Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching in a DS3!

Hi all

I have been using a DS3 White 1.6HDi since March to instruct people to drive. I'm self-employed, so had the opportunity to choose whatever car I liked, and the DS3 fit the bill very well.

For me, the car is important as it can attract new pupils by being what it is. The DS3 has been the reason that several new pupils have come to me it's so different and more exciting than what my competitors use (Clio, old-shape Fiesta - boooooring!) 17-year olds love it because it looks sporty, which is backed up by the sports seats fitted inside!

I've now done over 12,000 miles (in just over 4 months!) and not a single thing has gone wrong, or fallen off. There are no creaks, groans or rattles inside and the mats prevent any signs of ageing to the carpet.

The good bits:
    Good economy - on lessons, between 48 and 53mpg - up to 58mpg on a motorway run. Lovely driving position - I'm in it all day, and get out without any aches or pains (well, I'm now 53!). Very light steering around town, which is great for pupils. Road-holding is superb (although my pupils don't know this!) Low-rev performance is very good (good torque) which I was not expecting with a diesel.

The bad bits:
    The power socket is in an awkward position - I have to have a GPS speedo on my side of the dash and the wire gets in the way. Having the MP3 plugged in and charging at the same time is a pain.... Visibilityto the rear/side is a bit restricted when teaching a parallel park. New pupils get into difficulty with the indicator stalk if they have to cancel the indicators - they often put the opposite side on the 3-flash mode by mistake, then go back again....and back.

Would I buy another one - a resounding yes. I'm already thinking about the colour combo!

Cheers. Trevor

Just a thought. I don't know if you have parking sensors but would they be allowed on a test? Have any of your students turned on cruise control instead of indicatiing? I have done this a couple of times.

Comment

Nice right up Trevor about time we had an instructor write something....Regarding the power socket other members have posted how to guides on installing a power socket for ease of access...Hope this helps.

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...ghlight=cables

Comment

Welcome !

Comment

Yes, parking sensors would be allowed on a test, simply because you won't be in a situation where they will come into operation on a test. For example, the reverse parallel park is not done into a space between 2 cars, it's done against an empty kerb behind a parked car. Bay parking spots are usually set up without a wall at the back (or anything else to hit!)

With regard to the cruise control switch, I have it switched off on lessons. Yes, a couple of new pupils have tried to put the indicators on with the control instead of the idicator stalk! Mind you, pupils do some strange things generally, believe me!
          Last edited by Big TC; 12-08-2011, 18:01.

Comment

Great write up and an encouraging post with regards to reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
              about time we had an instructor write something....
              Cheeky bugger Clarky, lol

Big TC i'm assuming like me you got your car from Robinsons as it didn't com with the He-man HUD supplied by Citroen. If you did are they still putting useless stickers on the speedo?. As for Vis on the manouveres i've never had a problem and noone yet has put the cruise on. They're too worried i'll kill them for scratching my alloys, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ds3adi View Post
                Big TC i'm assuming like me you got your car from Robinsons as it didn't com with the He-man HUD supplied by Citroen. If you did are they still putting useless stickers on the speedo?. As for Vis on the manouveres i've never had a problem and noone yet has put the cruise on. They're too worried i'll kill them for scratching my alloys, lol.
                No, Robinson's weren't the supplier. I have mine on HP and the dual-controls and GPS speedo were supplied FOC by Citroen. No useless stickers on the speedo (?).
                No-one has put the cruise on on a lesson, because as I said its always turned off whilst I'm teaching.
                Parallel park is the only manouvre that gives slight visibility problems, but once its explained clearlt pupils usually get the hang of it faily quickly.

Comment

Working...
                X