No announcement yet.

Hill start assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could always slightly release your foot from the clutch with the car in gear, that will hold it in place... (so long as it's not reverse that you're in)

Comment

Originally posted by PX54 View Post
      you could always slightly release your foot from the clutch with the car in gear, that will hold it in place... (so long as it's not reverse that you're in)
      That's also a great way to shorten the life of your clutch!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        That's also a great way to shorten the life of your clutch!
        Well if people insist on not using their handbrake for some reason why should they care how long their clutch lasts either...

p.s. i use the handbrake

Comment

All this chat about hill, handbrakes and clutches reminded me of this little gem

...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I had an Alfa Mito before my DS, and it was manual and it deff had hill start assist, lot of manuals do. I wonder why they don't put it on the DS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BAG View Post
              I had an Alfa Mito before my DS, and it was manual and it deff had hill start assist, lot of manuals do. I wonder why they don't put it on the DS.
              Because using the handbrake is easy?

I'm very against all these modern tech/mechanical aids to driving, disengages the driver. Except auto lights. Love my auto lights.
              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

New C3 has it, but unless you're learning to drive on it it's really not something you notice. Given I swap between 2 cars regularly one with it and one without I'm in the habit of not putting the car in a position to roll backwards.
                Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Funny reading through this thread, I have a '14 1.6 HDI and thought it had hill start too, I guess I'm just quick at moving from the brake to the accelerator lol.
                  Brian's Owner

Comment

I have hill start assist on mine, my left foot and the handbrake

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

DStort
                    DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                      Because using the handbrake is easy?

I'm very against all these modern tech/mechanical aids to driving, disengages the driver. Except auto lights. Love my auto lights.
                      It is and it took me about three months to get used to it on the Mito (by the way the VTi 120 is a much nicer car to drive than the Mito 105), but once I was the place it really came into it own was anytime you are in slow moving traffic on a steep hill then it is really cool, the rest of the time it can actually slow you down. Had a few early occasions when I was of the break and on the loud pedal before it had come off and ended up dragging the back end about a foot before the rear wheels could turn.

Comment

Purposely tried the hill start assist tonight.. bloody useless for some very simple reasons. First you have to brake firmly to get it to activate which if you're in an uphill queue limits the usefulness. Second it holds the car for 2 seconds..regardless of if you've started picking up the clutch. Proper hill hold releases the brakes as the clutch in engages. Means if the car in front looks like going, then doesn't within 2 seconds off you go down a hill backwards.

You can work around it..by driving like it's not there..which defeats the point of having it a bit.
                        Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                        Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Working...
                        X