighting your case against the factory, if the factory initially says NO, keeping your dealership happy, is the positive step forward, not screaming at the guys, put yourself in their shoes, you come in all guns blazing, you are only going to be negative with the angry customer, using the confident polite manner, with a degree willingness to listen and reason out any possible questions, will only help your case!!
                      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Sometimes being technically minded goes against you, I was now over thinking, I had just about every possibility racing through my mind, maybe a hairline crack in either the cylinder head coolant jacket, maybe a hairline crack in the block coolant jacket, maybe the new thermostat was faulty, not opening at all, maybe the water pump impeller shaft shaft had broken, and although the external water pump drive pulley was spinning, the impeller could be stationary due to a broken shaft !! https://www.dumpsleader.com/PEGAPCDS...xam-dumps.html

Comment

Working...
                        X