Excessive Oil Consumption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SLC View Post
    Never really suffered from oil consumption and I've never understood the issue with the dipstick. I pull it out, clean it, check there is oil there and put it back in.

What is wrong with it?
    That the oil level is hard to gauge because of the coil formed dipstick. When the oil is clean it is even harder. Such a stupid design.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      That the oil level is hard to gauge because of the coil formed dipstick. When the oil is clean it is even harder. Such a stupid design.
      Exactly, maybe not all the DS3s have the same design of dipstick but those of us that have the same as Cyclone mentions above will know. Dirty oil isn't so hard to see but trying to judge after an oil change is a nightmare, I'm sure the coil is exactly the same colour as freshly poured oil.

Comment

Ok, mine has two shiny baubles with an arrow-shaped bit at the end.

If there is only oil on the lower bauble it's not so good. If there is oil on the upper bauble, it's all ok. I agree that it's hard to tell if there is oil on the coiled bit in-between.

It looks a bit like this but I'm not at home at the moment, so this is not my car's dipstick:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	360066
        Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport (Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof).
        2014 208 GTi (Calado Blue).

Comment

Mine's one of these; Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	360067not too bad, but I don't know why they don't just use a flat metal strip - easy to read & cheap to manufacture.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Mine's one of these; [ATTACH=CONFIG]12266[/ATTACH]not too bad, but I don't know why they don't just use a flat metal strip - easy to read & cheap to manufacture.
            I know there have been cases of the plastic bit getting broken off & stuck in the tube so can't get a reading as for reading the metal ones all you have to do is touch it see if it's wet or not

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
              all you have to do is touch it see if it's wet or not
              Waheey!
              - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
              - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Lol
                sigpic

Comment

Car went into main dealer today. Picking it up tomorrow and will report back!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    Car went into main dealer today. Picking it up tomorrow and will report back!
                    Inconclusive, I am afraid.
                    Engine management software update carried out, no obvious leaks or other problems. They have topped the oil level up to the upper 'Bauble' and request that we keep a note of if and when we need to top it up over the next 600 miles. Have to bring car in when we have covered a further 600 miles.

Comment

Working...
                    X