No announcement yet.

steamy windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use air con and too cold cool air to clear the internal mist, you can get condensate building up on the outside of the windscreen
    Knack is to get the temperature right
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

my temprature is usally on 21. any clues for what pps have theres on??
      sigpic

Comment

Mine gets condensed also. French stupidity, if you turn AC off there is no blow at all. In other cars I am used to it to turn the compressor off and leave the fan on.
        The trick for me was to manually turn the fan on speed 2/3, and blowing on windows.
        Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
        ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJH2389 View Post
          my temprature is usally on 21. any clues for what pps have theres on??
          Mine is usually on 20.

If it's been a cold night, I'll put on the front / rear de-misters for 5 mins when I'm getting ready to go. Once they've cleared I'll turn them off and haven't had any issue with the screens misting up again.
          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by DJH2389 View Post
            But on a more serious note i have this problem too air con always on when i get in car its clear then when i drive for 20 secs its misted up and cant see a bloody thing a minute to minute 30secs later its clear. any ideas???
            When you first start the ac takes a little bit to start working and dehumidify the air being blown on the windscreen. So these first seconds the humid outside air is being blown on the cold windscreen causing it to mist up. Once the ac is fully working it clears again.
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Its between 19 and 21 on a chilly day start to the day.
              But its certainly a balancing act

ed- and as said in earlier post, a spray of demister inside the windscreen certainly helps for a few days
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Same problem here I start the car and demist front window turn off the AC as its too cold at 5am and within a minute or two it steams up again so AC on again until cleared but this gets really monotonous.
                is this a problem for the dealers or am I doing something daft?

Comment

yea...getting up at 5
                  DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                  Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Oh yeah 5am its just a dream getting up at that time :mad: a misted up window is just what you need when still trying to wake from zombie like slumber

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo260 View Post
                      Same problem here I start the car and demist front window turn off the AC as its too cold at 5am and within a minute or two it steams up again so AC on again until cleared but this gets really monotonous.
                      You could put the AC onto 'heat' i.e. turn up the temperature to 24/25 with the AC still on. AC doesn't just cool it can heat as well and will also keep the windows clear of misting
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo260 View Post
                        Just leave the AC on. It won't cool the air below the temperature it's set at, but it will take the moisture out of the air.

Comment

By leaving aircon an all the time you keep the inside of your car as dry as possible and lower the level of condensation ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Force
                          sigpic
                          Gone but not forgotten....replaced by SEAT Ibiza Toca in Black

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            By leaving aircon an all the time you keep the inside of your car as dry as possible and lower the level of condensation ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Force
                            yes but i dont want to freeze to death on my way to work id like to maintain 16 - 18 degrees c but at that temp it just blows out stone cold air so not an option, although my car is in for its 1st service today and I've asked them to look at heater as any temp I set below 20 c it just blows out cold air so we'll see what they say
                            I am expecting them to say that is normal as the guy who picked up my car said that's what its supposed to do but my argument was if its say -5 c and set to 18 it should blow out hot air to try to achieve that temp

oh well fingers crossed they sort it and then i cant set heaters to 18 and clear the screen without cooking as anything over that is just too hot for me to drive in I start getting tired and traveling 35 miles at 5 am then turning heating up is a bad combo lol

Comment

You can run the AC at any temperature you wish, the nature of the AC condenser will remove the moisture in the air. When you switch the AC off you are inviting the damp air back into the car which then hits the warm surface and causes the steam.

Think of a kettle boiling near a window.
                              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                              Bigfeet's File Repository
                              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I think I'm right in saying that the numbers displayed are not the actual temperature (it's in the handbook) they are a guide though, my advice would be to up it to 22 ish and see how you go with that
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X