Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The photography CHAT thread...no pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The photography CHAT thread...no pictures!

Instead of hijacking everybody else's threads, I thought I'd start this one just for a general chat about photography/lenses/cameras etc. and not to post pictures. We can keep the pictures in our own threads.

So...what's everybody shooting on? What kit would you like to get? What got you into photography? How long have you been shooting? Do you do it professionally? Have you done courses?

I'll get the ball rolling...

My grandma bought me a digital camera about 10 years ago. Just a basic point-and-shoot Fuji but it produced amazingly good photos and that's what got me into photography. My school was really academic (ie. maths/English/history/sciences) and didn't offer any sort of photography lessons/courses and it couldn't even be part of art GCSE or A-level. I went to uni after school to do Physical Geography...dropped out...went the following September to do Human Geography...dropped out. On my second attempt, one of my tutors put me in touch with the photography department and I did a short course in B&W then went onto the HND and actually finished it!

After uni I had a few photo jobs, the highlight being Alfa Romeo's photographer at Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2008 but now I've kinda let it lapse and I only shoot for myself. I will get back into it though. I work for *a large high-street photographic retailer* so at least I'm around cameras every day.

I shoot mainly landscape and architecture but I like to do a little wildlife and car-related stuff. I am 100% useless at portraits. I just don't know how you take a good portrait.

Currently my digital kit is a Canon 5D mkII, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-300mm IS USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon Speedlite 430ex II. I'm thinking soon of upgrading the 70-300mm to either the L series version or the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 but I'd really need a converter as well for that. 200mm isn't much reach on full frame. That setup will cost me about twice as much as the 70-300mm L though. I don't do that much telephoto stuff though so I don't know if I can justify the 2.8 option.

I've also got an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm 1.8 (awesome lens) and 35-200mm which I "borrowed" off my dad about 6 years ago, and a Canon EOS 300 35mm SLR with a...lens. Just had a look and can't find that one!

Compact camera-wise I have a Canon Ixus 300HS (one of their best ever compacts, ridiculously good in low-light) and Samsung gave me a WB710 and MV800 which are very...ok. Still, they were free!

So...let the geeky camera talk commence!
    May 2011 - October 2015: White body/black roof/white Bellone THP150
    October 2015 - Present: Black body/emerald green roof/black Aphrodite THP165
    Instagram @adamds3

I've always enjoyed photography act but never found the time to really get into it and just made do with simple point and shoot compacts. After being dragged from a camera shop in Cardiff last year Boo bought me for Christmas Nikon D5000 with a 18-55mm lens kits. I was over joyed and have become a happy snapper ever since, still very much a beginner at the moment but am enjoying learning!
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I've been taking pics for the last OMG 38 years with lots of different cameras in fact I have a bit of a collection of old cameras ranging from an old Leica to Nikon compacts they are all 35mm apart from a couple. I now use a Panasonic DMC G3 micro four thirds with a couple of lenses I have a few compact digitals fuji 4300 an olympus.
      I am really pleased with the Panasonic especially using RAW for the laptop, the only trouble is getting 64bit codecs for the Panasonic images.

Comment

THP good idea! somewhere I can go wild about photography and not be classed as a nerd for doing so haha
        Currently own a Canon Eos 1000d ( I know a basic DSLR, but good for now), standard 18-55mm lens and a 90-300mm telephoto
        Also like to do alot of night photography so have a tripod and remote shutter cable for them long exposures! Will more than likely be bringing my kit too FCS and the motor museum!

Comment

It's not the kit...it's the person using it. I've seen plenty of godawful images printed at work taken on pro cameras and some genuinely good stuff shot on compacts.

Been talking to a few people today about the Panasonic G/GF cameras. They've got a cashback offer on some of their lenses at the moment too so if you're looking for one then there's £50 back on most of them.

I've just treated myself to a 70-200 2.8 IS tonight. Won't get chance to use it until Friday though. It's put a severe dent in my car fund for next year though!
          Instagram @adamds3

Comment

I dabble in some photography but mostly sport action shots and some landscape. Not too keen on portrait as never seem to be able to get it right.

Love to be able to do some bird and animal photography but do not have the patience to sit around all day waiting to get that once in a lifetime shot.

Equipment:

Canon 400D
            Canon 550D
            Canon 60D
            Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens
            Canon EFS 18-300mm Lens
            Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM for Landscapes and some portrait
            Canon Zoom Lens EF100-400mm L IS Ultrasonic for Sports action shots like Motor Racing.

Love to get at Canon Zoom Lens 100-800mm L IS Ultrasonic but need a mortgage to afford one.

Almost forgot also have a Canon IXUS 210 to catch those spur of the moment shots.
            Last edited by AJ07; 04-04-2012, 23:00. Reason: Almost forgot Canon IXUS
            sigpic

Comment

Agree with THP, I have captured some great pics with just my camera phone. But that said having the right kit does help a bit

Comment

Always loved photography recently got a Nikon D3100 standard lens and a Sigma 70 - 300 lens which is awesome. Just need time to get out and take some shots.
                I couldn't fix yer brakes so I made your horn louder!

Comment

I've got a tamaron 70-300 mm lens and I think I need a tripod as I can't hold that one still enough!

Thinking about a 35mm Prime lens for my next buy.

Comment

Bit OT but wanuted to say:

Can I just ask that if you would like to use any images on here that you at least ask the owner of the photo. I'm crudely watermarking some of my better shots, if you would like a copy for a desktop wallpaper etc, please just ask. It's nice to know others appreciate them, its not so nice to stumble accross them uploaded to other sites.

Thanks
                    My DS3R3... nearly....
                    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ07 View Post
                      Love to get at Canon Zoom Lens 100-800mm L IS Ultrasonic but need a mortgage to afford one.
                      Wasn't that a rumour/joke a few years ago?

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                      I've got a tamaron 70-300 mm lens and I think I need a tripod as I can't hold that one still enough!

Thinking about a 35mm Prime lens for my next buy.
                      To be honest, the Tamron 70-300mm is actually a pretty decent little lens to start out with. I borrowed a mate's a few years ago (and I still have it...oops) at Goodwood and got some perfectly good shots.

WTF, that's why I only upload really low-res shots. I'd be livid if I found my work being used by someone else but I've never seen anyone nick any of my photos yet though...touch wood. I use a shot taken on that Tamron 70-300mm that I uploaded to my phone to help sell the lens and one of my colleagues keeps asking me to send him the picture so he can do the same instead of always borrowing my phone to show customers. I know if I do that, he'll say he took it. Then a slap would be in order.
                      Instagram @adamds3

Comment

Originally posted by AJ07 View Post
                        2x Extender with 100-400mm?
                        Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
                          2x Extender with 100-400mm?
                          Have one but no good for action shots as it renders the stabilizer and auto zoom inoperative.
                          sigpic

Comment

Auto zoom?
                            Instagram @adamds3

Comment

Originally posted by THP View Post
                              Auto zoom?
                              Sorry meant autofocus
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X