Bastard snow!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bastard snow!!!!

Got an unwelcome confirmation this morning that the DS3's Potenzas are useless in the snow.

It hasn't snowed very much down here, deep in the wilds of Suffolk - only a couple of inches at most - but overnight the Siberian blasts blew the snow off the fields, and drifted it to a depth of 4-5 inches across the farm track that leads to my house.

Over the years I've always managed to get through snow of that depth, in a wide variety of machinery, but not this morning. Tried for over an hour, but kept getting stuck every few yards and having to dig myself out. Absolutely no grip whatsoever. Even the Eagle F1s on the Leon were better than this.

Result? Several cancelled appointments, and an unexpected day at home, digging myself out (no joke when you've got nearly half a mile to clear). At the present rate of progress I'll be shovelling for days, & even then I suspect that the tyres won't cope.

Phoned around this morning for some winter tyres, but everyone seems to be out of stock (surprise, surprise). And apparently you can't fit snow chains to the 17" wheels.

Bugger.

I found out that they clog with snow very easily last night, I think that a set of cheap steel wheels with mid priced boots would be better in the snow, having said that the 17" wheels with the Potenzas under "normal" conditions take some beating.

Comment

I must say that i'm surprised by that, we've had at least a foot of snow and the roads here are untreated expect the main drag and our DS3 has been a wee gem in the snow with lots of grip on the ice.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I Only Got The 16" Alloys And The Snow Gets Clogged Up In My Arches Very Easily... Worrying Reely Seeing As I'm Slamming Her 45 Down All Round Soon =/
        Last edited by ZACK; 01-12-2010, 11:54.

Comment

My DS3 was ok on the icy roads, it was once I got onto fresh snow that it bogged down, mind you there was 6 - 8" of the stuff and the main problem was getting moving on the slope that cause the greatest problem....Elsewhere the traction control worked a dream, ,maybe I should have bought a tractor, just incase we had a load of snow.

Comment

I would think that the John Deer club site would a little different to this one!!
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

snow and ice aint my main concern its that shite that the gritters chuck down is the problem!

Comment

bollox, my left wing mirror won't point downwards, the right one has ice holding it in place which I've broken but I cant see the ice in the other mirror. I guess this is a reuslt of my washing it in the freezing cold on Sunday, as I washed the soap off with the hosepipe it actually froze on my roof in an instant. Hopefully my wigmirrors just need to thaw
                sigpic

Comment

Your bloody lucky to actually see a gritter, our main road didn't see one until late am today, should have been done yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by john55810uk View Post
                    Your bloody lucky to actually see a gritter, our main road didn't see one until late am today, should have been done yesterday
                    Gritter??? WTF is that then?

Comment

Its one of those big yellow things that councils claim are out working to keep our road clear, but in reality are as rare as hens teeth.

Comment

Looks like the DS3 isn't a big fan of the snow, my mp3 won't load any of my memory sticks in this cold. Quite gutted if I'm honest.
                        sigpic

Comment

That sounds pretty weird, but can't believe that its snow related

Comment

Originally posted by john55810uk View Post
                            That sounds pretty weird, but can't believe that its snow related
                            Me Neither lol

Id Check Your Mem Stick Enthusiast !

Comment

I live about a mile from a gritted main road i use a pair of Good Year Snow Socks on the front there a bit inconvenient putting them on and off
                              but if i did not use them i would not get out as i live at the bottom of a hill, there good in snow and ice and have no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X