X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil catch tanks help/advice

Hello everyone and happy 2017

My next mod on my list is a much needed oil catch tank
    I've read a few posts about having a dual /double oil catch tanks ..also our thp engine needs 19mm hoses for the oil catch tank?

What options do we have available for an oil catch tank other than the super expensive forge one?
    also anyone kind enough to take some photos as well of the dual catch tank setup ? it will b e helpful for me to see where to bold it up in the engine bay etc.

Great thread, eagle, i was looking for this too. I find a thread that czar talks about this brand: http://www.42draftdesigns.com/oil-catch-cans/ but dont know which one or how
    we can fit this ...

Comment

A question that i have ... Despites the price, the forge one isnt a good option ?

Comment

I join the question about forge. Does it give any advantage or its Just nice looking thing on the engine ?

Comment

http://www.saikoumichi.com/general_product_list.html

A lot of people are using them on their ds3/ mini cooper s cars and they are very satisfied. I have emailed saikoumitchi and they replied back ,,they have one for the mini cooper s with 19mm hoses and also mounting brackets,,,they also sell bigger 19mm lines and extra mounting brackets if you need some.
          Its much cheaper than the forge and also its a dual tank so I don't see any reason for going for the super expensive forge?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
            http://www.saikoumichi.com/general_product_list.html

A lot of people are using them on their ds3/ mini cooper s cars and they are very satisfied. I have emailed saikoumitchi and they replied back ,,they have one for the mini cooper s with 19mm hoses and also mounting brackets,,,they also sell bigger 19mm lines and extra mounting brackets if you need some.
            Its much cheaper than the forge and also its a dual tank so I don't see any reason for going for the super expensive forge?
            It actually catches stuff as well unlike others mentioned.
            White on red THP
            Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Jamie did you buy longer hoses and extra clamps from them to fit your dual tanks?

Comment

Edited, didn't read...

Unless things have changed, they only provide mounting brackets for the mini, you will likely need to make up a bracket to fit.

Be aware that you will need hose capable of withstanding the turbo's boost pressure for the rear catch can. And a 25 to 19mm adapter for the front one.
                Last edited by tch; 29-01-2017, 08:18.

Comment

In brief (omitting the price), Forge OCT is just a waste of time? It just dont work or it does but not as good as saikoumichi ? Better to have forge or none of those OCT?

Comment

I meant is it better to have nothing or forge (now forge price into account )?

Comment

The Forge one definitely is better than nothing, I'm sure it works fine, but the price puts most people off.

Comment

Heres a piccie of mine. Heat/oil resistant pipework, catch can is on the right, on a pre fabricated bracket behind the headlamp, painted red

The Forge one, with its location the top of the engine, seemed a strange location as when the engine stops, any fluid will roll back down.

sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	360890

Whats this fuse about? Its on one of the hoses going to the turbo ..,any suggestions what to do with it when installing an oil catch tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]13849[/ATTACH]

Whats this fuse about? Its on one of the hoses going to the turbo ..,any suggestions what to do with it when installing an oil catch tank?
                            The plug is for a heating eliment that is supposed to keep the pvc vapour from freezing as it enters the intake tract. After disconnecting it put some tape on it to keep it clean and tuck it out of the way with a zip tie to keep it from flopping around.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

hi does anyone know if I were to use -10 hose which has an id of 14mm I think for piping would it cause any issues ?

Comment

Working...
                              X