No announcement yet.

So what's your average mpg! No lies please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's always the problem with these figures isn't it ? Way too many variables between cars, tyres, driving styles roads etc. In my Fuelly calc above I am averaging 58mpg on my last fill up due to motorway driving, more normally I see between 54-56 with a mix of urban/extra urban driving.... As I frequently say I also run the AC Climate control 100% of the time and that also has a big effect on the mpg
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH:) View Post
      no need to define. just a road that isnt a motorway -_-
      I think you may find a difference between, say, the Hard Knot Pass and the A1

JB

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
        Lol!!! Computer lies!!!

Really guys, computers can't lie. They just work with the data supplied, which in that case you can argue that Fuelly is lying too.

Just work it out with some good old fashioned maths, it's not that difficult
        That's exactly what I do! My maths shows the computer overstates the MPG by about 10% - so let's change 'lies' (I'm not in a court of law at the moment so a bit too free with my word choice, lol), to the computer 'overstates'! So the computer is set 'generously' 'me Lord'!

Now the computers my business is involved with, keep planes in the air, they are very, very, precise! (did someone mention OCD? lol)...

Clive.
        CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
        DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

I'm with you Clive the DS3 onboard comp does seem to generously overstate MPG at times.... Did you check out the Mila pics I posted for you in the other thread ?
          sigpic

Comment

My speedo reads high by about 6 or 7% as calibrated against my sat nav. eg speedo 32mph corresponds to actual (sat nav) speed 30mph. I assume that means the distance run is also overstated by a similar amount. If the car's computer is calculating fuel consumption from the same distance run figure, that should overstate the mpg.

However my experience is the same as others are reporting here. I have always kept an accurate record of fuel consumption for my cars - I keep an Excel spreadsheet (my wife says I'm sad) and always run full to full.

I am confused.
            Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

I'd go with your spreadsheet to be honest, like yours my TomTom shows the speed about 6/7% less than then car shows, I also think it slightly overstates the mpg compared to my rough calcs. As I'm now registered for Fuelly I should have a better idea of my actual mpg
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, an mpg thread...

HOW DO I GET MY LEDs ON AT NIGHT PLEEEEEEEASE ?

Mines still 80 on the comp but actual is 70-75.

Comment

Those numbers :o Myeah.. I'm not an economical driver.. But you don't buy a THP for that.. My mpg varies from 40 (motorway driving) to 28 (urban driving). Damn those traffic light grandprix!

Comment

My 120VTi is averaging 39.32 mpg over its first three years/24,300 miles. No doubt it would be more if I:

a) moved somewhere flat.
                    b) drove as though I gave a damn about economy.

According to GPS my speedo over-reads by about 2 mph at pretty much any speed.

The trip computer is the most accurate I've ever had. It's usually within 2% of the actual consumption for a tankful & has, on several occasions, given a lower reading than the actual consumption.

As for 55 mpg being the most economical speed, that's something of a myth brought about by the old official fuel consumption testing methods. Consumption was measured on an urban cycle & at two steady speeds, 80 km/h & 120 km/h. The 80 km/h steady speed consumption (approximately 55 mph) was always the best figure, which gave rise to the belief that this was the most economical speed to drive at. Without access to speed/consumption figures it's impossible to state the most economical speed for a given vehicle.

If you're so concerned about fuel consumption that you're prepared to crawl about holding up traffic, take the bus!
                    Last edited by DaveB; 08-08-2013, 15:34.

Comment

4200 miles on the clock.
                      9 month old
                      120 VTi.

This week it claims 38.9mpg but I did about half a tank on the motor way, usually shows nearer to 32mpg and that is just driving through town at less than 30 everywhere...
                      sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
                      Third time around.
                      Work in Progress

Comment

DSport Plus 115 diesel and I am getting according to the trip compute an average of 54.3.
                        Or more what i look at approximately 500 odd to a tank.

The trip computer winds me up though, it just feels like it changes too frequently and it feels inaccurate. Although maybe that's due to having a steep hill on the way to work, eats the MPG on the way up and returns it on the way down

Comment

1.6 thp 155 ....... my best MPG was over the first 7000 miles = 39.1 saved that on trip 2.

7000 miles to about 10000 couldn't get it over 36.1

Since my drive chain has been replaced 2 weeks ago im getting 38.6

I base all these changes in MPG in changes to my driving style. Initially went steady .....then started pushing her .....now going steady again after drive chain.

Ive come from a clio 182 which I got 28 if I was lucky and drove so slow I may aswell of had a 1.2 Clio ......

So im happy with the DS3 :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
                          ***** Clio 182 182BHP - SOLD *****
                          ***** DS3 DSport Plus 155THP - SOLD *****
                          ***** Audi S3 300BHP - KEEPING *****
                          ***** DS3 Performance Black 210THP - CANCELLED ORDER *****

sigpic

Comment

I can get about 420/440 miles out of a full tank that's to the brim £70 :-s

Comment

Same here- 39.1 miles over first 7000 miles on my THP 150
                              Put a sports cat and bigger exhaust within 500 miles of getting my 155, and around 40.3 first few thousand miles

Compare that to the 1100cc new Fiesta my wife has at around 39 miles mpg and it looks good
                              Apparently Ford know all about their poor mpg
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Have a 150 THP car tells me I'm getting 29mpg so a little worse in reality I guess. Don't bother figuring it out for myself. Not going to change my driving style anyway.
                                Originally posted by cyclone
                                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                                Originally posted by Broda
                                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                                X