Winter tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter tyres

4 uniroyal ms plus winter tyres only on car for six months last year on previous car seat leon £200 ish £250 with 2 hardly worn khumo estra tyres size 205/55/16
    Also boot liner with carpet mat & set of fitted floor mats for seat leon mk2 like new £50 all in
    Last edited by Markymark; 08-12-2014, 16:10.

Ok just got my winters put onto my spare alloys , fitter went to put them onto car and the fronts catching the caliber , so need spacers , noticed the front calipers are bigger than the back didn't notice till I left garage , I know unless you see them , what size spacer ? He wasn't very helpful , do I now need longer bolts ?Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	359097

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperkev View Post
      Ok just got my winters put onto my spare alloys , fitter went to put them onto car and the fronts catching the caliber , so need spacers , noticed the front calipers are bigger than the back didn't notice till I left garage , I know unless you see them , what size spacer ? He wasn't very helpful , do I now need longer bolts ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]10257[/ATTACH]
      I doubt if spacers & longer bolts will help, as you need to increase clearance radially, not laterally. However, looking at your picture I suspect it may be the balance weights that are causing the problem - I've had that on a couple of cars. Is there a continuous scraping noise when you turn the wheel, or is it intermittent? If it's the latter, if you take the wheel off you may see traces of lead on the caliper which will confirm that it's the weights that are catching. If that's the case the solution is to either reposition the weights or to use thinner weights - on my Alfa 145 we made thinner weights by hammering them on the bench before fitting.

If it's scraping for the full circumference you may have to accept that the wheels aren't suitable for you car!

Comment

He couldn't got the wheel on as the caliber was catching as he was trying to get it to sit on the hub

Comment

Looks like you're going to have to invest in some new wheels, then!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Looks like you're going to have to invest in some new wheels, then!
            would a spacer not bring them forward so they missed the caliper ?

Comment

Bolts have to protrude thru the inside wheel faceplate by 19mm
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

You can get longer bolts?

Comment

Ok just got my winters put onto my spare alloys , fitter went to put them onto car and the fronts catching the caliber , so need spacers , noticed the front calipers are bigger than the back didn't notice till I left garage , I know unless you see them , what size spacer ? He wasn't very helpful , do I now need longer bolts ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]10257[/ATTACH]
                  Is the caliper hitting the inside of the wheel face or around the circumference. Dave covered it if it is a circumference issue. If hitting the face what are the specs on the rims size, offset. from that can find out what size spacer you would need to get the rim back to where the factory ones would sit. As Chris said need longer bolts with those spacers. If your wheel place was unhelpful go to a different one. This is basic stuff for a wheel shop and if he couldn't help probably wouldn't want him putting your tires on anyway.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

would a spacer not bring them forward so they missed the caliper ?
                    If they are fouling on the front face, yes . . .

. . . I assumed it was on the circumference as it's a problem I've previously had! Oops!

Comment

You can get longer bolts?
                      Yes- get quality ones tho.
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                        Yes- get quality ones tho.
                        thanks will look into it

Comment

thanks will look into it
                          You might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone
                          There are spacers (Come with bolts) you can buy, that bolt to the wheel hub, then your wheel and the bolts associated with the wheel, bolt to the spacer.

Other spacers, longer bolts go through the spacer and fix onto the hub, so therefore the longer bolts are standard length, plus the extra for whatever spacer you buy. But then you are having to buy longer bolts than standard, which are more expensive. When you start looking at 16 bolts and/or a locking nut (Which I don't bother with on aftermarket wheels) it can start getting expensive

Both methods I was told, are as safe as each other

But beyond all- be safe
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yeah have seen those thanks

Comment

Is it too early to take my winter wheels off, and put my Summers on?
                              What you think- anyone still got theirs on
                              Didn't wanna start new thread
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X