Calling all techies..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all techies..

Got an old desktop computer with a dead power supply and want to get an external drive and dump all of the data from the pc onto the external drive using one of our laptops.

Any advice tips or equipment I should be looking into to do this?

Thanks in advance

Phil

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    Phil Moran

sigpic

Either, remove the 3.5" HDD from the PC, buy an external HDD caddy http://www.scan.co.uk/products/dynam...hdd-1-x-usb-30 and connect to your Laptop via USB.

Or

Buy a new Power supply Unit http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-...n-atx-v203-psu

If it was me I would buy a new PSU and transfer the data via USB stick, over wifi etc etc, at least you will still then have a working PC left at the end.
    Last edited by Superfly Guy; 27-01-2014, 18:20.

Comment

Thanks I knew you lot wouldn't let me down, I did try and find a new power supply but it is a micro hp tower and was having difficulty. Not to mention I thought it had to be the same one

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

What SG said.

Probably a new PSU is the easiest. Just check the connectors on the motherboard.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hi Phil, all you need to do is remove the hard drive out of your old pc and connect it to your laptop via a hard drive docking station. You can then access the drive as you would any external drive, plus you wouldn't need another external drive to move the data to, you could use it off of the original drive or directly transfer it to your laptop.

Gary
          DS3 1.6 Bluehdi Dsport Plus :STrooper:

Comment

Cheers guys. Just had another thought to, if I were to email scan with the pc details they should be able to help me with a psu shouldn't they? Be nice to have the desktop working again. Then back up all the files anyway

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
              Thanks I knew you lot wouldn't let me down, I did try and find a new power supply but it is a micro hp tower and was having difficulty. Not to mention I thought it had to be the same one

The PSU is a PCs most overlooked bit of hardware, even MS fell foul of PC basic rules with the Xbox, don't scrimp on your PSU unless you want things to die prematurely.

Anyway, if you plan to use the PC then investing in a decent PSU is worthwhile.
              Have a look on here http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...r-supplies/all and just check the dimensions, even micro towers can house decent sized PSUs, I have two Micro ATX cases and both take full sized PSUs.

If you can post the exact make/model of the desktop il check what connectors you need.

Comment

Originally posted by scubagazza View Post
                Hi Phil, all you need to do is remove the hard drive out of your old pc and connect it to your laptop via a hard drive docking station. You can then access the drive as you would any external drive, plus you wouldn't need another external drive to move the data to, you could use it off of the original drive or directly transfer it to your laptop.

Gary
                Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                Either, remove the 3.5" HDD from the PC, buy an external HDD caddy http://www.scan.co.uk/products/dynam...hdd-1-x-usb-30 and connect to your Laptop via USB.
                Boomtastic

Comment

The PSU is a PCs most overlooked bit of hardware, even MS fell foul of PC basic rules with the Xbox, don't scrimp on your PSU unless you want things to die prematurely.

Have a look on here http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...r-supplies/all and just check the dimensions, even micro towers can house decent sized PSUs, I have two Micro ATX cases and both take full sized PSUs.

If you can post the exact make/model of the desktop il check what connectors you need.
                  Thanks I will check out out when I'm home :-)

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

One of my Mini ATX cases with a full sized PSU.

Comment

One of my Mini ATX cases with a full sized PSU.
                      Lol the green cables and what looks like a bottle of green stuff makes it look like a bomb from a die hard movie lol

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Its coolant, same as a car system. Radiator, reservoir, pump, tube, block.

A rig I built my daughter for school work and SIMS (mostly SIMS). obviously pink.
                        Last edited by Superfly Guy; 27-01-2014, 18:40.

Comment

WOW love a uber powerful pc for photo and video editing but need other things more at present

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

In response to you asking what it was it is a HP Pavilion Slimline S3000

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390851297781.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	356375

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Out of curiosity, how do you know its the PSU that has died?

Its a Mini ITX case which means a normal ATX PSU will not fit. The part you will need is HP Part Number 5188-7520 Power Supply Replacement.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-...Slimline+S3000

http://www.overtek.co.uk/products These guys will have what you need,
                              Last edited by Superfly Guy; 27-01-2014, 20:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X