• Show
Clear All

A good wax. Looks well my friend

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    Andy DS3 Club's Resident OCD Detailer!
    Take a pride in your ride
    @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Are certain wheel shiners not good for tyres. Was told at a car parts place that those with forms of mild acid and caustic soda can actually make your tyres go brownish over time?
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

No idea ......Andy?
        ***** Clio 182 182BHP - SOLD *****
        ***** DS3 DSport Plus 155THP - SOLD *****
        ***** Audi S3 300BHP - KEEPING *****
        ***** DS3 Performance Black 210THP - CANCELLED ORDER *****

sigpic

Comment

I use that cheap £4.99 tyre dressing from Halfords- brings the tyres up fab. Its a bit oily tho.
          Just wondering, with a new set of PS3 tyres going on in 2 weeks, whether i should use a named product or not

FAB DS3 WPR BTW LOL
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

I use Autoglym ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Think i will convert to some sort of sponge applied dressing- the overspray is a pain
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yes I find the overspray very annoying ....you have to re clean panels - alloys etc

sigpic

Comment

Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone:

a) Water - based silicone dressings, usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS)that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; solvent-based silicone is not biodegradable.

Best bet is to go for a dressing that is not a solvent based silicone applied with a sponge applicator. (A cut up 40p yellow car sponge is perfect)

@cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Thing is Andy- you look at the ingredients on these products and half of them say next to nothing
                    Water based the way to go then
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRacoon28 View Post
                      Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone:

a) Water - based silicone dressings, usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS)that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; solvent-based silicone is not biodegradable.

Best bet is to go for a dressing that is not a solvent based silicone applied with a sponge applicator. (A cut up 40p yellow car sponge is perfect)

What was that last dressing you used Andy?
                      DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                      Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                        I use that cheap £4.99 tyre dressing from Halfords- brings the tyres up fab. Its a bit oily tho.
                        Just wondering, with a new set of PS3 tyres going on in 2 weeks, whether i should use a named product or not

FAB DS3 WPR BTW LOL
                        Thanks Chris ...sorry only just noticed that compliment ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                          What was that last dressing you used Andy?

Non solvent, non toxic Gaz so looking like it fits in the first category.
                          @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Looks like thats the one to go for then
                            DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                            Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                              Looks like thats the one to go for then
                              Hold your horses. Update on the wear of this will shortly be posted but a sneak peek is this picture of the tyre after just 54 miles

This was it 54 miles earlier

Wear is not good on first impressions
                              @cleanyourride_uk

Comment

Was thinking getting that product myself too actually- saw it on ebay. Will hold back the Stallions LOL

Your welcome DS3WPR
                                Last edited by Chris_Blue; 28-03-2014, 22:49. Reason: spell
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X