Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres/Puncture Repair

Hello everyone.

I am interested to know who has settled for the standard puncture repair kit you get with the DS3, and how that has worked out if anyones had to use it? Or if you got the space saver/full size spare wheel and how much you paid? I phoned the dealer today to get prices as I'm not confident in relying on a puncture repair kit, especially with my track record with tyres and them not being the cheapest around for the 17" Bellones. I got a puncture the day after I passed my driving test, and my track record hasn't improved much since then, not helped by working in the contruction industry and driving on farm roads. It has punctures and tyre replacement high on my priority list to think about. :confused:
    June 2011 - Present: Citroen DS3 D Style+ 1.6 120 (11) 3dr - Belle Ile Blue/Onyx Black
    September 2009 - June 2011: Citroen C1 1.0 VTR (59) 3dr - Black
    March 2007 - September 2009: Citroen C1 1.0 Rhythm (07) 3dr - Sunshine Yellow
    June 2006 - March 2007: Citroen Saxo 1.1i SX (99) 3dr - Black

My advice would be to pay the extra £50 and swap the repair kit for a spare wheel. I bought an ex-demo car that came with the pump and the canister of goo, and while it's been useful now & then to have the pump (it makes checking tyre pressures really easy, and inflating the air mattress is a cinch), if you get a puncture that's not repairable - eg a tear - you're stuck.

I bought a spare off eBay - much cheaper than buying one as an after-fit accessory from your dealer - but you've got to be careful to buy one that's the right size.

If you're driving on building sites and on farm tracks, I'd get a spare without hesitation - I drive down an unmade farm track most days, and punctures are a regular occurrence.

Oh, and if you repair a puncture using the canister of goo, it's only temporary fix, and some tyre repair places will refuse to mend the tyre and you'll have to shell out for a new one.
    Last edited by gar074; 13-06-2011, 20:24.

Comment

Yea, I thought as much, I'll see what the dealer comes back with, and keep my eyes peeled on ebay as well. Thank you.
      June 2011 - Present: Citroen DS3 D Style+ 1.6 120 (11) 3dr - Belle Ile Blue/Onyx Black

Comment

Yup if you use the foam you have to get a new tyre anyway!

It's shit. If it's a puncture your better off blowing it back up and getting to a garage.
        sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
        Third time around.
        Work in Progress

Comment

Yea I'd always rather repair than replace if I can, and like you say, that option is gone with the goo.

Comment

I complained saying it's stupid that the car doesn't come with a spare wheel, every car I've ever had/seen had a spare wheel so why not this? Supposedly because it's not a legal requirement they save the cash and don't do it for free, however, my complaint got it chucked in, saved me £75 as I wouldn't have gone without it.
            DSport HDi 110 in Belle Ile Blue/Onyx Black

Comment

lol i got given that shit in my astra VXR -.- wasnt pleased when my tyre burst!
              sigpic.

Third time around.
              Work in Progress

Comment

Might just have to flirt with the salesman more, already worked for a few things just got to work it a bit harder maybe, lol.

Comment

ask for 2 and send one my way.. with the jack and kit xD
                  sigpic.

Third time around.
                  Work in Progress

Comment

I'll do my best Haha.

Comment

Spare Wheel FTW !

Comment

just shredded a tyre in Scottish highlands and had to wait 3 hours for a recovery truck as no spare! BEWARE as either the tyre decintigrated quickly as I stopped from 60mph OR I had unknowingly been running on it flat - It was a rear tyre and I suspect the latter. Previously I have always detected a tyre puncture with feedback through the steering but there was NO INDICATION.
                        The lesson to be has is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPARE WHEEL!
                        PS. I have made a note NEVER to go to Kwik Save again as regardless of the advertised 25% discount the replacement tyre cost was extortionate!

Comment

lol I think the lesson there is... check your wheels!
                          sigpic.

Third time around.
                          Work in Progress

Comment

This spare thing is a pain! As part of my Elect 3 finance I get AA breakdown cover but if you read the small print it says that you cant call them if you have a puncture! So the repair kit may not be any use if I had a blowout. Mums complained to Citroen and the AA and they dont want to know. But its not my fault that I was given (or even offered) a spare tire. I think I'll be sticking with my RAC cover
                            Blue/Black DS3 120 VTI DStyle + :eek::redface::eek: And loving it!

sigpic Just Chillin'

Comment

Originally posted by Richardhycott View Post
                              BEWARE as either the tyre decintigrated quickly as I stopped from 60mph OR I had unknowingly been running on it flat - It was a rear tyre and I suspect the latter.
                              Almost certainly the latter - the Potenzas have very stiff side-walls. I had a slow puncture in the rear of one of mine, and the only way I could tell that it was down on pressure was via the pressure gauge - it looked fine even when the pressure was barely registering on the gauge. However when I tried to get it repaired, they refused to plug the hole because there was damage on the inside due to it having been run flat. You may unwittingly have been driving on a flat tyre for ages...

Comment

Working...
                              X