Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
    Gonna use the V-Power in my tank, and get back to Ultimate me
    When you say hesitation x6411 what sort of hesitation?
    Pulling away? changing up/down then accelerating, deadspots, overtaking/ or the full blown dont go much when you put your foot down
    Obviously we have the colder weather coming in, and that could make an uneven idle for first 10 minutes
    Also best not use the turbo till engine warm

Sorry again for thread hijack
    CBLUE
    The THP engine and ECU control allows for a fast warm up procedure, where the water and oil systems are on demand, the water cooling control pump does not operate (circulate coolant) keeping the 2 stage electro thermostat closed until engine working temperature of 105°c is reached, the oil on demand system control limits the amount of flow during this fast warm up procedure.

All the time this fast warm up procedure is happening your turbo is already working, the turbo is driven continuously off the exhaust gasses, and the sooner you use the available boost the faster your engine reaches its optimal working temperature.
    Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

Comment

OK Czar- so whens 105c reached?
      Assuming thats the mid range of the gauge it can be up to 10 minutes
      Yes- the exhaust runs the turbo. But then theres not a lot of exhaust if you dont accelrate due to a cold engine
      So I'm sticking to let the engine warm a bit till I floor it
      Problem is- if you only do small journeys for a few days- flooring its not an option

x6411- thats seems the common problem. (Search other for threads)
      Make sure your RAC/AA is up to scratch as your limp mode may kick in (Dont mean to P u off)
      CBLUE
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

OK Czar- so whens 105c reached?
        Assuming thats the mid range of the gauge it can be up to 10 minutes
        Yes- the exhaust runs the turbo. But then theres not a lot of exhaust if you dont accelrate due to a cold engine
        So I'm sticking to let the engine warm a bit till I floor it
        Problem is- if you only do small journeys for a few days- flooring its not an option

x6411- thats seems the common problem. (Search other for threads)
        Make sure your RAC/AA is up to scratch as your limp mode may kick in (Dont mean to P u off)
        CBLUE
        Yeah I've been reading the many many threads popping up since I got the car in June 11, always thinking... 'Ah well they must have fixed it by now!' -- Apparently not!

I'll play it out and see how it goes. If it keeps happening I'll pop to the garage

Comment

You're doing it wrong
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Cold engine- I dont floor it- after that - hey/hey wanna play?

Mines June 11 (Stating the obvious) Its great 15K in! Hope yours gets better X6411- lets hope a simple thing

CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by x6411 View Post
              Like a kind of judder when accelerating.. Usually in 3rd/4th/5th - Kind of like the judder you would get if you tried to pull away in too high of a gear, I haven't really noticed a pattern of when it is happening, because it hasn't been happening very often (yet!?)

One example was I was in sixth doing about 65, the traffic ahead cleared so I changed to fifth and accelerated... Smooooth acceleration at first, as you would usually expect...Then a few seconds later while continuing to accelerate... Judder!
              Only just seen this post. Please, please, please get it booked into your local dealer to check and tighten the tensioner!
              cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Is it true you hear a loud clicking when the engine first starts, which is the tensioner trying to wratchet up?
                Been paranoid enough to have a quick listen with the bonnet up now and again
                Also- believe loosing a bit of oil/ oil round spark plugs area/ No mech me but these are signs of things looming so I understand
                Not exhaustive list obviously- and may only be a minor problem
                CBLUE
                Last edited by Chris_Blue; 01-10-2012, 21:25.
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Cold engine- I dont floor it- after that - hey/hey wanna play?

Mines June 11 (Stating the obvious) Its great 15K in! Hope yours gets better X6411- lets hope a simple thing

CBLUE
                  Mine has been great too, up until around 18k
                  Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                  Only just seen this post. Please, please, please get it booked into your local dealer to check and tighten the tensioner!
                  I think I might do before something gets worse! Cheers
                  Is it true you hear a loud clicking when the engine first starts, which is the tensioner trying to wratchet up?
                  Also- believe loosing a bit of oil/ oil round spark plugs area/ No mech me but these are signs of things looming so I understand
                  CBLUE
                  I haven't heard a loud clicking yet, but then again I haven't really been listening out for it. I've been keeping an eye out for oil around the plugs, haven't really noticed any, but I'll keep checking!

Comment

X6411- Have continued your loss of power issue in thread THP power loss
                    Getting back to the petrol issue- what petrol have you been using till now x6411? Whatever is available?
                    CBLUE
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                      CBLUE
                      Ok guys lets have a little look at the tensioner and it's components, and hopefully this will help in understanding how it works, the tensioner is a pre tensioned spring/hydraulic actuation piston, and the later tensioners have a longer (10mm) piston.

Here is the timing chain tensioner in situ alongside the electro/hydraulic vanos (timing) control solenoid.

Here is the timing chain tensioner when in situ, looking down the timing chain valley, with the rest of the timing components removed for image

And here are the complete timing components, laid out for simulation purposes only, as they would be otherwise installed in the engine.

And in this image you can see the route the dipstick takes.
                      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Thanks Czar. I like too see actual components rather than just visualize them from diagrams.
                        Originally posted by cyclone
                        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                        Originally posted by Broda
                        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Did you design the engine, or some of it, Czar?
                          Good pics- lot easier to understand
                          CBLUE
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                            Thanks Czar. I like too see actual components rather than just visualize them from diagrams.
                            Your welcome.

Did you design the engine, or some of it, Czar?
                            Good pics- lot easier to understand
                            CBLUE
                            No I didn't design the engine, that said, I do have a great involvement in the Automobile and Motorsport industries on many various levels and boards.

An amalgamation between Peugeot and BWM known as PSA are responsible for the engine, Peugeot already had a similar engine design the 1.6 TU and so a simple revision design and casting technology was implemented, resulting in a very light yet sturdy and compact engine block, known as the EP6 DT/S CDT/X (THP) and BMW were mainly responsible for the cylinder head and supplying the BMW vanos camshaft valvetrain components, utilising the very latest in lost foam casting procedures.
                            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

X6411- Have continued your loss of power issue in thread THP power loss
                              Getting back to the petrol issue- what petrol have you been using till now x6411? Whatever is available?
                              CBLUE
                              Thanks! I've been using regular unleaded from Shell/BP, avoiding supermarket stuff, until the hesitation problems when I tried the VPower. I think I'll pop to the garage this weekend and see what they tell me!

Also, Czar, love reading your posts, I always learn something new!

Comment

Would suggest keeping to the good stuff as it burns cleaner, keeping the jets clean- but then again it shouldnt make a difference
                                CBLUE
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X