No announcement yet.

Auto glym lifeshine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, one of my hobbies is detailing, so I'm biased, but I would NOT recommend these products. They are ok-ish if applied correctly, but some need a long time between the coats. Dealers dont have that time commerncially and tend to throw them on. They are high margin products for them. The point on swirls again is down to application. However, the dealer can inflict swirls in the prep and then 'seal them in' with these products. There's no magic formula products that keep your car clean forever - even if these products work, you can inflict swirls into the products with poor wash technique.
    In terms of holograms that you see on a lot of cars, it is down to bad machine technique. Again because of rushing in workshops and people not finishing down properly. I would never spend less than about ten hours machine polishing a car for 'one pass', double for two etc if chasing relative perfection...

I'll stop now, I need to avoid this section as there's a whole forum dedicated to detailing so I shouldn't be thinking of it here! Sorry!

Regards,
    Clive.
    Last edited by CliveP; 01-07-2011, 21:19.
    CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
    DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

No Clive Your Knowledge Is More Than Welcome !!!

Comment

Most of the dealer stuff is rubbish and yes from what I have seen then hardly get treated and just throw the kit in the boot, fill the forms in and take your cash.
        Best way is if you do buy this stuff is to call the company who supply it and say that you think they have not applied it. They will check it for you as they don't like their product abused or have a bad name.

If however you do get it done then I can guarentee that the only one proven to work well is superguard, reason being is it is the only approved polymer based protection on the market and also the only one with 25 manufacturers that recomend it.
        Again though you need to have this done properly and not blagged off by the dealer that dosent have time to apply it properly.

I have used all sorts of polish and wax over the years and doing the job properly with a good wax regularly does the trick. If you dont have time use a product like supaguard as it does make a difference applied properly.
        Green Vehicle Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
          OK, one of my hobbies is detailing, so I'm biased, but I would NOT recommend these products. They are ok-ish if applied correctly, but some need a long time between the coats. Dealers dont have that time commerncially and tend to throw them on. They are high margin products for them. The point on swirls again is down to application. However, the dealer can inflict swirls in the prep and then 'seal them in' with these products. There's no magic formula products that keep your car clean forever - even if these products work, you can inflict swirls into the products with poor wash technique.
          In terms of holograms that you see on a lot of cars, it is down to bad machine technique. Again because of rushing in workshops and people not finishing down properly. I would never spend less than about ten hours machine polishing a car for 'one pass', double for two etc if chasing relative perfection...

I'll stop now, I need to avoid this section as there's a whole forum dedicated to detailing so I shouldn't be thinking of it here! Sorry!

Regards,
          Clive.

Im Sorry but did i read correct you spend at least 10 hours machine polishing a car don't get me wrong but that would be classed as OCD
          E HDI 90 White black roof....called free willy.....Because it looks like a Killer Whale .... Now gone to a better place march 2012 to March 2014
          Dstyle+ E Hdi 90 Sport Red Black roof .......The Red Barron ....

Comment

Originally posted by Tony DS3 View Post
            Im Sorry but did i read correct you spend at least 10 hours machine polishing a car don't get me wrong but that would be classed as OCD
            Nothing wrong with that!

Comment

tony there is a different between cleaning a car and detailing a car
              cleaning a car is done in 2 hours
              detailing a car can take between 8 till 10 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Tony DS3 View Post
                Hi Tony, 10 hours is quite light for a machine polish for me - yes it is OCD and I'm happy with it! People offer me big money for that OCD, but it's not what I do for a living it is just a hobby for me....

Seriously it's a top level hobby for me, OCD (Obessive Car Detailer!) and yes, OCD for real!, but I love the fact you can see the merits of your labour - it's a tangible result, what I do for a living you can't physically see the result, so I theorise one of the benefits to me of detailing is being able to see the results!

By the way you only machine polish a car very rarely....once it is prepared and polished properly as long as swirl marks are not re-introduced (sponges and chamois leathers on the whole put swirl marks on a car) then it rarely needs doing again....and I can return my car to it's full glory in an hour or two...

Regards,
                Clive.
                CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
                DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

My other half through't i was of my head when she saw me cleaning and polishing the insides of the wheels iv'e never done it before but before i had my DS3 i drove a Transit van
                  E HDI 90 White black roof....called free willy.....Because it looks like a Killer Whale .... Now gone to a better place march 2012 to March 2014
                  Dstyle+ E Hdi 90 Sport Red Black roof .......The Red Barron ....

Comment

Working...
                  X