DIY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY.

When you need to step up your game and stop faffing about with lesser tools, there is always the right tool for the job when trimming mature trees in your garden, cutting the logs and heavy duty timber.

Get yourself a 36" blade crosscut handsaw.

Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

Looks like hard work to me no chainsaw...

Comment

Originally posted by pmk View Post
      Looks like hard work to me no chainsaw...
      Using a hand saw is only hard work when the saw teeth have lost their edge (blunt) and the individual trying to cut with a hand saw, hasn't learn't how to hold and cut with a hand saw correctly, a chainsaw only cuts quickly when the cutting edge of the chain is sharp, is a hand saw really that much harder work when cutting vs a chainsaw ?

A hand saw weighs less, so doesn't require the same physical effort to hold, push and pull the mass weight, doesn't need fuel/oil mix, doesn't need many attempts to start it (wasted energy) and isn't anywhere near as dangerous in operation, as messy or indeed brutally disturbing to the ears, a hand saw keeps you physically strong and fit, using hand saws are a form of cardiovascular exercise too, so no need to visit a gym, as we get older we need to stay in shape, do I own a chainsaw…no.
      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

I have a nice sharp, lightweight, reasonably quiet, electric chainsaw with a chain brake - It starts every time at the press of a button.

That leaves me more time to enjoy riding my eMTB (awesome by the way!), go to the gym, and play with my other toys.........................
        Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post
          I have a nice sharp, lightweight, reasonably quiet, electric chainsaw with a chain brake - It starts every time at the press of a button.

That leaves me more time to enjoy riding my eMTB (awesome by the way!), go to the gym, and play with my other toys.........................
          I had no idea there was an electric chainsaw, we live and learn, however, I will continue to use hand saws until I either cut a finger/s off, or I succumb to age where I need to employ a gardner/handy person.

What is an eMTB ?

I have just Googled eMTB, it seems we even need help to pedal a Bicycle now, isn't having electric assistance slightly cheating, a false sense of ones own ability, maybe I am just a traditionalist, I don't own a Bicycle either, so not best placed to comment, lol.
          Last edited by Czar; 16-05-2017, 12:21.
          Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Very nice!

Now that we have our own garage I'm currently in the process of building up a workshop. Things are going well so far
            Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-07 at 13.47.43 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	361106

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-07 at 13.47.43 (2).jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	361107

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-07 at 13.47.43.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	361108

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-07 at 14.44.07.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	361109

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-05-16 at 08.48.52.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	361110
            Last edited by Dangerousfish; 16-05-2017, 07:49.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
              Very nice!

Now that we have our own garage I'm currently in the process of building up a workshop. Things are going well so far
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14307[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14308[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14309[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14310[/ATTACH]
              That's great, it's essential a man has is own space, man cave, keep up the good work.
              Engineered Horsepower

Comment

I assume you sharpen your own tools, given the expense of them. How long would it take you to sharpen your new saw?

Any tool recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg and don't fall apart like the ones on eBay and Amazon?
                cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I assume you sharpen your own tools, given the expense of them. How long would it take you to sharpen your new saw?

Any tool recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg and don't fall apart like the ones on eBay and Amazon?
                  I am very fortunate, I have been taught how to sharpen saw teeth and set them, so I purchased the necessary tools to do the job, furthermore, I own more than one of each of my most frequently used hand saws, when one looses it's edge, and I don't have the time to sharpen it myself, I drop it off or arrange for it/them to be dropped off at Thomas Flinn tools (saw manufacturer) Sheffield, where I purchase all of my hand saws, how long depends on the TPI (teeth per inch) my 26" 10 TPI crosscut hand saw takes me on average about 1 hour to sharpen and set.

when I want absolute precision cuts with the minimal amount of wood removal (thickness of blade) I use my traditional Japanese saws, these are sharp like no other saw, they are razor sharp, with a very high TPI count and cut on the pull stroke and not on the push like British, European and American saws, cutting with a saw on the pull stroke feels different but gives far greater control over the cutting action, they also cut very fast in comparison to other saws too, they can be very expensive if you go for the master traditional hand forged £200 + from one of only a very small handful of Japanese forging masters who still manufacturer each individual saw in the traditional manner one at a time, they are exquisite works of art, and require a trip to Japan to source these, and naturally once they loose their edge, you need to get them back to Japan for sharpening and setting, it is becoming a rare art now, one of the master forgers I was lucky enough to meet was in his 80s and still teaching his sons the very complex process.

With the above out of the way, there are very good mass produced Japanese hand saws, which are razor sharp, very precise, with the blade as a consumable, they retail about £40 and a replacement blade is approximately £20 well worth the money, once you've seen a Japanese saw in use or tried a japanese hand saw, you'll wonder why you didn't purchase one before.

Hand tools are for life, so be prepared to spend money, it's better to buy once on a quality piece, than a dozen cheap pieces over two years!!

Hand saws: British; Thomas Flinn tools and Japanese Gyokucho saws.

Hand planes: British; Clifton planes American; Veritas, Lee Nielsen or take a look at Japanese hand planes, that's a whole story on it's own.

Bench chisels: British; Robert Sorby, Henry Taylor, Ashley Isles. American: Veritas, Lee Nielsen, Blue spruce. or Japanese, again out of this world.

