Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - A few questions

Hi all,

Hopefully next weekend (should have been this weekend but TescoBank have been messing me around) Me and the Mrs are hoping to look at some DS3's we a view to picking one up ASAP.

I think we will end up with a 1.6VTI as by the sounds of it, it is a the more reliable motor and I don't do enough miles to justify a diesel. With that in mind are there any common issues/problems I should be aware of? and any particular options you think are a must?

I did try doing a search but it was mainly coming back with issues relating around the 1.6 THP.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Hello!

Check the exhaust bracket, some corrode but it's an easy fix if it's not sound
    The 120 isn't prone to many BIG things like the THP, but it was susceptible to a temp sensor fault - again, nothing major.

If it has Bellones on:

Check the centre caps for corrosoisn.

More probably it will have the Asheras's, and these had less reports of corrosion

Check both of lacquer damage/kerbing
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll make sure to check the brackets. I've had too many bad experiences recently with exhausts and corrosion for my liking. I assume centre caps aren't that expensive if they need replacing so I won't have that as deal breaker.

It will be nice to get back in to something kind of sporty after too many years out in my current OAP wagon (Jazz)

Comment

Hiya, I have the engine in question, absolutely no issues to speak of! Anything that's gone awry with mine has been wear and tear related (albeit made worse by the car dealership not actually doing the service they claimed to have done).

Temp sensor was on a recall notice, just pop into your local Citroen once you have the car and they'll do a free check and replacement if your sensor part number is one of those on the recall. It might even already have been checked.

As mentioned above, a quick look over for wheel corrosion is a good idea. Will look like white spots under the lacquer or just straight rust.

A few (very few) people have had trouble with paintwork bubbling, so give it a look over for any signs of that too
        ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
        Join the Facebook Group!
        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by BenSayers View Post
          TI assume centre caps aren't that expensive if they need replacing so I won't have that as deal breaker.
          Caps no, but its the wheel that corrodes and the tell tale sign starts around the cap. Then it's downhill from there.
          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

BenS - Ta! Thankfully enough there is a Citroen dealer only a 2 minute drive from where I live so I will no doubt become the bane of their lives... That's good to know about the temp sensor on recall too.

WTF - Ah. I get you now. I'll make sure to have a good look. Worst case is that it's an 'excuse' to get a new set of wheels but I don't know how well that would go down with the other half.

Kind of gutted I can't go shopping this weekend, waiting is the worst part!

Comment

I know my local Citroen/Hyundai joint garage has said "Citroen owners are a weird bunch, they seem to know everything about their cars"! I certainly knew a lot more than the parts department when I've been in before.
              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I had my 120 for over 3 years - she never missed a beat Until the Temp Sensor Fault. But that was easily sorted.
                My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Car people are just passionate ("weird")!

I had similar when I had my Mini GP. The thing used to constantly break and I'd have to tell them what to look for/fix as the amount of times they gave me the car back still broken was unreal. Got my own back though when I had enough and let one of them take it home one night to prove there was a fault and it broke down on him on A1 in peak rush hour traffic for the exact reason I said. I enjoyed getting that call the following day.

Comment

Welcome to the club Ben. Lots of Ben S's on here now Good luck with the search and when you pick it up, get some pics up on here. We all like pics.
                    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks I will do!

Hope to do the odd mod here and there but won't be going overboard.

Thinking to dechrome as much as possible, lower it a bit, the facelift rear lights, and back an axle-back backbox just to tweak the sound a little bit.

Comment

Just a wee update - I went from wanting a nice reliable VTI to somehow ending up coming home with a Club 100 Sport. No regrets...lol!

It doesn't half shift either, makes a change from the Jazz I was bumbling around in before and reminds me in a way of my Old Mini GP (do miss that car a hell of a lot)

Comment

Oh nice!!

So let the new plans commence!
                          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Working...
                          X