No announcement yet.

Collinite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U will know were this stuff is still on the paint because the rest will be gleaming !!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Probert993 View Post
      U will know were this stuff is still on the paint because the rest will be gleaming !!!! :-)
      It's more for where I've applied it when putting the stuff on rather than if I've left any when polishing off.
      DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Folks, don't confuse a polish and a wax.

SRP is a filler-heavy, but light cut polish, leaving some short term wax type protection (it's a bit of an all in one)

Colinite is a wax, pure and simple, and should be applied to properly prepped surface (i.e. polished).

In fact SRP followed by Colinite works very well, as an example.

Colinite 915 has most depth of the Colinite waxes and has incredible durability. I always have it amoung my wax collection, tend to use it on other people's cars.

Nothing will beat machine prepped paintwork taken to a level of clarity (i.e. no swirls followed by a decent wax).

Of course never use a sponge or leather on your paintwork if you want to keep it as swirl free as possible, swirls rob your car of shine.

For those of you who might not know I'm a keen detailer (hobby not for a living).

Have a mini-meet set up for next weekend, details in the meet section, or by all means ask me at Donnington tomorrow.

Best Regards,
        Clive.
        Last edited by CliveP; 17-09-2011, 21:50.
        CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
        DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

So Is it a priority to wax before use of collinite ? Thought u could just prepare paint with a paint cleaner then use the collinite ? Will it ruin paint if not waxed first ??

Comment

Originally posted by Probert993 View Post
            So Is it a priority to wax before use of collinite ? Thought u could just prepare paint with a paint cleaner then use the collinite ? Will it ruin paint if not waxed first ??
            Colinite is a wax.

You can just use a paint cleaner if you want then follow with Colinite (but you won't have polished it). Technically this is fine, just polishing removes blemishes (massive subject), but there's no reason why you can't just use a paint cleanser before Colinite.

However, paint cleanser, a light polish like Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then a coat of Colinite will give you better results.

Regards,
            Clive.

Comment

well, went home after work yeaterday, washed the ds and applied collinite for the 1st time, and very pleased!! cheers for recommending!!:cool:
              Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petewete View Post
                well, went home after work yeaterday, washed the ds and applied collinite for the 1st time, and very pleased!! cheers for recommending!!:cool:
                Looks even better with another coat or two applied!

Stef
                2 X Citroen DS3 Racings - Both rejected

Comment

think the other half might break my arms if i spend another night on it.....
                  Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

So, collinite 840 for prepping, super resin polish and then Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance as a wax is what you recomend Clive?
                    Might give it a go this weekend, if i find the time.

Comment

just bought some 915. £27 with 3 microfibre clothes and applicator... seems okay price and a dodo juice drying towel. Cant wait to use.
                      DS3 120VTi Black + White

Comment

Originally posted by DS3Finland View Post
                        So, collinite 840 for prepping, super resin polish and then Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance as a wax is what you recomend Clive?
                        Might give it a go this weekend, if i find the time.
                        Hi, I've not used 840 so not sure on it for prepping, but SRP will be fine for prepping (by hand, better by machine though), then 915 will be great!

Originally posted by PlymTom View Post
                        just bought some 915. £27 with 3 microfibre clothes and applicator... seems okay price and a dodo juice drying towel. Cant wait to use.
                        Good stuff Tom, make sure the mf are super soft - and remember you want the thinnest possible layer of 915 - a tin should be capable of 80 - 100 coats as a guide (in fact 120 on a car the size of a DS3!), that's how thin you need to spread it - think of it like a sky scraper - if you put that thickness on, you just buff it off to the ground floor! So you need very little, you shoulld only just be able to see it on the paint when you apply it! And 915 can set like stone, so do say two panels (as it's colder now then it will take slightly longer to go hard, do the 'swipe' test (run finger gently through the wax, and if it all comes off then ready to buff, if it smears leave it another min then try again).....

Hope that helps!
                        Regards,
                        Clive.

Comment

Thanks a lot Clive. A bit new to waxing so thanks for the advice. Love cleaning my car, turning into a weekly thing. Does the Collinite last to about 6 months? Can't wait, next weekend will be doing it. Will post some pictures up.
                          DS3 120VTi Black + White

Comment

Tom,

Colinite will last forever, but if you love it and catch the OCD bug, you won't want to wait anywhere near that time to top it or put a different wax on. Colinite is a great 'winter wax' for the person who doesn't want to wash their car week in week out whatever the weather (I still do mine every week all through winter unless it really is bad (i.e. water frozen!)....Colinite will last through it all....if it doesnt bead, it's because the dirt is on top of the wax, the wax is still there - one quick 2BM wash and it will bead again without re-applying as Colinite is bullet-proof (designed for Canadian winters!)....

Just make sure you use the 2BM for washing and dry with a soft drying towel to minimise those swirls....don't ever let a sponge or a chamois near it, ever!

Regards,
                            Clive.
                            Last edited by CliveP; 08-10-2011, 21:11.

Comment

Always use the 2BM. Wont let any family try and attempt to clean the car because I know they will just use a skanky sponge.
                              They can maybe hoover it, but thats about it. I dont think much can go wrong with hoovering ^^.
                              The Collinite arrived today, super quick delivery. It smells funky too, hope I dont get high :P
                              DS3 120VTi Black + White

Comment

Tom, Good man!

Wait till try some waxes like Autobrite Distinction, it smells divine! But I only reserve it for cars I've machined.....

Shame you're so far away, otherwise I'd give you a hand with it.

Regards,
                                Clive.

Comment

Working...
                                X