Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581
    Does this spell the end of aftermarket tuning and performance add-ons.
    sigpic

It only specifies NEW cars to be banned, which I hope means we'll be able to run riot in older petrol cars without being taxed to hell.

Tuning will likely survive but as a much smaller industry, and add-on companies based in countries without bans (which isn't gonna be many, America will likely follow suit once Trump's gone).

Hopefully this push means that more companies will look at performance electric cars - we can't all afford Tesla Model S P100Ds....

But it's not gonna be the same without bwaaaahhh, psssshhhht, stututututututu, pops, crackles, bangs......
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

This would be pointless unless there is more serious investment into our nation grid and power supply. At present the current system would not cope with a sudden influx of electric cars all trying to charge at night.

The only issue for me is that electric cars are not really "Green" at present, yes they make no emissions but the environmental damage caused from the construction process needs to be readdressed.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

What I don't get is that more fossil fuels will be burnt to generate the electricity to put in the grid to charge the cars. I reckon if you work out the energy losses, then powering electric cars is even less efficient than an ICE in terms of fossil fuels burnt.

Before moving to electric cars we need a national grid which can sustain itself on at least 70% renewable energy sources.
        Join the Facebook Group!
        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
          What I don't get is that more fossil fuels will be burnt to generate the electricity to put in the grid to charge the cars. I reckon if you work out the energy losses, then powering electric cars is even less efficient than an ICE in terms of fossil fuels burnt.
          Exactly what I was thinking yesterday.
          My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

They will use natural means to generate the electricity and/or nuclear power. As somebody who regularly cycles around London i welcome the buses changing from diesel to less stinking fuels. Im not bothered about the planet as im not sold that we are doing anything that didnt already happen several times millions of years before we were here.
            sigpic

Comment

I also agree that the planet will survive - but we won't. And as soon as humans have forced their own extinction then all the other life will take over the planet again.

That or we jump ship to another planet, but that may be at least 100 years away.
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I also agree that the planet will survive - but we won't.
                I agree, ive just got back from holiday were unfortunately i came in contact with the general public relatively often, the number of children under 16 who WERE NOT overweight was shockingly low, the number who would easily be classed as obese was staggeringly high. And it's no surprise, watching bad parenting in action when it's easier to fill up a four years plate with chips than spend a few more seconds selection some veg or salad.
                sigpic

Comment

These ban proposals are completely useless.
                  Just for Germany based on an average 15kW/100km consumption we would need at least four times higher electricity production
                  than we have now just to cover the private driven kilometers.

Comment

Was laughing with a customer about this yesterday, he said he was going a heap loads of shares in an anti trip sign company. Think about it, come 2040 walking down the street after 5pm with be fraught with danger because of all the cables coming out of peoples houses across the pavement to charge cars!

Comment

People also fail to take into account how much power it takes to make the batteries. Telsa's state of the art new batteries take about 8 years of petrol driving CO2 release to make just 1 cars battery pack.
                      Originally posted by cyclone
                      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                      Originally posted by Broda
                      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                        Think about it, come 2040 walking down the street after 5pm with be fraught with danger because of all the cables coming out of peoples houses across the pavement to charge cars!
                        Just walk down the middle of the road instead, you'll hear the cars coming. Oh wait.....
                        Join the Facebook Group!
                        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Just walk down the middle of the road instead, you'll hear the cars coming. Oh wait.....
                          And the irony is that AVAS (acoustic vehicle alerting systems) will be required on all electric cars after 2021 to make them loud like normal cars but will fitted with a kill switch allowing drivers to turn it off...

Comment

There's a simple solution to the problem of where to plug in your 2040 electric car. . . buy a hydrid, which will be allowed.

Comment

all the old bangers will suddenly go up in value...
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X