Electrical tools, Makita, Bosch, Festool of you want to be flash but nothing Makita can't do!! Mafell if you want robust quality, if you want woodworking machine shop tools, look no further than Felder.

I'm sure you've got the gist, a good place to start browsing is here: https://www.classichandtools.com/index.html

If you want to see quality woodworking craftsmanship, check out http://samuraicarpenter.com

If your feeling mega flush, check out Karl here : http://www.holteyplanes.com I am very fortunate to have a few of Karl's planes.
                  Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Very nice Liam, you make the whole thing from scratch?

Regarding tools I found you tend to collect them as and when you need them, but I would make sure you have a good knife, level and vice grips.
                    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                    Bigfeet's File Repository
                    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post

Hand planes: British; Clifton planes American; Veritas, Lee Nielsen or take a look at Japanese hand planes, that's a whole story on it's own.

Bench chisels: British; Robert Sorby, Henry Taylor, Ashley Isles. American: Veritas, Lee Nielsen, Blue spruce. or Japanese, again out of this world.

Electrical tools, Makita, Bosch, Festool of you want to be flash but nothing Makita can't do!! Mafell if you want robust quality, if you want woodworking machine shop tools, look no further than Felder.

I'm sure you've got the gist, a good place to start browsing is here: https://www.classichandtools.com/index.html

If you want to see quality woodworking craftsmanship, check out http://samuraicarpenter.com

If your feeling mega flush, check out Karl here : http://www.holteyplanes.com I am very fortunate to have a few of Karl's planes.
                      Just the sort of advice I was looking for! I'm fortunate in that carpentry was my grandfathers craft and I'm hoping that his tools haven't been stored in a bad way in the mothers garage when I go to collect them. Nonetheless, if they're a little worse for wear, it's another project for the list.

Thanks for the advice as ever Czar.
                      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                        Very nice Liam, you make the whole thing from scratch?
                        Built from template but adjusted slightly to bring up to my height. Used 8ft of timber but unfortunately my pocket hole jig didn't arrive for the weekend when I'd set some time aside to build this. It's not as neat as I would have liked but everyone has to start somewhere, eh?
                        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Just the sort of advice I was looking for! I'm fortunate in that carpentry was my grandfathers craft and I'm hoping that his tools haven't been stored in a bad way in the mothers garage when I go to collect them. Nonetheless, if they're a little worse for wear, it's another project for the list.

Thanks for the advice as ever Czar.
                          Glad I could be of some help, if any of your grandfathers tools are beyond salvage repair, fear not, here is a link to Jim Bode, the only down side, Jim is located in the USA, and we are subject to import value taxes, I have purchased from Jim in the past for those very rare antique tools, and Jim is extremely helpful with import to the UK: http://www.jimbodetools.com
                          Engineered Horsepower

Comment

I am very fortunate, I have been taught how to sharpen saw teeth and set them, so I purchased the necessary tools to do the job, furthermore, I own more than one of each of my most frequently used hand saws, when one looses it's edge, and I don't have the time to sharpen it myself, I drop it off or arrange for it/them to be dropped off at Thomas Flinn tools (saw manufacturer) Sheffield, where I purchase all of my hand saws, how long depends on the TPI (teeth per inch) my 26" 10 TPI crosscut hand saw takes me on average about 1 hour to sharpen and set.

when I want absolute precision cuts with the minimal amount of wood removal (thickness of blade) I use my traditional Japanese saws, these are sharp like no other saw, they are razor sharp, with a very high TPI count and cut on the pull stroke and not on the push like British, European and American saws, cutting with a saw on the pull stroke feels different but gives far greater control over the cutting action, they also cut very fast in comparison to other saws too, they can be very expensive if you go for the master traditional hand forged £200 + from one of only a very small handful of Japanese forging masters who still manufacturer each individual saw in the traditional manner one at a time, they are exquisite works of art, and require a trip to Japan to source these, and naturally once they loose their edge, you need to get them back to Japan for sharpening and setting, it is becoming a rare art now, one of the master forgers I was lucky enough to meet was in his 80s and still teaching his sons the very complex process.

With the above out of the way, there are very good mass produced Japanese hand saws, which are razor sharp, very precise, with the blade as a consumable, they retail about £40 and a replacement blade is approximately £20 well worth the money, once you've seen a Japanese saw in use or tried a japanese hand saw, you'll wonder why you didn't purchase one before.

Hand tools are for life, so be prepared to spend money, it's better to buy once on a quality piece, than a dozen cheap pieces over two years!!

Wowzer- and i thought this thread would be about putting up a shelf ;-)
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Glad I could be of some help, if any of your grandfathers tools are beyond salvage repair, fear not, here is a link to Jim Bode, the only down side, Jim is located in the USA, and we are subject to import value taxes, I have purchased from Jim in the past for those very rare antique tools, and Jim is extremely helpful with import to the UK: http://www.jimbodetools.com
                              They look awesome

My Dad has always made anything in our houses, all the cabinets, wardrobes etc so I've always grown up with an understanding of how to use tools. The Kindling box in the garage was always the bits of wood I could use and make things from.

For Christmas in prep for us getting a house I asked Liam for a DeWalt drill

I'll edit this post from my phone with pictures of the pallet bar I made.
                              My DS3R3... nearly....
                              New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X