New DS3 SpoTHP Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DS3 SpoTHP Owner

Should be picking up me new (to me) '60 plate DS3 sport THP 150 in the morning

Thorium Grey with a Black roof, followed by a substancial acclimatisation drive over the weekend when I drive it over to complete the sale of our property in Brittany.

I guess I'm looking forward to saving some money on fuel bills, but if I'm honest I'm a bit worried that the car might be a bit under powered for me, despite what I read about them being quite nippy. I couldn't afford the DSR and wasn't keen on the graphics on them either.

The new job includes a bit more travelling, so I had to sell my Mercedes C32 AMG to buy something more economical, but still wanted something with some smiles.

Hi Treganin- welcome to the club
    Think it should be good for you- but if not, a remap will make it more like a rocket than ever
    And circa 40mpg too
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

It will of course feel down on power but the extra fun you will have in the twisties will make up for the lack of grunt. it's not underpowered by any means, it's more than enough for everyday driving.

I came from a civic type r which is no slouch and I haven't found the drop in power an issue of course the civic is nothing compared to the c32....

Comment

Good to know, Thanks Guys.

As you say though Lee - from 350bhp to 150 ish is a big step!

Comment

Welcome to the club
          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

If you do consider a remap have a chat with forum member Jamie at SP Tuning, he did my diesel eHDI 110 last week and has made my DS3 even better to drive
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Treganin View Post
              The new job includes a bit more travelling, so I had to sell my Mercedes C32 AMG to buy something more economical, but still wanted something with some smiles.
              Welcome!

I had one of those too. Comfortable, fast, great seats but always broke and the worst service here in Germany ugh will never get another Merc. Much happier with the DS
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

What you think Treganin?
                Just moving from a 150 to a 155 me. No problem at all with the 150- just wanted the newer spec to play with :redface:
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Have to say that I'm quite impressed!

Time will tell, as I said I have a marathon drive planned this week-end. Cambridge to Southamton and then to Portsmouth on Saturday, then Le Havre to Southern Brittany on Sunday morning and finally all the way home on Wednesday (with a trailer behind). So it'll be interesting to see how it handles the motorways and then towing a trailer etc.

Biggest difference I can tell at the moment seems to be because of the shorter wheel-base, it feels like it 'kicks-up' at the back on the bumpy fen roads, whiich the C class didn't do, but the steering is definately sharper. Throttle response is crisp and the car feels as least as responsive as the Merc (it is much lighter of course)

Inside is, to be honest, a little more basic than the Merc, but it's just a comfortable!

Comment

Nice one Treganin- time will tell
                    Not surprised the DS3 interior doesnt beat a Merc LOL
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                      Nice one Treganin- time will tell
                      Not surprised the DS3 interior doesnt beat a Merc LOL
                      You kow what though - the difference isn't as great as you might think.

I'm not a big fan of leather seats in general anyway - too cold in winter, too hot in summer and generally too slippery- so the fabric in mine is great for me. I don't know if my seats are standard, but they offer a lot of support and everything is well placed. Sure the Merc is better equipped, but how many toys do you need?

Comment

So, We're back from our 1200mile jaunt to Brittany and I continue to be impressed!

The drive down was fairly uneventful and, whilst the DS3 is clearly not a motorway car, it remained comfortable, great acceleration when you need it to overtake slower traffic on the autoroutes, it was returning mpg's in the high forties, no excessive wind or road noise......so all round pretty good.

However, clearly the ancestral home of these cars is the back roads of France. Once we left the quatre voie and openned it up on the Breton roads the car came alive! It was a true Jekyll and Hyde moment....... The car transformed and I suddenly became Sebastien Loeb!!!! Grip, Acceleration, poise, sharp steering and magnificient braking, smiles - All there in spade fulls.

When the time came to mount the trailer on the back I was a little dubious as to how she would handle it, but once again she coped admirably. The trailer was a quite large one (around 3m long and 1.4m wide) and was quite heavy so I was expecting the car to struggle a little, but she ran straight and true - even at higher speeds. I saw 110kph at one point (we were running a little late) and it still felt like there was more to give. The mpg dropped down to around 39, which I thought was great all things considered.

I only saw one other DS3 on the way down to the port in the UK (Bright Pink One, with a white roof I think) and I'd expected to see more of these cars in France, but french mates report that they didn't sell well over there as they seem to prefer a 4 door car - Their loss I think.

So, All in all - Do I miss the Merc? Not so much anymore. How do I feel about the DS3? Do you really still need to ask??

Now, where's the number for the guy that chips them, Jamie isn't it? Hummmm - Maybe?????

Comment

How you mean "clearly not a motorway car" Treg?
                          Mine seems fine with great acceleration, views all round and with the DRLs they can see you coming
                          Steering gets a bit light at 69mph+
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                            Steering gets a bit light at 69mph+
                            Can't say I've ever noticed that as an issue. Have you got a pig in the boot of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by gar074 View Post
                              Can't say I've ever noticed that as an issue. Have you got a pig in the boot of yours?
                              Depends how fast you go GAR i spose
                              Ask Cyclone what he thinks when he's on those Autobahns- his opinion is stronger than mine
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X