Locking nut key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking nut key

Hi Guys, thought I would share this one with you. Two weeks ago whilst having new tyers fitted to my DS3 Racing after just 14,000 miles, but that's another thing that's making me very unhappy. The tyre fitter came to see me with the locking nut key/socket and told me that one of the pins inside the socket had snapped off. He managed to get the wheels off and the new tyers fitted. I went to my local Citroen dealer later that day and they had to order one for me. I explained that this was the first occasion that the socket key had been used, the dealer said he had never known one to break before! He told me that I was fortunate that I had kept the original plastic bag the socket came in containing the barcode and serial number as it would have been very expensive to replace. Two days ago my car had a major service and MOT, I also collected my new key socket, the price I hear you ask...... £45!!!!!! How can they possibly justify that sort of cost. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by rossfergie; 11-07-2015, 16:41.

First time i needed mine, it wasn't there. The (now out of business) dealer was pathetic so i went to another (Toomey Basildon) who hunted high and low for a spare direct replacement but in the end had to order one (couldn't find one with the same pin arrangement), was about the same price you paid.

Comment

They told me it would be over £80 had I not had the ref number and bar code. I just can't get my head around the price!

Comment

Sounds about right. The Citroen ones are notoriously bad, should have just gotten something else instead.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Does anyone still nick wheels anymore- think they break into your gaff and nick the keys and whole car don't they

Just buy a standard wheel bolt seems best practice
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

The locking key on my Astra broke years ago and I had to take it to the Vauxhall dealer for them to remove it, once they got it off I did as Chris suggested (almost) and refitted the spare chrome nuts it came with and never had any issues. From memory Vauxhall wanted at least £40 approx 5 years ago !
            sigpic

Comment

I paid £75 for a new lock nut key from Citroen as the pins rounded on me the first time I had to take front wheels off.
              Eventually got lock nuts off with new key but never put back on.
              Didn't want that hassle ever again.
              My brother had the C4 & he had same problem so all in all Citroen's lock nuts are not the most reliable ones to have as the parts guy I spoke to about mine said he had loads having the same problem.
              I still have the lock nuts & 2 keys in the garage
              http://www.ds3club.co.uk/attachment....4&d=1420569803
              :rolleyes: Too Good For Heaven & Too Bad For Hell :mad:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X