Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know today is......

3rd January: Drinking Straw Day

Thanks to Marvin Stone, the drinking straw was patented on January 3rd, 1888.

So how did drinking straws as we know them come to be? It all started in 1888. Before we had the plastic straws of today there were paper straws, and before that beverages were sipped via a tube of natural rye grass. Marvin Stone was tired of all of his drinks tasting of grass, so he put his thinking cap on and came up with a solution: paper straws. He wrapped a piece of paper around a pencil to create a tube, removed the pencil, and then glued the tube together.

Stone owned a paper cigarette holder company, which surely helped lead to his innovation of the straw. Once the paper straw tested well with local drinking establishments Stone upgraded his technique. He began wrapping manila paper into a tube and then coating it with paraffin wax, creating a much stronger straw than the original paper and glue. This model was patented on January 3rd, 1888. Two years later Stone was selling more straws than cigarette holders. In 1906 a machine was invented to roll the straws instead of rolling them all by hand, and the rest is history.
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

That is so.....yawn....darn int................................oops sorry dozed off again

JB

Comment

I'll keep the thread toppped up with awesome facts as the year goes on, I know you'll be waiting eagerly Jimbob....
      My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Didn't mean to be mean Joni - just my sense of humour

JB

Comment

Oh I know!

Yesterday was National Science Fiction Day....
          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

I shall look forward to your updates WTF. In my opinion you can never have too much knowledge.
            Even if some of the knowledge we gain is completely useless to us. Glad u didn't bother with the sci-fi blurb( now that
            would have sent me to sleep).

Regards Tbart

Comment

Lol I like this thread, me likey a lot !

Comment

4th January

Hypnotism Day
                There are huge amounts of skepticism and a significant number of misconceptions around hypnotism, yet evidence would suggest that it has definite effects, practical applications and real-world impact, although there are arguments about whether or how much the placebo effect may be a factor. Regardless, Hypnotism Day aims to tackle misconceptions head-on, explore case studies and educate about modern applications of hypnotism.

Early Hypnohistory
                People have been entering hypnotic-type trances for thousands and thousands of years; various forms of meditation play an important role in many cultures' religions. But the scientific conception of hypnotism wasn't born until the late 1700s.
                The father of modern hypnotism is Franz Mesmer, an Austrian physician. Mesmer believed hypnosis to be a mystical force flowing from the hypnotist into the subject (he called it "animal magnetism"). Although critics quickly dismissed the magical element of his theory, Mesmer's assumption, that the power behind hypnosis came from the hypnotist and was in some way inflicted upon the subject, took hold for some time. Hypnosis was originally known as mesmerism, after Mesmer, and we still use its derivative, "mesmerize," today.

Spaghetti Day
                Did you know that the first historical reference to boiled noodles suggests that the Arabs invented the dish thousands of years ago? What’s remarkable about this record is that it actually refers to dried noodles purchased from a vendor, which means that pasta has been sold in stores since at least the 5th century!

Today we associate pasta with the Italians, who revolutionized the dish and invented a wide variety of pasta shapes. Spaghetti is the most common round-rod type of pasta and in Italian, “spaghetti” means “little lines.”

World Braille Day
                World Braille Day celebrates the birth of Louis Braille, inventor of the reading and writing system used by millions of blind and partially sighted people all over the globe.

Born in France in January 1809, Braille became blind following an accident when he was just three years old. Eager to study and access the great works of literature, he eventually created a language based around patterns of raised dots on paper that could be felt and therefore read by those who were unable to see.

Though not a public holiday in any country, World Braille Day provides an opportunity for teachers, charities and non-government organizations to raise awareness about issues facing the blind and the importance of continuing to produce works in Braille, providing the blind with access to the same reading and learning opportunities as the sighted.
                My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Best thread ever ! Keep it up Joni x
                  sigpic

Comment

8th January

Bubble Bath Day
                    Today is Bubble Bath Day! People have been enjoying warm baths for thousands of years. In Ancient Rome, bathing at a public facility was part of the daily routine for most citizens. A trip to the Roman baths might include a dip in the caldarium (hot tub), a brief break in the laconicum (sauna), and a refreshing swim in the frigidarium (cold pool).

Up until the late 1940s, the average American bathed once a week for personal hygiene. Today, a daily shower is standard, but it’s important to indulge in a luxurious soak every once in a while.

Argyll day
                    We’ve all got a favourite knitwear pattern, right? Heck, most people suffer sleepless nights trying to prioritise plaid over tartan. Well this is the day where argyle fans get to come out loud and proud. Yes, finally you can dig out all thirty-six pairs of socks you’ve hidden at the back of the wardrobe since Christmas and pair them off with the spoils of raiding your grandad’s golfing gear.

The argyle (occasionally argyll) pattern is made of diamonds or lozenges. The word is sometimes used to refer to an individual diamond in the design but more commonly refers to the overall pattern. Most argyle layouts contain layers of overlapping motifs, adding a sense of three-dimensionality, movement, and texture. Typically, there is an overlay of intercrossing diagonal lines on solid diamonds.

The argyle pattern is derived from the tartan of Clan Campbell, of Argyll in western Scotland, used for kilts and plaids, and from the patterned socks worn by Scottish Highlanders since at least the 17th century.
                    My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

When's "Free sex with Mila Kunis day" Joni?

JB

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post

JB

You have to be an honest, insurance paying, law abiding driver to be considered for that day. Hard luck James 😆

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
                        Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                        Take a pride in your ride
                        @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post

JB
                          When ever you want if you have a good imagination.........
                          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
                            When ever you want if you have a good imagination.........
                            Or an obliging right hand lol

Sent from my Experia Z tablet using Tapatalk
                            Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
                            Take a pride in your ride
                            @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                              You have to be an honest, insurance paying, law abiding driver to be considered for that day. Hard luck James ��

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
                              Below the belt Andy, below the belt

JB

Comment

Working...
                              X