Clicking on idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking on idle

Only just joined and I'm after a bit of advice, I've read posts but they don't really answer my problem, I've had my ds3 1.6 vti 61 plate since November last year, it had 61k on the clock it now has 64k, it's always done a fast clicking noise at low speed whilst turning but this weekend I've noticed a loud knocking sound whilst idle, it started on Saturday after a 70+mile drive so it wasn't cold, it's been doing it since, hoping it's nothing serious, my oil warning notification comes on about once a fortnight and when I check the level it's always OK, I top up with 5w 30 and it goes off, however Saturday I used different oil, castrol 5w 30 start up and stop protection oil, just wondering if this is the cause of the knocking or if I've ruined my engine? Any help would be great

Hi- welcome to the Club

Engines are not my area of interest to be fair, so long as that's where the ticking is coming from

Timing belt/chain is left hand side of the engine (AFAIK) is noise coming from there
    If not, where is noise coming from?

OIL: Oil pressure and oil level are 2 different things?
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thanks for the reply, from a quick look I'd say it's defo coming from the left side of the engine, the wheel and belt nearest to the back of the engine seems the likely culprit.

The oil thing I was referring to was that I'd used a different oil and was hoping I'd not caused unwanted damage to the engine

Comment

Originally posted by Toffeeman80 View Post

The oil thing I was referring to was that I'd used a different oil and was hoping I'd not caused unwanted damage to the engine
        Doubtful, but if you are worried, drain, and replace- its easy enough if you are able

Oil is mainly viscosity as fair as I know (How thick it is) so adding a little shouldn't hurt

its not a stone stuck in the tyre is it?

sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post

its not a stone stuck in the tyre is it?
          just a stupid comment from me.... title of thread is "Clicking on idle" which means the car isn't moving (Facepalms)

sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Certain it's the timing belt/pulleys, just had a good look at it and the clicking gets faster when the engine is revved, now I have also noticed that when the engine starts it does the click sound for about 30 secs then stops, then once the engine has been running for about 5 mins it starts again, now I need to know 2 things, is it safe to drive it and has anyone had it done? Just wondering on an idea of cost

Comment

Also another update, the car sounds like a tractor, lots of people are commenting about it, a mechanic friend at work says it sounds like I have no oil pressure, yesterday I replaced the oil and it's just as bad, a bloke at the petrol station says it sounds like tappets, now its time to go the garage. Without starting another thread does anyone have the clicking noise when you steer at low speed? (thing I've bought a pig to be fair)

Comment

Working...
              X