Cheap 4x4 for the white stuff ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 4x4 for the white stuff ...

My perenially unsympathetic other half, hearing about my tale of woe today getting the DS3 royally stuck in a snowdrift, suggested that I should perhaps have bought a Chelsea tractor instead....

That got me thinking ... I wouldn't want to swap the DS3 - which is simply brilliant for 95% of the time - for a 4x4 which only comes into its own for a few days a year, I've got room in the barn for another car, and given that I live in the back of the back of beyond, half a mile down an unmade track, it would make sense to have a cheap-to-run 4x4 to get me out of trouble if & when the need arises.

My first thought - on the cheap 'n cheerful theme - was a Panda 4x4. We had a series 2 Panda 4x4 back in the day that did great service for 6 years and 60k miles until it rusted away. The current version is only available in woefully underpowered, snail-like 1.2 guise (unless you pay through the nose for the funky diesel Panda Cross), but there must be other options out there (leaving aside the little Suzukis, which are unsafe at any speed).

Any suggestions?

Cheap Land Rover ?

Comment

Originally posted by T 24CK T View Post
      Cheap Land Rover ?
      Is there such a thing? Have looked at a few over the years, and the cheap ones were sure-fire money-pits.

Comment

AutoTrader Is Worth A Shout ?

It All Depends On Yoru Budget Gar, Im Not Gunna Ask What It Is lol But Its Hard To Offer Suggestions If Ya Know What I Mean

Comment

Say around £4-5k max? And for that amount it would need to see me through a good few winters without stupid annual servicing costs...

Comment

Ex MOD Land Rover? They come with a full service history and have generally been well maintained. Should come within budget too. Colour choice might be a bit limited though.

Comment

Working...
            X