DSport+ Petrol or Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSport+ Petrol or Diesel

I'm pretty much decided on buying a white DS3 DSport+ in the next month or so. The only thing I can't decide is whether to go for THP or HDi, I'm currently trying to get test drives in both of these to make my own opinion. Everyone is telling me not to even consider petrol due to all the money savings from a diesel, but I can't help but want a petrol (Power/Power Delivery/Sound/Throttle response/etc) and with only doing 10k miles a year I don't think it will cost too much more, as well as having an extra £750 off from Citroen when buying through elect 3.

I would just like the opinion of current owners of both engines.General opinions of the engines? Do HDi owners wish they had gone for a THP, or the other way round? What sort of mpg do you get (short journeys/long journeys/average)?

Thanks

remember the diesel has cheaper road tax in theory the diesel should last longer than petrol. it will have more torque. but it all depends what you want out the car, i plan on buying one next year and depending on the deals to be had at the time think were going to go for diesel.

Comment

I tried both before I bought my THP - there is no contest imo for the all-round fun-factor - but the HDi also has its supporters on here.

It's not too difficult to work out the extra cost of buying and running a petrol over a diesel - and based on your mileage, it shouldn't be that much, in the great scheme of things.

So do Citroen give an extra £750 off for the THP over the HDi? That would probably clinch it for me, if I were still in two minds.

Comment

yeh they do this month dunno if the deals change every month

Comment

i went for a dsport diesel it drive s amazingly cant wait to get it i think the savings on the diesel clinched it for me

Comment

they offered me the world to get it on elect 3 £750 off the price too but had cash and wanted to own the car outright so i can change more frequently as i choose, i got the 3 years servicing offer thrown in though saves me a fortune!

Comment

Thanks for the opinions, not really too bothered about the cost savings IF the petrol is much more fun to drive, so I suppose I will have to try them both to make up my mind.

I currently drive an 05 Ford Fiesta Zetec S1.6 TDCi which I believe has an engine heavily related to the PSA 1.6HDi so I'm expecting that to feel quite similar.

One more question, as it really annoys me about the fiesta as 75mph = 3000rpm (high for a diesel and effects fuel economy), roughly what rpm do these engines sit at on the motorway (~70-80mph)?

Comment

I'd get the diesel personally, as I think the increased torque will make it more enjoyable to drive and get 20mpg more roughly. I drove the 110hdi and was really impressed by the pull it had. Never gonna beat the petrol off the line though, but might give it a very good go on the twisty stuff.

We've just taken delivery of ours (not the 110hdi) and it sits at about 2,500rpm at 75ish on the motorway.

Comment

70 is about 2k rpm in the diesel Dsport in 6th gear
                  I couldn't fix yer brakes so I made your horn louder!

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Hogg View Post
                    and get 20mpg more roughly
                    I easily get 40+ from the THP and I don't spare the horses, so I doubt whether the HDi will give you an extra 20mpg in everyday driving.

Comment

I went for the Diesel, I dont drive like a nun and I can get over 60 mpg on a run, and average over 50 mpg on a typical tank full, I do a lot of long Continental trips (Rome next week) and with the cruise control set at 80 on the Motorway it will still return 55mpg
                      Last edited by Frankj; 21-05-2011, 15:56.

Comment

damnn ... i got thp amazin car but i never got above 37 out of it even drivin like a 90 yr old. average i get 24 lol must be me. as others have sed diesel if u want to save money and it is a very good car i was close to gettin one but ended up with thp which tears up tarmac perfectly for me difficult choice i no good luck

Comment

Originally posted by mattds3sport View Post
                          average i get 24 lol must be me
                          24?!! Jesus wept! Are you sure you aren't towing a supertanker?

Comment

lol i only drive 4 mile to work and thn 4 mile home so i think tht mite hav summat to do to it but wen i worked 15 mile away 30 mile a day i was gettin 35 - 37 so it werent to bad

Comment

I ruddy hope I get more than 24 out of my THP when it arrives! My fiesta typically does 35 arund town and around 43 on motorways. If it matches that when it gets here (hopefully this week!) then I'll be happy, any extra is a bonus!

Comment

Working...
                              X